Handbrake not working

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Welshy_Pete
My Cars: 306 hdi 1999 + 306 hdi 2000

Handbrake not working

Post by Welshy_Pete »

Hello to cut a long story short the car had a new brake servo, new rear calipers, discs, pads and handbrake cables. So the back all new now 4 or 5 months ago.

The front today have new discs and pads so there new now and work fine.

The big problem I'm still having the car seems to hold backwards better down hill then facing forward down hill.

I've tried slackening the handbrake right off and pumping the pedal while the engine off then a just handbrake centre console.

306 hdi with brake discs front and rear
Last edited by Welshy_Pete on 08 Nov 2017, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Handbrake not working

Post by CitroJim »

Pete, if the rears are drums than I'd be very keen to have the drums off and check the automatic adjusters - they are known to be very 'iffy' as they age...

Often they get a bit sluggish due to being coated by a sticky mixture of brake dust and brake fluid that may have seeped out of a leaky wheel cylinder...

Indeed, it could be leaking slave cylinders contamination eh shoes and making for poor brake performance at the rear...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I would suspect that the pads fitted might be too hard.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its anything like the 406 design which uses discs for the main brake and drums for the hand brake it pretty useless anyway, I have to adjust the handbrake immediately before the MOT for it to pass, pity because its about the only bit of bad design on the car, the drums are to small.

Peter
Welshy_Pete

Post by Welshy_Pete »

CitroJim wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 07:35 Pete, if the rears are drums than I'd be very keen to have the drums off and check the automatic adjusters - they are known to be very 'iffy' as they age...

Often they get a bit sluggish due to being coated by a sticky mixture of brake dust and brake fluid that may have seeped out of a leaky wheel cylinder...

Indeed, it could be leaking slave cylinders contamination eh shoes and making for poor brake performance at the rear...

Hello there rear discs on the back everything all new as well.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welshy_Pete wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 17:37
CitroJim wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 07:35 Pete, if the rears are drums than I'd be very keen to have the drums off and check the automatic adjusters - they are known to be very 'iffy' as they age...

No worries Pete, the info I posed may be useful to the drum fraternity :)

I'll go with Mikes thoughts on hard compound pads... Modern pads are a lot harder than those back when your car was new due to the absence of asbestos and other potentially nasty stuff in them... Hard pads need a lot more force and perhaps more than a handbrake pull can exert...

Hard pads are why discs wear so quickly these days...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Welshy_Pete

Post by Welshy_Pete »

CitroJim wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 17:42
Welshy_Pete wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 17:37

No worries Pete, the info I posed may be useful to the drum fraternity :)

I'll go with Mikes thoughts on hard compound pads... Modern pads are a lot harder than those back when your car was new due to the absence of asbestos and other potentially nasty stuff in them... Hard pads need a lot more force and perhaps more than a handbrake pull can exert...

Hard pads are why discs wear so quickly these days...

So what brand brake pads are softer that I could get or any better.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I have found that Ferodo or Mintex pads have good friction characteristics. Genuine pads should also be OK. Check eBay for any bargains in those brands.