307 2.0 HDi 136 RHR EGR access

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tmead
Donor 2023
My Cars: Currently own:
308 1.6 HDi 90
Toyota Aygo
Toyota proace
208 1.2 Allure

307 2.0 HDi 136 RHR EGR access

Post by tmead »

Jut wondering if anyone has changed or cleaned an RHR EGR valve ? Its a sod to get to, right over the back, and one of the biggest issues is that its hidden behind the air intake pipe. My suspicion from looking at parts pictures and servicebox is that the intake pipe is held onto the turbo by a screw or nut, but there doesn't seem to be a way to see that or reach it ? The videos on youtube seem to be of RHR installs with lots more space and this pipe already removed ! I've seen advice to remove the top engine mount to allow the engine to tip forwards, which would give more access room. I'm panicking that if I get the damn thing removed I'll not be able to get it or a replacement back !

There's also a T30 screw up into the underside of the EGR valve that I can only just reach over the top and down the back - is there a way to access this from underneath ?

For goodness sake - we've all known for many years that EGR valves need to be changed at some point in many car's lives, so why on earth would a designer put it in such a godawful place to access ? Mind you, the turbo doesn't look much fun to get to either...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: 307 2.0 HDi 136 RHR EGR access

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You could try using one of the EGR cleaning sprays. Make sure to follow the instructions properly (as it will cause the engine to race while you are using the spray), but it could clean the valve for you.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
tmead
Donor 2023
308 1.6 HDi 90
Toyota Aygo
Toyota proace
208 1.2 Allure

Post by tmead »

Sadly not, as its blanked, and has been for a good long while. Its only recently that I've heard the egr cycling when I turn the engine off, and have noted a couple of fault messages on pp related to the egr. I don't have fault numbers to hand, but one was about egr self cleaning I think.
tmead
Donor 2023
308 1.6 HDi 90
Toyota Aygo
Toyota proace
208 1.2 Allure

Post by tmead »

I've finally taken the plunge and dealt with it.

Top tips :
1. remove wipers, trim rail and trim from bottom of windscreen. Yes I know, strange to access the EGR valve by taking the wipers off, but there you go !
2. remove the oil vapour hose that takes fumes from the rocker cover back to the inlet - it's fragile. It clips off the rocker cover end with a button, and pulls/wriggles off the inlet. The rubber seal needs to be inside the pipe end to push back over the inlet tube spigot
3. remove the egr pipe. The torx screws holding it at the front of the engine are a pain to get to, and will require a torx key, as there is no access for a socket/screwdriver with torx bit
4. unplug egr connector
5. slacken T30 (?) screw that enters the underside of the EGR valve. Its a sod to get to, but does not need to come right out. It is possible to reach over the back of the engine from above, but does require lying on the engine
6. remove two M6 (10mm socket) bolts holding the valve to the cooler. Make sure you don't drop the socket (grin)
7. the egr is fixed to the back of the engine with two 8mm head bolts, these need to come out.
8. the egr will lift away - take care as there is a metal gasket between the valve and the cooler. This will fall away if you don't try to catch it !

Mine had developed a sticky spot when fully open. I bought a spare cheap off ebay, and the mushroom type head had broken off, and the yoke holding the cam follower was cracked (needless to say the advert didnt mention this). Given that I've run with a blanking plate for the last 60K, I dont need the valve bit to actually function, just to tell the ECU that it is working ! I broke the yoke off completely, whacked the EGR shaft through until it just stops the cam plate at the max stroke and added a longer nut onto one of the studs to act as a stop at the closed end. youtube shows the movement pretty well. (not mine).

First actuation tests on planet gave faulty indications - i was kind of expecting this, as some places on the web say the valve has to be 'coded in'. I found the configuration page for the ECU, and pressed F5 for configuration. bingo. no more error codes so far.....

All thats left now is a similar fix for the 308 1.6 that has just started throwing EGR valve codes too !
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Very interesting. I'm just curious as to how the EGR developed a fault if it wasn't passing any exhaust gas in the first place?

I hear the EGR valve cycling when I stop the engine too, quite often. I don’t have any fault lights but my engine ECU reports a minor fault, something like "measured air above setting" but I've never bothered to find out what exactly it means.
tmead
Donor 2023
308 1.6 HDi 90
Toyota Aygo
Toyota proace
208 1.2 Allure

Post by tmead »

Sorry for delayed response - I've been rushed off my feet with other stuff !

The old EGR off the car sticks fully open. pushing on the valve head will free it, but its almost impossible to free by rotating the drive end. I've now had it on the bench and wiggled it and cleaned it so that it works OK again, but it still feels notchy around the fully open

The replacment has not 'taught' correctly, and the ECU is occasionally unhappy about ditance from taught position or somthing. The fault seems to be pretty much ignored, and doesnt throw lights or limp, so I'll live with it !