Cam belt snapped on Peugeot partner please help!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Cam belt snapped on Peugeot partner please help!

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The factors supply them in kits, got mine from my usual factor here:
If you scroll down and click on the 'Parts Alliance' link it will almost certainly list a supplier near you.

http://www.gmfmotorfactors.co.uk/
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think his is a 1.6 Richard, I can't see any listed for that but there are loads of 16 valve ones, don't know if they are the same?

Peter
JayRenton
My Cars: Peugeot Partner

Post by JayRenton »

Cheers, I’ve tried that code and it seems to cover earlier years too, it also says (9HN) what does that mean?

James
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Peter.N. wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 10:57 I think his is a 1.6 Richard, I can't see any listed for that but there are loads of 16 valve ones, don't know if they are the same?

Peter

Same ones are fitted to lots of DV series engines by the looks of it Peter, both 1.4 and 1.6.
Richard W
JayRenton

Post by JayRenton »

Bit of an update guys! First off thanks for all the help so far!
So I’ve stripped the covers off and taken the cam out and all 8 rockers are broken and one of the valve spring tops has come off, looks like one of the rockers had got caught in there compressing it making the collets fall out, I’ve clamped my cordless drill onto the valve and spun it around I dont think it’s Bent but it’s hard to tell, is there a way to compress and refit the springbwith the head still on?
I’m wondering if it’s worth just taking the head off and checking it all out it it much of a job?

Turned out the water pump seized solid.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Bit of a mission pulling the head off if there still may be no damage, perhaps you could take the injector out and feed compressed air in through the hole to hold the valve up while you carefully refit spring/collets. It'd require some adaptation of either a scrap injector or diesel compression test adaptor to fit on an airline but would certainly give a better idea of if the valve is bent or not, since you'd hear massive rush of air escaping if it's not sealing well.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

JayRenton wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 14:40 Bit of an update guys! First off thanks for all the help so far!
So I’ve stripped the covers off and taken the cam out and all 8 rockers are broken and one of the valve spring tops has come off, looks like one of the rockers had got caught in there compressing it making the collets fall out, I’ve clamped my cordless drill onto the valve and spun it around I dont think it’s Bent but it’s hard to tell, is there a way to compress and refit the springbwith the head still on?
I’m wondering if it’s worth just taking the head off and checking it all out it it much of a job?

Turned out the water pump seized solid.

I had the same problem with mine, a bit of a struggle but you can put the spring and collets back on without taking the head off, if you pull the injector out and feed in a bit of rope or similar (I used a bit of flat plastic telephone extension cable) on top of the piston then bring it to the top it will hold the valve in place while you refit the spring etc. Mind your language :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

That would be a preferable option yes, I forgot if it was possible to do the rope trick with these or not (suppose being direct injection should've given me a clue!) :)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
JayRenton

Post by JayRenton »

Cheers that’s put my mind a rest then, I’ve ordered the parts picking them up in the morning.

What can I use to compress the valve spring? The usual tool is like a g clamp I’m thinking? Usually with the head off?
JayRenton

Post by JayRenton »

Actually I think I can fabricate something I’ve got an idea!
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Actually, since this is an "interference" engine, simply putting the piston at tdc should hold the valve sufficiently closed to enable you to fit the collets, provided you can compress the spring. Be careful not to exert much force on the valve stem, as the head will be sitting directly on top of the piston. The pressure you could conceivably apply may be a lot more than it took to break the rockers, especially as the shock of that impact will have greatly magnified the forces actually applied! Try pushing a panel pin into a picture frame, without swinging the hammer. You'll most likely smash the frame!
However, with care, it should be possible to do this without removing the injectors. I believe disturbing as little as possible is the right course, because it removes possible causes of any misfire that may be apparent on reassembly.
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
JayRenton

Post by JayRenton »

Thanks! That’s good advice and make perfect sense!!
JayRenton

Post by JayRenton »

Bit of an update guys I’ve managed to refit the valve spring today luckily and started bolting it all back together.
This might be a silly question but I’ve rotated the crank and fitted a 5mm drill bit in there so does that mean It’s in the right position to time it back up? I still need to tighten down the camshaft but I just wanted to check first basically If the crank rotates 360 degrees would it go back to where it started?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It would be best to set the crank with the pistons down the bores, bolt the camshaft down and time it, then carefully advance the crank to the timing position to avoid any potential valve / piston contact. Trouble is, I've no idea if the timing position is at TDC on one of the cylinders or not.... Only easy way to find that out would be to remove the sump and watch the big ends - unless you could get in there with a small borescope via the sump drain and see one of the big ends.

Note also that you may have trouble starting this - Lighty says he often has to tow start 1.6 HDis after head work as the oil drains out of the tappets, and the starter is not fast enough to rebuild the pressure.
Richard W
JayRenton

Post by JayRenton »

I think my head is going to explode lol!

I’m pretty sure that I had to rotate the crank from it’s pinned position for the piston to hold the valve up while i re fitted the spring/collets! Which would indicate that the pistons could be at mid bore when pinned for timing up in these engines!
I just cant remember if I had it pinned in the flywheel or by the crank pulls!

Does anyone know the position of the pistons on this engine when locked for timing up?

Thanks James