Engine shut off after temp warning problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Engine shut off after temp warning problem

Post by 10k »

Hi

The engine of my Mk1 C5 2.2 just shut off as I was driving after the dashboard STOP warning and display told me the engine temperature was too high! I checked the coolant and it doesnt look below the level.

What else might be the issue?

Thanks
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Engine shut off after temp warning problem

Post by myglaren »

Possibly an air lock in the coolant, a stuck thermostat or if the coolant is at a normal temperature when this occurs a failed temperature sensor.

Also - depending on where you are and how much you were driving at the time, a possible stuck radiator fan.
I just fitted a new one although the temperature wasn't excessive, just slightly above normal. Motor was seized.

I had a few instances a while ago where shortly after starting the engine from cold (overnight) the stop light would come on and the indicated temperature would be at the top of the scale - there was no way it could actually be that hot and replacing the green temperature sensor fixed it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Also, you can check if the fan is working my engaging the A/C - if the fan doesn't engage, then that might indicate it is duff too.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Good one Marc - a very simple test - I overlooked that as my AC is shot :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just shot Steve or in need of a re-gas?

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Had it re-gassed a couple of years ago almost to the day. It worked for six weeks then packed up.

I presumed at the time a leak but thought recently that that would have shown at the re-gass (wasn't a cheap KwikFit one) and have considered one of the re-gas kits from Halfords, that would do my daughter's C3 too. One day maybe, might be too little too late by now.

Post by 10k »

I'd only driven the car 1/2 mile from cold before it freaked out. It flashed the stop warning last week but sorted itself out.
I'll check out all your suggestions and see whats what
Thanks for the suggestions :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

myglaren wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 18:38 Had it re-gassed a couple of years ago almost to the day. It worked for six weeks then packed up.

I presumed at the time a leak but thought recently that that would have shown at the re-gass (wasn't a cheap KwikFit one) and have considered one of the re-gas kits from Halfords, that would do my daughter's C3 too. One day maybe, might be too little too late by now.

It initially took Citroen 4 attempts to find the leak even with the dye. Had a the condenser replaced and the compressor.
Since then though, I've topped up the X7 and the C3 using the STP kit - managed to do 2 cars with it - although the C3 was in dire need of a top up. I've not got the trigger unit retained, so next time round I'll just buy another cylinder (£10 mandatory EU Gas cylinder exchange refundable on return). Quite easy to do.
https://www.stp-aircon.eu

Marc

Post by 10k »

myglaren wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 18:25 Possibly an air lock in the coolant, a stuck thermostat or if the coolant is at a normal temperature when this occurs a failed temperature sensor.

Also - depending on where you are and how much you were driving at the time, a possible stuck radiator fan.
I just fitted a new one although the temperature wasn't excessive, just slightly above normal. Motor was seized.

I had a few instances a while ago where shortly after starting the engine from cold (overnight) the stop light would come on and the indicated temperature would be at the top of the scale - there was no way it could actually be that hot and replacing the green temperature sensor fixed it.

Hi, We just ran the Lexia diag and it wasnt coming up with any immediate issues. We idled the car at 2500rpm and watched the temperature climb to 102 at which point the temperature dropped back down to 96 and stayed around there. We think this might indicate a sticking thermometer.

Q: What temp should a 2.2 reach before the valve or fan kick in?

Q: Whilst we had the bonnet up we noticed a ball end had become uncoupled and needs replaced as too loose a fit (see pic, whilst attached). What is this and could it be the cause of the temp issue.

Thanks

--
c5.IMG_20171119_163512919.jpg
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The little plastic linkage is for the swirl flaps in the inlet manifold, nearly every 2.2 you lift the bonnet on this has come off or broken. It wont be causing your problem & has probably been like that for months if not years.
Did the engine cut out as soon as the temp warning came on ?

Post by 10k »

wheeler wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 17:56 The little plastic linkage is for the swirl flaps in the inlet manifold, nearly every 2.2 you lift the bonnet on this has come off or broken. It wont be causing your problem & has probably been like that for months if not years.
Did the engine cut out as soon as the temp warning came on ?

Ah yes its for the swirl flaps now I remember!

Yeh the stop light and beep sounded four or five times and then the engine cut out 30 seconds as I was crossing the middle of a busy junction. I'd only driven the car 1km from cold when it happened.

Post by 10k »

myglaren wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 18:25 Possibly an air lock in the coolant, a stuck thermostat or if the coolant is at a normal temperature when this occurs a failed temperature sensor.

Bought a replacement thermostat. Is it just a case of undoing the three bolts and sliding the thermostat housing sideways or is it more involved as there are a few pipes overhead. Ask as i've got limited tools here

Thanks