Threaded Mode | Linear Mode Would immobiliser cause a car to stop after it already run for 3 minutes?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pookytech
My Cars: Synergie XUD9
Peugeot 806 Hdi

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode Would immobiliser cause a car to stop after it already run for 3 minutes?

Post by pookytech »

As the xud powered buses (Synergie, 806 and Ulysse) are getting fewer I was unwise enough to buy for my mate Ulysse with the Peugeot immo keypad. He had many happy miles so far but now after 3 minutes drive the car died and won't restart. The immo connects to the AS3 VP20 Bosch pumps stop solenoid. I'm thinking about bypassing the immo but to do that the pump armour is in a way. Same for getting to the solenoid. I can't feel or hear it click but it's same on my - still running car. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

I already checked the immo accepts the code and there is a 12V going to the pump from it. Losened one of the injectors pipe and no fuel coming through when cranking. Cambelt seems happy and still has the right tension. Also changed fuel filter.

The questions arising are:

Should I try to break the armour to get to the solenoid or test something else first?
Swap whole pump for known working pump (which I already have) For swapping the pump, would I need to redo the timing? My thinking is that if I leave the timing in TDC and I took of the old pump in TDC position, it should just work?

Will appreciate any ideas or links to tutorials or videos.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Threaded Mode | Linear Mode Would immobiliser cause a car to stop after it already run for 3 minutes?

Post by Peter.N. »

Is there any fuel coming out of the pump on the return pipe? Sudden failure could just be a lack of fuel due to an air leak or blockage, if there is a good supply of fuel exiting the pump only then would I suspect the solenoid.

Peter
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Re: Threaded Mode | Linear Mode Would immobiliser cause a car to stop after it already run for 3 minutes?

Post by ekjdm14 »

Also, when the code is entered into the keypad do you get the green light or is there a problem here perhaps (red light = wrong code, no light or red and green together = fault with immobiliser system).

To be fair though, the immobiliser shouldn't be able to stop an already running engine so provided there's fuel reaching the pump and the pump is being turned by the cambelt then it's likely the electronic side of things and stop solenoid or it's wiring would be prime suspects.

If you do go the de-armouring route it's probably easier with the pump on the bench so in that respect I'd rather modify a known good spare pump to go on and then swap them (there's 2 bolt holes in the pulley that allow you to fix the pulley in place and remove/replace the pump without upsetting the cambelt, just leaving you to tighten the replacement in the same place as the original. To that end, scribe a line on the bracket before removing the old pump).

I have cut away the armour in-situ on a Lucas type pump before now with success but to my mind the Bosch type are tougher to do that way but not impossible with a bit of care and a good dremel tool. Do make sure there's fuel reaching the pump and that the pump is turning first off though ;)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Stop solenoid being supplied with 12v?

Air in fuel?
Filter/priming pump - if Purflux, the priming button should feel almost solid if there is no air in the fuel.
Bleed off at the fuel filter?
Check for air in fuel with a piece of well-fitted transparent pipe between filter and pump.

May not be at all relevant, but there was an issue on Citroen XM where fuel could become cut off after initially starting and running ok. This involved the fuel pump, which literally sucks fuel from the tank, becoming starved of fuel as the bottom of the plastic fuel tank rose and blocked off the tank pick-up pipe/strainer. Could be worth checking tank venting and continuity of supply. Longshot.
Chris