205 - Reg Plate Lights shorting out

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

eifion
My Cars: 1972 Citroen DS
1988 Peugeot 205 XR
1990 Peugeot 205 Van
1998 Citroen XM Estate

205 - Reg Plate Lights shorting out

Post by eifion »

Driving to work on Monday in my '88 205 I was flashed at by a number of cars behind me. Not because they liked my car but because my rear lights weren't working at all. Having investigated what's wrong I've discovered that the live wire from the right-hand rear light to the number plate lights is earthing somewhere causing the fuse to blow as soon as I turn the lights on.

Has anyone else here had this problem? While it seems like an easy thing to fix, I'm struggling with trying to get access to the full length of the wire without removing the rear bumper which I really don't want to do as I can't imagine it's going to come off easily. I'm open to any suggestions as to how I can get the lights working again.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 205 - Reg Plate Lights shorting out

Post by CitroJim »

I had this on my 205GTi...

Frayed wires.. I had to do a bit of re-wiring but i don't recall it was overly difficult...

I managed it without removing the bumper but exactly how I cannot now recall...

I may have used the old wiring as a 'draw wire' to pull the new ones in...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
eifion
1988 Peugeot 205 XR
1990 Peugeot 205 Van
1998 Citroen XM Estate

Post by eifion »

Frayed wires were what I suspected. It's good to hear that the job can be done without removing the bumper. I'll try the draw-wire technique and see how it goes
eifion
1988 Peugeot 205 XR
1990 Peugeot 205 Van
1998 Citroen XM Estate

Post by eifion »

A draw wire was exactly the way to go in the end. It seems that one of the wires between the two number plate lights was firmly wedged to the bumper bracket and I suspect that this is where it was shorting. I've replace the whole length now and have a full complement of back lights again.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent 😃 Delighted the draw wire worked....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...