207 1.4 16v head gasket

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mickeymoon

207 1.4 16v head gasket

Post by mickeymoon »

I've decided to keep the 207 when we replace the Berlingo, but it's got the standard oil leak from the right hand corner of the head. As ever, it'll be the headgasket. I'd imagine it doesn't nees a skim as it runs perfectly.

Is this a difficult DIY head gasket to do? Seems a shame as it was done 3 years ago with new belts, tensioners and waterpump. The smell of hot oil and the potential for it ruining alternators is beginning to worry me a lot.

If not a DIY task, how much would I be looking at to get a garage to do it?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 207 1.4 16v head gasket

Post by CitroJim »

I can't see it being difficult Mike... I’ve done a few 8V TU heads and I've done an ET3 cambelt - which is halfway there...

The 8V is the proverbial P of P :)

There’s no turbo to worry about and access is not too bad.

Remember the engine is a TU with an ally block and wet liners so the normal gotcha with retaining the liners to avoid disturbing their seals applies when you whip off her head...

The BoL covers it pretty well.

How bad is the leak? Mine leaks from there too but I live with it - for now...

I have only ever seen one TU dry there and that was on Alasdair's little AX...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You can change it...the leak will be back in a few months! I wonder if a bit of RTV on the gasket in that corner when fitting would stop the leak re-occurring?
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:You can change it...the leak will be back in a few months! I wonder if a bit of RTV on the gasket in that corner when fitting would stop the leak re-occurring?

That is so true Richard, about the leak coming back very quickly...

The RTV trick may well be worth a shot as there's no pressure there and it's no more than a gentle weep. It's much better than going to all the trouble of a HG change if it can be avoided.

I had to have the job done on my AX around 1996 because oil was pouring out but as I say, if it's not looking like the Torrey Canyon then leave it be...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

I don't think it's using a huge amount, it's more the stench. Perhaps if I clean the area and gob some chemical metal around the leak for now?

As for it coming back... yes, it had a HG change three years ago, and the leak is back.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I would be tempted to try that if its not a big leak. Espically if the hg has already been done.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

Same here, another fantastic opportunity to put Gorilla Glue to the test (the 2k epoxy one at least). If you start with a cold engine, get the oil cleaned off as much as possible with brake cleaner, then give it a good smear over with the stuff and let it dry overnight before running the car again I'd say it has a better than middling chance of doing the trick.

That Gorilla stuff has the advantage of drying clear too so wouldn't be obvious even in a really clean engine bay, and the plug of it in the "XUD4" cam journal oil feed is probably stronger than the head round it by this point.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
Muscleriot
My Cars: 207 1.4 16V 88 hp petrol

Post by Muscleriot »

Hi - replying to this thread as I have the same problem on a 207 1.4 16V and have just changed the head gasket.

I found it extremely challenging. Mainly as the access is very limited when trying to take the timing cover off and moving the engine up and down on a trolley jack means the engine pivots forwards and backwards and you still only have a few cms to work in.
I suggest unbolting the torque link from bottom, which connects to the engine will make it easier to move the engine to give access (its still held by the passenger side engine mount). You jam some timing belt in between the twin cams to stop the timing messing up, but I suggest photographing their positions as well as a backup.

K-Seal, SteelSeal etc.. will not work. These work through the coolant system to seal leaks. But it's the high pressure oilway at the driver front corner of the head gasket which has a failed o-ring, so they cannot mix with the oil. It's not coolant mixing with oil.

Giving it a slap of epoxy gorrilla glue etc on that corner will simply move the leak elsewhere, as once the o-ring fails the rest of the gasket is just composite fibre which becomes saturated.

Others on this forum say 30k city driving to 60K motorway driving (every 2-3 years use) this leak appears, not after 8 months.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

I gave a 307 1.4 a big slap of copper/metal plumber's repair resin on that corner and shoved it into every orifice with a pointy thing. It didn't leak any more in the couple of months I had it.
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

Muscleriot wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 19:49 Hi - replying to this thread as I have the same problem on a 207 1.4 16V and have just changed the head gasket.

I found it extremely challenging. Mainly as the access is very limited when trying to take the timing cover off and moving the engine up and down on a trolley jack means the engine pivots forwards and backwards and you still only have a few cms to work in.
I suggest unbolting the torque link from bottom, which connects to the engine will make it easier to move the engine to give access (its still held by the passenger side engine mount). You jam some timing belt in between the twin cams to stop the timing messing up, but I suggest photographing their positions as well as a backup.

K-Seal, SteelSeal etc.. will not work. These work through the coolant system to seal leaks. But it's the high pressure oilway at the driver front corner of the head gasket which has a failed o-ring, so they cannot mix with the oil. It's not coolant mixing with oil.

Giving it a slap of epoxy gorrilla glue etc on that corner will simply move the leak elsewhere, as once the o-ring fails the rest of the gasket is just composite fibre which becomes saturated.

Others on this forum say 30k city driving to 60K motorway driving (every 2-3 years use) this leak appears, not after 8 months.

There's a procedure for changing the timing belt on every car fitted with a timing belt. I think jamming things isn't part of the procedure usually belts relatively straightforward and are within the ability of most home mechanics, even the ones that need a meter can be fitted successfully with the thumb method
Oh buggle
Muscleriot

Post by Muscleriot »

Have to add the trick is to jack the engine so high the inlet manifold almost touches the top of the bonnet. Then you have enough access to the timing cover.
Muscleriot

Post by Muscleriot »

Don't unbolt the torque link