Why's It Rotted?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Re: Why's It Rotted?

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

thanks for the advice 'bout the oil Peter :)
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 19:36 Certainly cheaper Jim. 8-)

Yes, the downside potentially is that it needs to be done regularly and certainly more frequently that using waxes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

True Jim but the oil creeps into the seems because it remains liquid, wax, unless you do it on a very hot day will set before it gets there, oil will also go on creeping all the time its there.

Wax is good for exposed surfaces as it doesn't get washed off and you can see whether it has covered the area to be protected. Oil 'goes on working when the rest have stopped'. :wink:

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter, excellent :) That makes sense... Wax on the outside and oil on the inside then ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Peter.N. wrote: 07 Nov 2017, 10:04 True Jim but the oil creeps into the seems because it remains liquid, wax, unless you do it on a very hot day will set before it gets there, oil will also go on creeping all the time its there.

Wax is good for exposed surfaces as it doesn't get washed off and you can see whether it has covered the area to be protected. Oil 'goes on working when the rest have stopped'. :wink:

Peter

Then get a good "Wax" that does creep but also has added corrosion inhibitors in it. There is not a "one product for all".

I agree that Waxoil does not creep, B&H products for example does make the correctly creeping wax (if that is a term :) )
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

2.jpg
Uploading the latest pics to my PC, thought I'd attach a couple of copies as a 'FYI Update' :-D
Attachments
1.jpg
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Looking good :)
Jim

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Quick question: has anyone found a close-ish match for Peugeot Alpine White in a readily available paint colour?

....that's the 'proper' and very common (in its day) white rather than the creamy white

I could pay 20squid or thereabouts to have Alpine White mixed, but that's not gonna happen. Barring advice here its probably gonna be Ford Diamond White

Further pic, nearly there
Attachments
IMG_1198a.jpg
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

What about Polar White, the colour of my Saxo?

That's a bright white...
Jim

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

nice little Saxo that too, I did have a gander at your blog.

Nipped into an independent accessory shop earlier, it seems the whole 'paints' thing has changed, there's various 'shades' of metallics and non-metallics in the different colours. I've picked up a can of Holts HCR03, its a white and it's one of about three that have been in use since the 1980's, so fingers crossed

..and at the end of the day, it is only a B Pillar.

No progress today, hoping to avoid removing the rear door in the course of getting it all flatted & skimmed (filler) tomorrow. I did already remove the card though, so will have the 'joy' of refitting the interior button at a later date, proper PITA job.
Puxa
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

further couple of pix just to 'close' this thread....

Just a slight skim of filler
then lots of time faffing about with sandpaper, paint & masking tape
Its not perfect, but its not half bad...

Taking a tea break from 'persuading' a new D Bush onto my Wishbone now.... PITA !
(specially as I only replaced it about 2years and 25k ago)

NB: if anyone's got a scrap angle grinder with a good commutator in it, I'm after one. Replaced the carbon brushes and they destroyed the commutator.
Attachments
1 Just a Small Skim.jpg
2 Done.jpg
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's looking good :)
Jim