Grand Picasso on poor roads

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reef2k

Re: Grand Picasso on poor roads

Post by reef2k »

Old-Guy wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 17:12
reef2k wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 12:42 A few times i have thought the clutch was slipping,but i think it's the turbo that cuts in quite early,maybe as low as 14-1500 rpm ,then i feel the sudden acceleration as if the clutch has fully disengaged ..does that make sense ? not sure how else to explain it.
i'm always easy on the clutch,doing as you suggest,so hope it lasts a while yet,as i'll not be doing many miles in it,only around 4k per year,so fingers crossed.
Oh,tyres are not a name i'm familiar with !

You don't say what age your Picasso is. The 2011-15 1.6HDi is an 8V SOHC unit that I still find amazing. PSA's data sheet for this (DV6C) engine shows a torque curve climbing steeply from 230NM at 1,500 to peak at 270NM at 1,750 rpm, and staying above 240 to 2,400. With the close-ratio 6-speed box you just keep short-shifting your way up the box - it seems at bit weird at first and the size/weight of the car mean it's no great ball of fire but it storms up hills even top gear! Max power is 112hp at 3,600rpm but this is fairly academic except for high-speed Motorway overtaking.
The figures for the previous 16V 1.6HDi (DV6TED4) are 230NM at 1,500, 240NM at 1,750, c. 220NM at 2,800 but the torque curve falls progressively from the peak without the DV6C's plateau; max power 107hp at 4,000 rpm.

Tyres - on the Xantia, supple Goodyear winter tyres were not only much quieter than the summer Nexens but noticeably reduced bump/thump over pot-holes - that's why the Picasso is now wearing a pair of Goodyears on the front!

The vast majority of GC4Ps in the UK started life as Motability contracts. As a result, they should have been serviced annually for the first 3 years, but usually cheap fuel and tyres - mine had 4 different makes of tyre. It's definitely worth using a quality fuel to clean the supermarket gum from the fuel system and in my experience, using premium fuel (Shell V-Power) has, according to the trip computer, improved fuel consumption from about 44 to 45.5mpg.

It's a 2007 1.6 hdi, i did mention it at the top of the page. Anyway,i did think about winter tyres when i first got it a few weeks ago,but the new cambelt had to take priority,but will now have to wait til late autumn now,but anything to smooth out those suspension crashes an bangs a little,would be welcome.
I've always appreciated that low end torque of turbo diesel engines,giving decent acceleration without the fuss,but 1500 rpm is really low,so it must be the turbo/torque kicking in that i feel.
i'm just using BP's regular diesel and get just over 50 mpg which i'm reasonably pleased with,although my wifes old 2006 C5 1.6 hdi used to return almost 60 !
C4 GRAND PICASSO 1.6 HDI VTR+
C5 SX 2.2hdi estate
xantia vsx td estate
BX 1.4 petrol