RIP Roger Bradford

Dedicated to the memories of those that have travelled the final highway

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

RIP Roger Bradford

Post by CitroJim » 18 Sep 2010, 07:23

From the CCC...

"We have just been informed of the very sad and tragic news that CX guru ROGER BRADFORD passed away in his sleep last night from a massive heart attack whilst attending the Goodwood Revival Meeting.

We're sure that all who knew him will wish to join us in offering our sincere condolences to his family."

The news came in last evening whilst the FCF was down. I'm still in shock. I, as many others did, saw him and chatted to him only last Sunday at Stratford. It's doubly shocking as he seemed to be in the pink of health there.

Roger was one of life's real gentlemen and will be sadly missed by all. A tragic loss both on a personal level and to the Citroen community as a whole.

Poor chap had just taken delivery of his new car, a C6. He died in a place he loved doing what he loved.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

RIP Roger Bradford

Post by myglaren » 18 Sep 2010, 08:47

That's very sad news Jim. Roger was indeed a gentleman, very dapper, charming and with an astounding wealth of knowledge that he was very happy to share with anyone.

I only met him on a few occasions but will miss him greatly.

vince

RIP Roger Bradford

Post by vince » 18 Sep 2010, 14:36

Sad news indeed.....not sure if i ever met him...might have done.

jgra1

RIP Roger Bradford

Post by jgra1 » 18 Sep 2010, 20:18

as Mike said.. :(

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

RIP Roger Bradford

Post by myglaren » 18 Sep 2010, 22:38

This was Roger at the Gaydon rally, for anyone unsure of who he was. Not a very good picture I'm afraid.

vince

RIP Roger Bradford

Post by vince » 18 Sep 2010, 22:59

Damn i had met him....i spoke to him for a while at the national....he was a really pleasant guy. God what a shame.

Its a shame to lose good people....you find that most car club people are good people.....

It brings it home when you put a face to a name :(

Citroening

RIP Roger Bradford

Post by Citroening » 19 Sep 2010, 15:59

I too, am very shocked at this news - It was completely unexpected, and Roger was a very good friend of mine. His huge wealth of knowledge, good sense of humour and willing to help or lend a hand even if it was at his inconvenience will be missed greatly.

A picture to show his love of CXs, and Citroens.

Franklin.

Citroening

RIP Roger Bradford

Post by Citroening » 22 Sep 2010, 20:29

Taken from the CCC front page:
A further update:

The funeral is confirmed for next Thursday 30th September.

The procession will be leaving...
The Black Bull Public House
89 High Street,
Somersham,
Huntingdon,
Cambridgeshire,
PE28 3EE
...at 3pm (for those who want to drink prior or cannot drive from there, Dews Coaches have very kindly given a free 52 seat bus for transportation) for the funeral at 3.45pm at...

Cambridge Crematorium,
Huntingdon Road,
Cambridge
CB3 0JJ
...(although this is the formal address it is not in the City itself but directly on the side of the main A14 dual carriageway).

It would have been Roger's wish that black was not necessary and Citroen jackets are welcomed - Flowers are also welcome.
The wake will follow back at the Black Bull where one half of the car park will be dedicated to Citroens.

Regards
Patrick Rugg

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

RIP Roger Bradford

Post by myglaren » 29 Sep 2010, 23:48

Anyone going to the funeral tomorrow?

citroenesque
Donor 2016

RIP Roger Bradford

Post by citroenesque » 30 Sep 2010, 00:23

Unfortunately it's looking like a not, much as I would want to. I shall try to get there if possible but I trust he will have a befitting send off.

So sad.

Sid_the_Squid

RIP Roger Bradford

Post by Sid_the_Squid » 30 Sep 2010, 10:09

This is indeed very sad, I did not know Roger personally, however knew of him, I saw him and his CX's at a few events, he reminded me of my granddad in life, and how devastated I was at his death. I can only imagine what a tragic time this is for Rogers family, my thoughts are with them.

Citroenmad

RIP Roger Bradford

Post by Citroenmad » 30 Sep 2010, 17:31

I was looking through a car auction site a few days ago when i came across a DS which had been listed as a car from Roger Bradfords collection after he had passed away. I had to do a quick search on the CX forum to see if it was the same person, very shocking. :(

What a shame, a very nice and very knowledgeable man, i had met him a few times at fairly recent CCC meetings. Im sure he will be missed in the CCC.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

RIP Roger Bradford

Post by myglaren » 01 Oct 2010, 00:58

A very memorable funeral.

The eulogy was by a close personal friend and that made all the difference. So many funerals are conducted by a 'professional' who never met the deceased and there is no 'soul' in it. How different Roger's was. I don't think there was a dry eye in the building.
The lady reading the eulogy was as close to tears as the rest of us.

It was moving to see what a popular and well respected figure he was. I'm sure that everyone present was there because they genuinely liked him, rather than turning up as it is the done thing, which sadly happens all too often.

The chevrons on the coffin were a typical Roger touch. A reflection of his unconventionality.

A very sad day but uplifting too, seeing the many people who his life had touched.

Good to see some familiar faces there, unfortunately didn't get the opportunity to speak to most of them.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

RIP Roger Bradford

Post by CitroJim » 01 Oct 2010, 06:03

myglaren wrote: I don't think there was a dry eye in the building.
The lady reading the eulogy was as close to tears as the rest of us.
Rather damp eyes here this morning Steve, reading that :cry:

Chevrons on the coffin, that's a lovely touch...

Citroening

RIP Roger Bradford

Post by Citroening » 01 Oct 2010, 20:12

A very memorable day indeed.

Here are some pictures of the line up and convoy...I didn't manage to photograph all of the cars there but there were a couple more CXs, and other Citroens too.

I'm sure that Roger would have loved seeing 4 Prestige's in his Pub's car park! :lol:

Sorry about the pic sizes again.