C4 1.6 hdi Injector

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Junglist
My Cars: Citroen c4 hdi.

C4 1.6 hdi Injector

Post by Junglist »

Hi everyone, I’ve recently bought a C4 from a car auction and I’m starting to regret it.
It a 1.6 hdi VTR+ , 2008.

My problems are
#1 I’m getting an intermittent power loss like the turbo isn’t functioning correctly 80% of the time.

#2 bubbling from one injector top,

Today I’ve removed the leaking injector thinking the seal needs changing , it got dark out so couldn’t have a good go but I couldn’t get the copper seal out from the head if it’s even in there.
I read that there should be a white plastic coller on the injector, there isn’t on the one I removed.
I can’t find another picture same as the injector I have all ones on eBay google etc appear different to mine.

The black rubber seal was damaged and one of the securing screws/ bolts is bent.
I will get new seals and have another look for the copper washer tomorrow hopefully, I’m just wondering as to why the white collar isn’t fitted and why my injectors look different from others.
Can’t seem to add a picture.

Any ideas ?
Thanks
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C4 1.6 hdi Injector

Post by myglaren »

Welcome to the forums Junglist :)

Can't help with the injector problem but there is a guide to uploading photo's here.
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

To be fair those two problems are standard fare on these engines. You're not alone. Start with the cheapest first; remove the air intake pipe to the turbo, stick your finger inside and see if the balance shaft moves. If it does the turbo needs a new core, if not check the turbo piping and intercooler for leaks, could be a split air hose. Does the actuater move as it should do? Could also be a poorly egr valve. As regards the injector a picture will paint a thousand words.

It sounds as though the previous owner has known about the faults but part ex'd it rather than mend it.
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

When I had my C4 I had to tighten the injectors as they where too loose. I have copied this from another site, so i'll post a link below to give it the credit.

http://c4owners.org/plugins/faq/faq.php?0.cat.8.230

THE CURE:

Tools Required: 6mm and 7mm Allen keys.

1. Remove the plastic engine cover so the injectors are exposed.

2. use the 6mm allen key to undo the two bolts securing the wiring loom across the top of the engine so it can be moved out of the way to get at the rear four injector retaining bolts.

3. Use the 7mm allen key to re tighten each of the bolts (two per injector). You need to crack off each bolt gently, just enough so that it moves, then tighten.

They should not be overly tight. There is a torque specification of 4NM + 65 deg turn.

I just did mine by feel but used a small crescent wrench on the allen key as I needed a bit more leverage than I could get on the short end of an allen key. Six were very similar torque so I just turned them 1/4 turn tighter. Two (on injectors 2 and three) were quite a bit looser so I tightened them to a similar torque as the others.

My engine is now noticeably smoother, with less vibration after doing this and I can drive happily knowing that I am not likely to have a major repair bill on the horizon.

Gary.
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Hi thanks for the reply’s and sorry for my delay in responding.
All injectors are tight and it was only bubbling from one , the appearance of the injector appeared different because it had the liner tube still attached.
I really couldn’t get the liner off and I can see someone has attempted it before myself.
Removing the copper washer from within the head was simple in the end with a very long bolt screwing into it.
I’ve used a can of EGR cleaner with no real effect on the boost, sometimes it will boost straight off and sometimes not at all.
I’m still getting a lot of what appears to be oil pooling around all injectors and dripping off down the front rhs of the engine and onto the exhaust manifold,
I work with diesel and it doesn’t appear to be it.
I’m not seeing any more bubbling or hearing and chuffing from the injectors.

How can oil be in the inlet manifold? I’m thinking the turbo pressure is there as I can see the pipes bulge thus causing pressure forcing oil out of something.

Next steps To look at.

Replace fuel filter ( had esp/asr fault appear today)
remove clean EGR valve ( is there a guide on here ? ).
Remove intake manifold and clean/replace seals.
New rocer cover & gasket.
Turbo vacuum solenoid possibly replace.
Replace O ring on air pipe that attaches to the rocker cover.
Air doseur possibly replace ( the housing attachment to the car is broken anyway and is vibrating around.
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Anything else I should be looking into ?
I’ve read the brake switch ? Can have an effect on performance if faulty, sounds odd that one.
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Wish I’d kept my old R5 GTT, had that for 10 years, less electrics and gizmos to go wrong.
Junglist

Re:

Post by Junglist »

Eddie Nuff wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 09:55 To be fair those two problems are standard fare on these engines. You're not alone. Start with the cheapest first; remove the air intake pipe to the turbo, stick your finger inside and see if the balance shaft moves. If it does the turbo needs a new core, if not check the turbo piping and intercooler for leaks, could be a split air hose. Does the actuater move as it should do? Could also be a poorly egr valve. As regards the injector a picture will paint a thousand words.

It sounds as though the previous owner has known about the faults but part ex'd it rather than mend it.

Turbo has minimum play up and down , none in & out , the actuator appears to move with accelerating. I’ll remove all piping clean out and check over. Seems a fair bit of oil in the pipes to be fair.
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

Fuel filter when blocked used to put my C4 into limp home mode if I accelerated too fast as the pump couldn't get enough fuel through the filter to feed the engine. When I changed the filter the remaining fuel was black like used oil so it was doing its job. Think I changed mine twice. IIRC its a 30'000 job.

I think the EGR valve could be the problem if its sticking. The EGR is not in the easiest place for access. Ive heard soaking it in Coca Cola removes the carbon over night.

Gary.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I almost always have oil in the injector wells and I blame this thingy:

Damnit , can't find the image on Flickr! or Google Images and I think Photobucket has it but is taking forever.

If you follow the air hose from the filter, above and to the right of the cam cover is a butterfly in the hose and I think it leaks from there in a fine mist.
May fix it one day.
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

I made a work tho for changing the fuel filter on the C4 1.6 diesel. its on C4owners ---> http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/forum ... php?208042

Gary.
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Thanks that’s helpful
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Looks like injectors 2&3 are also leaking. Will change seals at the weekend
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

But of an update.
Today I replaced the turbo vacuum solenoid ( back off/side of the engine)
I got it over a pit at work , I think it would be difficult on axle stands.
Took me about 30 mins to swap , pretty easy once you’ve found it.
I now have boost 100% of the time so fingers crossed that’s sorted.
Still got 2 injector seals to replace tomorrow but things are looking up.
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

All 4 injectors our toady , really had no problem getting them out just slid out nicely,, undoing the bottom clamps which then push the injectors up a bit , screw them back down a bit put a spanner in the gap then undo again if needed.

Took the inlet manifold off ( didn’t remove the fuel lines) Managed to get it off without.
Loads & loads of crud in there , all scrapped and washed out new seals fitted with extra gasket sealant.

New seals in all injectors all back together and running.
👍🏼
Sump off tomorrow, my knees and back are in bits.