Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 Hdi 90 Oil Blockage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chrisfox15
My Cars: Citroen Picasso

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 Hdi 90 Oil Blockage

Post by chrisfox15 »

I have a Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 Hdi 90 and its recently just had a new turbo fitted along with an replacement oil filter and oil change. Test drove it on the day it had a replacement turbo for a around 5 miles and it was spot on and no engine lights or anything on the dash. Left it for around 3 days and drove it again for another 3 miles and just as i was getting back the an fault came on the dash oil low pressure low stop and it cut out and when i now start it up it says low oil pressure and there is a loud ticking coming from the engine.

Upon inspection i noticed oil filter was pretty dry and it appears the oil is not getting to the top of the engine. The car hasn't been driven since to avoid any damage,

I have done the following to try and resolve the problem and abit stuck at the moment

Replaced Turbo
Oil and Filter Change
Replaced Oil Pressure Switch
Removed Sump and Cleaned Sumper (pickup Pipe) wasnt too bad
2nd Oil Change
Remove Oil Vac Pump and Cleaned Filter (was half blocked up)
Clean Oil Passage Bolt on Turbo
Changed Oil Feed and Oil Vac Pipe

I think the next step is to remove the oil pump and clean it which i am guessing is near the timing belt on the left side of the engine. I will try cleaning before replacing but i definitely think its a blockage as the engine doesnt appear to be getting the oil to the filter or top of the engine.

Any help on the problem would be good.

Thanks in advance
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Re: Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 Hdi 90 Oil Blockage

Post by harryp »

Hi Chrisfox,
There are posts on here regarding this engine and this problem which IIRC the oil supply pipe should be replaced when doing the turbo. Someone may be able to point you in the right direction..... HTH, regards
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
chrisfox15

Post by chrisfox15 »

Thanks for the reply. We replaced the metal bendy turbo feed pipe when the turbo were replaced and since then we removed the pipe again and made sure it wasnt blocked
Thanks
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If you've removed the strainer from the sump, and still got no oil pressure, then the pump has to be the next suspect. It's concentric with the crank shaft - you have to remove the cambelt, then the oil pump can be unbolted and pulled out. TBH if it's got as bad as that, I would go looking for another engine, or another car....
Richard W
chrisfox15

Post by chrisfox15 »

Thanks for the advice. Turns out the oil pump were shattered inside so that will explain why it wasnt pumping the oil around. We have one on order so hopefully all is good when this has been fitted il let you know
Thanks
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If you have no oil pressure don't drive or run it at all until it's sorted, my old C5 had a turbo fail and despite draining, dropping the sump and cleaning the strainer turbo debris had got into the oil galleries and caused the big ends to fail.

I had to strip the engine find a crankshaft and rebuild it with all new bearings, something I was able to do but not really a DIY job for most, even so it would have meant scrapping the car if it would have had to be a garage job.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.