Clutch Thrust Bearing Noisy

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Clutch Thrust Bearing Noisy

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Hi Guys. My Clutch Thrust Bearing is noisy (ticking over with clutch up). Could I have done something wrong when I replaced the clutch about 38k ago (Jan 2014)? I did use a quality kit, Borg & Beck

I'm especially wondering if I was too sparing with the High Melting Point 'HM' Grease (I understood to not use much) that I put on the splines of the Gearbox main shaft - the only place I applied grease. Is there anywhere else I'm supposed to lubricate?

Would Thrust Bearing failure constitute a 'stranded' type breakdown, or should I be able to use it a crash box to get me home? I once drove a Mk5 'tina 5miles home on urban roads in such a fashion. The 'box is ropey anyway (worn synchro on 2nd, I should've changed it at the time but was being a tight-wad, I've got a spare one now) so I'm not fussed about wrecking synchro's with clutch-less changes.

Also, presumably, the more use the clutch gets, the more likely it is the thrust bearing's gonna give out, therefore would I be right in thinking its more likely to give out in an urban environment where lots of gear changing is required than on a long motorway run?

Thanks

NB: 'Push type' clutch, as its the normally aspirated XUD9
NB2: It wasn't noisy from the 'get go'
NB3: anyone interested in posts about welding here on FCF? Done lots of learning already, now looking at adding spot welding to my 'skill set' (always used plug, seam or butt welds til now) and sharing what I know with others... took me an age to 'get there', like to save others the nightmares I had. Did join a mig welding forum, but seems to be little activity on it.
Puxa
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Clutch Thrust Bearing Noisy

Post by Peter.N. »

I bought an XM in Slough and drove it home to Dorset without a clutch, its not to difficult when you have had a bit of practice.

Peter
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I rarely use the clutch in a manual, I have a lazy left leg.
I've driven cars (in the past) with noisy thrust bearings and never had an actual issue other than the noise
I'd just drive it and if it fails replace it with the gearbox. It's to big a job to do at this time of year unless it must be done as far as I'm concerned.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

thanks guys! As ever, one only has to ask :)
Puxa
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

It's nice to hear from you again, strange thing is I was only wondering last night how things were with the 405 and yourselves. Hope all is well with you and yours, besides this release bearing glitch? Speaking of which, I'd do as Elma suggests and run it till/if it pops then change the clutch & 'box in warmer weather hopefully.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Thanks ekjdm, good to hear likewise. How are you doing? :)

Things are pretty good, with a couple of caveats....
Old girl went down to Paris no bother back in July, 1,100miles in total. Accessory Sat-Nav gave up (resurrected by simply plugging it into the PC's USB - who knows!! ....as did Digital camera (that went in the bin). Electronic glitches seemed very appropriate, me, up to date, woo-hoo ! lol

Weather has frustrated plans for cutting rust out of B Pillar and Welding: seems to either be energy sappingly hot or heavy showers. Decided am gonna cut the door off, going through outer and inner skins to get to hinge on door side (rather than on shell) as numerous efforts to get the top pin to bolt have all come to nothing. Have correct colour replacement, but a little worried that remains of pin, seized within door mount, will still refuse to budge; then I'll be in trouble! Window mech not 100% so changing door 'll sort that.

Just realised it won't be free to tax in 2020, cars have to be 40years old for rolling tax exemption now, dammit, ie 1977 or prior at the mo.

Going beautifully, 253k now, apart from having to remove connection to stat housing cooling sender every few weeks, contacts repeatedly getting grotty enough for poor connection and to trigger rad fans. Do have a spare, but as you may remember I'm paro' about cooling systems, so rather a 10min faff with a little battery drill & model maker's rotary wire brush.

Trying and failing not to rev it harder thru the gears now its got a rev counter, went ape s**t on way up to Norfolk when SWMBO overtook a tractor on a single carriageway road (not sure, safely), taking it all the way to 4500rpm, kept going though, and smooth. Not likely to happen again!

Never got to the bottom of the earlier posted issue elsewhere here with tailgate courtesy light; tried everything, most odd. Should be so simple! Just ordered a little switch, gonna run a new Earth via the switch, which'll restore that to function. Minor issue but can be a right PITA, not having it working, partic in winter.

New issue just today with stereo, really poor output on rear channels, sometimes corrects itself briefly on fast right hand bends. Weird! Stereo undisturbed for some time. Yet to investigate, likely wiring somewhere. On same trip, a P plate 605 in Chieveley services. Rare or wot! Navy blue, are you reading this? Surprising total of approx 1,500 405's left according to How Many Left

Seems to all be about new cars this year: daughter's bought a C3 and just sourced a 2011 Micra for Mum-in-Law, just £1.5k (various small dinks & highish 90k miles). Mine's stopping !
Puxa
citroenguy
(Donor 2021)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: Hobby car + daily: 1996 Xantia 1.9TD SX 84k miles

Past:
Citroën C5 I 2.0i 16V SX Saloon-04
Citroën BX16RS -88 stolen and burned :(
Citroën BX 19GTi -89
Citroën C5 II 2.0i 16v -05
Citroën ZX 1.8i 16V Break -96
2x Rover 620 Sterling
Rover 620Ti
Volvo 850
Various C5 and Xantia bought and sold

Post by citroenguy »

Generally the release bearing is changed when putting on a new clutch, since its usually cheap. And on PSA vehicles with 5-speed boxes release bearing failure is common, at least modern-ish ones (late 90´s and up).
Since I'm a preventative maintenance kind of guy :-D I would fit the spare gearbox and a new release bearing at a good opportunity, before it breaks.. Preferably a mates shed/garage.
I have various repair handbooks and wiring diagrams for C5 mk1, Xantia, XM, Berlingo and C3 mk1.
I have Lexia/Diagbox (Sweden) and Servicebox/sedre
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Thanks Citroen Guy, lot of sense in preventative maint'. Garage or Shed, that'd be lovely.... not gonna happen though, be kerbside as usual.

Just a mention as an Addendum to this, I noticed a Series 1 405 Est (TD I think, but wasn't paying much attention so can't be sure) immediately outside the gates of a North Dorset Scrappies in the course of a long run yesterday. Can anyone save it? Got precious little info, plates had been removed and I didn't look underneath it or even all the way around it. Looked complete at the mo. Further info by pm if req'd.
Puxa
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

My 3-series BMW has a noisy release bearing. It's got no worse over the last 4500 miles.

My C4 had a noisy release bearing. That lasted 2 days after it started being noisy.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

That's how it goes - or doesn't as the case may be :wink:

Peter