C3 Picasso Odd behaviour

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ianboylett
My Cars: c3 Picasso Selection 1.6hdi 90

Re: C3 Picasso Odd behaviour

Post by ianboylett »

I did try a member close to me but advised he had support for cars upto 2010.
Bit the bullet and have a working diag tool so just feeling my way around.
I can see that the additive pouch is 21% remaining. I guess full to empty tank and good mpg on my 50 miles each way commute has been good for the additive system.
DPF is inactive at 100 with last regen 560km. Will try to keep revs high today and see if that reading changes.

Does a forced regen take long? OR am I going to be upsetting the neighbours?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I really wouldn't advise it unless absolutely necessary due to the toll a forced regen takes out on the system... Because it has to be undertaken stationary, the engine will automatically rev very hard to get to the high temperatures needed, so you have to be careful where you undertake it and not on any new tarmac or it'll melt it.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A 50 mile run on a motorway would probably be the better solution.
ianboylett

Post by ianboylett »

Checking the readings today I can see its generated ok during my 50 mile commute just shows soot at 100. Guess its an age trigger?
Working through testing options almost everything passed ok including the fuel rail test.
Still more to do - injector and compression test etc

Egr circuit tells me the 'actuator soiled' with a strange rumble from what seemed under the drivers seat at the end of the test.
Also the air circulation flow reports 'air hose disconnected at flowmeter end'.
ianboylett

Post by ianboylett »

Well quick depressing update.

Still throwing up p0087 code every 800- 900 miles so went into garage for diagnostics.

Said I was not happy to chuck silly money at it as only worth 2.5k trade in and was an annoying niggle but as rely on car for 100 mile daily commute was worth seeing if could be resolved or I would look to part x

Diag guy called to say it was looking like fuel pressure regulator on the HP pump but would require some labour to get to it so agreed. Following day said it looked like the inner mesh was dirty and felt new part £250ish was needed. Not much of a choice so agreed - part turned up day 3 now wont start. Put old part back on to see if it was a faulty part but still not starting. New part back on and they will start again in morning to see if air lock in fuel or maybe the HP pump!

Prob im in now for 700ish so far and a non runner …. ever wish you had put up with a niggle!
ianboylett

P0087 c3 picasso advice please

Post by ianboylett »

So still having a on going issue and not sure what next steps should be.
Car has been into a garage to diagnose the fuel rail/system pressure too low intermittent fault.

Tested , leak off test was ok, replaced worn leak off pipes.
Suspected a faulty fuel regulator removed and confirmed tip of valve contaminated so replaced but then no fuel pressure.

Advised contamination had possibly transfered to HP pump so changed pump. All tested ok.
Fitted timing belt as engine was already stripped so part only cost was offered.

After 10 days & £1350 it was returned thues evening.

Last night EML pings on , no boost again and a code read was the usual P0087. Completly hacked off and not sure whats left to check?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I've moved your post here with the original issue.

Did you take this to a Citroen Garage or an indy? Sometimes it pays to go to a dealer to get it sorted who have the experience and the access to the technical data. If it's the rail pressure sensor, this is attached to the rail and not sold by Citroen separately - it's a new rail. But it's not happy about something and still flagging up the low fuel pressure.

Marc
ianboylett

Post by ianboylett »

Indy bosch who came recommended as has very experienced diag guy. There was a few weeks wait as well are they are very busy.
Did try local Citroen dealer but they were very vague on how to approach and felt that would be better to run as it till a 2nd code popped up or a breakdown which would point to the problem. I didn't think that approach was wise as I have 100 miles a day to do getting to work and back home.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, but at least if you booked it in with the dealer you should be able to get a loan car (some charge an administrative fee now - but that does now include all the insurance, so no need to faff with putting the car onto your own policy). So at least you would be able to get to work and back.

Marc
ianboylett

Post by ianboylett »

So car spent a day at the garage and they cant get a fault to happen. Insisting all work so far was correct as per diagnoses.

Decided to learn more and play with lexia tonight - rise and fall fuel test shows error after the 1.5 min test.

Problem with system leaking. return flow to great or leak into chamber or HP Pump.

Can rule out pump, and no obvious visible leaks which I hope would have been noticed while it was being worked on.
So would I be right to look at an injector that struggling under load? If so what the best way to narrow it down?
Run car with lexia mapping the injectors and hope I hit right conditions to trigger the fault or is it possible to run the rise/ fall test as part of a leak off test?
ianboylett

Post by ianboylett »

Spent more time with lexia, ran test for fuel pressure rise and fall which failed with injector return flow too great or leak into chamber.

Cylinder combustion test was ok. Live data when running have all injectors mg pulse as same, flow correction is .00x on all 4.

If I change up too fast when accelerating I can force the fault. I suspect now that the pump is trying to maintain rail pressure as the boost adds vacuum to the manifold and at peak demand an injector leaks. Checked oil and it's just over max mark so thinking a seal rather than faulty injector or the live running would look different.

Only had service in Feb so can't decide if oil is thinner than normal due too fuel mixed in or overfilled by garage