Throttle let-off jerkiness

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LFY
My Cars: Peugeot 406 1.8 16V

Throttle let-off jerkiness

Post by LFY »

Hello everyone,

My car is a 406 with 1.8 16V LFY engine (Bosch MP7.3)

When I let off the throttle, the car jerks forward and this is somehow irritating for me and makes smooth driving through traffic impossible.

I fiddled with TPS and adjusted it at different voltages which decreased the effect but didn't eliminate it completely.

My IACV is brand new.

Some say that it is a ECU MAP related problem which during deceleration cuts fuel violently which results in an instant lean condition and that jerkiness. (overrun fuel cut-off).

Is there anything I can do to make it behave smoothly when throttle is released?
shadwell
My Cars: 206 gti saved from previous owner...

Re: Throttle let-off jerkiness

Post by shadwell »

Have you confirmed the engine mounts?
My 206 gti lurched on and off throttle and despite the mounts appearing fine (no cracks or splits) when replaced the car was transformed.
Smooth on and off throttle, tick over smoothed, gear selection a little better, throttle response improved....
StuY
My Cars: 2010 Peugeot 308 SW 1.6 HDi 110 FAP (9HZ)
2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7 2.0 HDi 110 (RHW)
2007 Peugeot Partner Combi 1.6 HDi 90 (9HX) [sold]
2004 Peugeot 206 SW 2.0 HDi XSi (RHY) [sold]
1987 Renault 5 1.0 [scrapped]

Re: Throttle let-off jerkiness

Post by StuY »

I would second engine mounts - especially the lower mount / torque reaction bush. These can go soft and let the engine move about too much. You could try getting underneath and seeing if you can rock the sump backwards and forwards at all by hand. The play should be really negligible if the mounts are in good nick.