Whats the Abs bearing tool called

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Webo83
My Cars: Xsara picasso 02 reg 1.6 petrol

Whats the Abs bearing tool called

Post by Webo83 »

Does anyone know what the little card thing is called that you can test which is the magnetic side of the abs to check everything is OK with it I read somewhere there is a card that you can put on to make sure everything is OK to make sure it'd not been damaged from the banging etc plus will help make sure it's installed the correct way cheers
Stu
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Whats the Abs bearing tool called

Post by RichardW »

It should be obvious which side has the mag track as it looks different; you can check with any handy bit of steel which will stick to it! When I did the ones on our cars I just used the old bearing shell as a mandrel to pull them in. No problems so far!!
Richard W
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I know the little card you are on about, a lot of motor factors have them on their counters, it has a little clear window on it filled with liquid & fine metal filings that you hold against the bearings. The bearing manufacturers give them away as promotional material.
As said above its fairly obvious which side has the magnetic track though.
If checking with a piece of metal though I wouldn't use anything bigger or heavier than a paperclip as the tracks can get easily damaged.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I remember visiting Malcolm Savoy a few years ago. The team had been trouble shooting a Picasso with faulty ABS. It turned out one of the tracks had a hairline crack in it that took them ages to find (but once they did, and replaced the bearing, they were able to replace the bearing in question and get the ABS working again).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!