'new' to me C5 '06 auto

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

'new' to me C5 '06 auto

Post by old'uns »

just 1 of a few options being thrown around :roll:

short back-story intro....

OH is now hankering after a Red or Yellow 'quirky' car after going in her friends Juke....i nearly gave in but the thought of adding 4k to the CMax px was a tad too far plus needing £300 > for a Towbar for trips to tip in France [-X
current thinking is for her - must be Auto - a Fiat 500 (or similar..Cactus? ) and me a C5 again to do the French trips

so my budget looks to be up to 4-4.5k and preference again for Auto so she can drive it in France as well.

so a quick looksy around seems to be.....
2005- 7 facelifts around 2k + mark
any major difference in specs between VTR and Exclusive as per the X7?
4 or 6 speed? is the 'gate' different between the 2 an easy spot?

2008> X7 4k upwards

after having an X7 previously, having to deal with the Rack again is right up there as a reason not to but i do miss the other goodies =P~
so as i see it, is the VTR 'safer' as regards the rack or does it only seem to afflict the Exclusive?

am i mad after 2yrs with a car that has had NO issues at all to even have such thoughts :rofl2:
Last edited by old'uns on 05 Jun 2018, 19:06, edited 2 times in total.
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: possible return to the fold.....

Post by bobins »

old'uns wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 22:02
2008> X7 4k upwards

after having an X7 previously, having to deal with the Rack again is right up there as a reason not to but i do miss the other goodies =P~
so as i see it, is the VTR 'safer' as regards the rack or does it only seem to afflict the Exclusive?

Whilst I won't comment on your other points, to reassure you (or not) ALL the early X7 suffer from 'the rack' problem. I don't know when the changeover date was that Citroen decided to fit a proper rack that doesn't fail after a few years, but it would seem that at the very least '08-'10 models have the problem. The only good point is that an awful lot of them will have had the rack replaced by now - though the quality of the replacement racks will no doubt be variable.
In theory, a car on 'wet' suspension could be more at risk when you get fluid loss from rack leaks than a car on steel springs - thinking that the LDS fluid runs the rack and suspension on a 'wet' car, but in reality there's not a lot of difference.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

decision seems to be made......passing on another X7

this was one i had an eye on
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-56-CITR ... 1438.l2649
'dog bone' ? too far away to risk unfortunately, a bargain 'methinks for someone

test driving one closer to home tomorrow
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

deed now done....

'06 2.0 VTR 6sp auto 105k £1800
will need tailgate struts at some stage, n/s wheel starting to look 'cocked' but no banging/creaking or from the rear calipers and switch for suspension not working- my mk1 had similar issue, same fuse as 12v socket solved it i think?
suspension goes up and down, A/C works hot and cold split either side so stepper motor seems ok, probably find a few small niggles but i think i've covered the major known issues?
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

old'uns wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 23:04
this was one i had an eye on
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-56-CITR ... 1438.l2649
'dog bone' ? too far away to risk unfortunately, a bargain 'methinks for someone

test driving one closer to home tomorrow

As this is my local dealer and I just went shopping nearby to Aldi's, thought I'd swing round and see if I could spot this car. I didn't but more because of just how many cars they have now. There is a sea of new DS's, C4's and C5 aircross's (mainly) without plates, mostly black.

But more surprisingly, in their prime front bays they now have a range of used luxury Mercs and Jags overshadowing the C1's, zero's and hybrids I'm used to seeing as I pass.
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Re: possible return to the fold.....now confirmed

Post by old'uns »

now 'plonked' on the drive....given it the once over, fuses , bulbs, fluids etc
amongst all the paperwork were receipts for a replacement Turbo in 2013

i checked the fuse box, the base was loose, here's why....

thought i'd check after the 'spontaneous' thread!
the wires were jammed down the gap, no major damage to them and was only plastic but shows how easily done....

minor bits that may or not get done - well until OH gets involved :)

cracked ds mirror cap
engine cover grommets
ns front alloy starting/started to corrode
rear suspension switch not working

will take some getting used to after the Exclusive X7 goodies wise but maybe less is better sometimes?
i'd also forgotten how much more cubby hole space there is in the older ones.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

That's the same as my current one, a very nice car, you'll find more about mine in my 'on my walk' thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57880&hilit=on+my+walk
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

i did read that some time ago but not to the end, now done

mines 'CSX' so from same supplying dealer originally, Croydon way maybe? my old mk1 was an LN... so dealer supplying to lease companies?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Nice purchase OU. That is about where you want mileage. Auto oil out and new oil in methinks. As for missing goodies?
I miss nothing on my all singing and dancing Vel Satis. A load of old cobblers these things. Leccy handbrakes, cruise, Chesterfied cow seats and expensive tyres,talking computers, blah blah.
In life, more can be less.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

right then..had a few days tatting and the list is slightly lengthier than when i started...

usual glass micro switch issue but i do appear to have 12v coming out of the glass near the swich, no continuity across the switch and no clicking when pressed.
I can live with that however the boot lights and suspension switch will only work when the glass hatch is opened not when complete tailgate is opened?
suspsenion switch has seen better days TBH and will go up OK but won't drop below 'normal'.
12v charging socket and wiring removed whilst trim was out and new 12n socket, grommet and mounting plate fitted.

2 new tailgate rams fitted today, back as new

for some reason it has 2 of everything in the spare wheel well....

each of the packets contains 2 x F and R towing eyes, crank handles and the straight hook winder and 2 locking wheel nut keys!
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

It's possible PO favoured putting car on high, then the jacks under the sills either side for quick jobs underneath. I have two blocks of thick sleeper for this same task. I can change the oil without jacking or axle stands ( hole drilled in under tray). The jacks are handy. I lifted my caravan with one last week.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Re: 'new' to me C5 '06 auto

Post by old'uns »

finally got round to swapping Insurance from the Cmax and Taxing from the 1st June.
been loading up last couple of weeks ready for first Tip run, old carpets and underlay etc.
these Citroens like to scare you.... :shock:
battery not quite able to start so out comes the jump leads and spare battery, fires up.
Dash lit up like a Xmas tree....Gearbox fault, power steering , ESP/ASR. put it into Reverse and an almighty clunk that shook the whole car and again when into Drive :help2:
Time for a BSI reset methinks...turn it off, check all of the fuses first, start it up and hey presto! back to normal service.
next job will be Dash Cam wiring and hard wiring for SatNav and phone charging.

as per another thread i will be pulling fuses but not whilst live to find a switched feed... :lol:
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

now finally got round to actually using it more.....well tip runs anyway!!

back from a service on Tuesday...Cam belt, aux belt, all the filters and a check over, all OK apart from trying to sort out lack of power occasionally, mechanic mentioned there were some unattached vacuum pipes for some reason but didn't have time to fully look into it ( poss return early Sept to him if i can't 'fix' it myself)but says seem to be EGR/solenoid related?
I've had a quick look today and have no idea what's where apart from these 2.....

left hand front of engine
the Red circled one appears to have the remains of a T piece in it?
the Blue circled one was braided line with a rubber connector
are these 2 supposed to be joined? the Red one appears to run across front of engine and to the rear somwehere following the alloy water pipe
I did try connecting the 2 but the braided line just broke in 2 when handled

this one was sitting under the small alloy pipe at right rear.

the hesitation/lack of power seemed worse when engine warm and when on drive today, from tickover to around 12-1300rpm really flat then picking up to rev normally.

In other news i've fitted a twin USB hard wired thingy for dash cam and satNav and fitted a DAB adapter - after seeing GiveMeaBreak's thread - had to install to the socket at rear, front one way too deep for unit.
also Bluetooth adapter to the HU - just need the Aux activating at some stage to complete
Last edited by old'uns on 23 Aug 2018, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Does your engine have the vacuum controlled air doser unit on the entrance of the inlet manifold?
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

EDC5 wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 21:18 Does your engine have the vacuum controlled air doser unit on the entrance of the inlet manifold?

ask me another Q i understand!! :oops:

i have no idea what is what to be honest