Multi-Layer Head Gaskets: for XUD Turbo Engines Only?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Multi-Layer Head Gaskets: for XUD Turbo Engines Only?

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

....it arose out of reading an article in this month's PC where stripdown revealed that a HG had been fitted upside down on a Staff-Car Rover 75
.... I was thinking to myself 'would I know which way is up' were I to have to do one?
A bit of a google soon cleared that up: the XUD HG can't be fitted upside down as the design of the Head is such that the holes will only line up one way.

However, I did realise that the better Multi-Layer HG's are thicker & intended for the doubtless far more popular Turbo lumps, not my non-turbo XUD9A. If I were to need one, would I be forced into buying the 'inferior' thinner, single-layer, non-Turbo Gasket, or is the difference in thickness sufficiently negligible to be of no consequence?

Good luck and commiserations if any of those involved in the Practical Classics Rover Saga read this, we all know how it feels to do a day's work for no benefit (new HG fitted, the Rover's issue persists)
Puxa
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Multi-Layer Head Gaskets: for XUD Turbo Engines Only?

Post by white exec »

This is going back a very long way, but when I re-headed our NA BX19RD (mid-'90s), I fitted the 'new' multi-layer (all-steel) HG, and had no problem with it. I vaguely recall HGs being available in 3 thicknesses (1, 2, or 3 notches), to accommodate head/block skimming. As our block had never been ground, and the replacement head was brand new, I just went for the standard gasket, which was, by then, all-steel.

Looks like (for the 1.9) three of the five HG thicknesses are still available from Citroen.
XUD9 NA head gasket.JPG
For the 1.7, they're all NFP.
Chris
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Re: Multi-Layer Head Gaskets: for XUD Turbo Engines Only?

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Thanks Chris, having been fine on your BX, I'm sure should I ever need to replace the HG on my 405, the Multi-Layer will be fine. I think the BoL quotes four thicknesses of Gasket, but the differences are fractions of a millimetre; I'll get the thinnest multi-layer I can find if the job ever comes up
Puxa