Xantia brake pedal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

seedy
My Cars:

Xantia brake pedal

Post by seedy »

This is about my 1999 Xantia HDi 110. it's working well at present, but my daughter drove it the other day and pronounced the brakes to be something I'd not heard her pronounce before (ingrate :-( ).

I suppose it may be that the pedal sits low, not that they are non-retardant.

I recall seeing something about a rubber spacer that might originally have been fitted below the pedal and that could be removed if not wanted. I can't find that now. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Colin
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Xantia brake pedal

Post by RichardW »

There's a plastic cannister in the back of the brake pedal that transmits the action to the brake valve. This contains a spring, which is designed to give the brakes a more conventional feel. However, it can cause a bit of instability that makes it feel like the brakes are pulsing - especially if the accumulator is less than perfect. You can wiggle the cannister out of the back of the pedal if you lift it up, and then dismantle the cannister and replace the spring with a piece of pipe or bar of the same length. This will remove the springiness from the pedal, but will catch out drivers who are expecting pedal travel - they will come to a crashing halt the first few times! It may be that brake performance has deteriorated, but you, as regular driver, will not have noticed. Perhaps ask your Daughter what she thought the problem was?
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

If the pedal seems "low" and leg reach is the problem, doing the modification to replace the spring in the plastic cannister with a piece of hollow pipe would help - although the pedal wouldn't sit any higher when not pressed, it would hardly have to move to apply strong braking, whereas with the spring the pedal has to be pushed quite close to the floor to get full braking action.

Easy modification to make if you have a suitable diameter of hollow metal pipe (it needs to be hollow) and easy to revert back to original if you don't like the result, by putting the spring back in.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I removed the spring from mine and replaced it with a length of 15mm plumbers copper pipe, it feels like a BX now. It is a good modification though heavy footed drivers might need to modify their technique.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stewart(oily) wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 15:45 I removed the spring from mine and replaced it with a length of 15mm plumbers copper pipe, it feels like a BX now. It is a good modification though heavy footed drivers might need to modify their technique.

I did this on all my Xantias, the feel of the brakes with the spring present just does not feel right at all... It was supposed to make the brakes feel more 'conventional' but to my mind it was an epic fail...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I must say I have never had a problem with the feel of the Xantia brakes in standard issue set-up......
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

This ^^^^

However, it does prevent the enormous enjoyment that one gets from seeing the absolute shock/awe on someone elses face, the first time they hit the brake pedal on a CX... :lol:
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Stickyfinger wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 10:00 I must say I have never had a problem with the feel of the Xantia brakes in standard issue set-up......

My first Xantia (a 1997 S1 2.0i with the small discs) had pretty poor brakes to be honest, I did lots of work to the brakes and they never felt right - a bit dead and insensitive.

I did the spring removal mod on that one and it made a big difference - still not what I'd call fantastic brakes but good enough after removing the spring.

My first Xantia V6 (a 1998 S2) the brakes were a lot better (the big discs help I reckon) and I didn't really feel that it needed the spring mod, so I don't think I ever got around to it.

My current Xantia V6 (a 1997 S1) the brakes worked well enough and had stopping power if you pushed hard, but I've always thought that I have to push the pedal unusually hard to brake hard.

This was really brought home when I bought the Peugeot Ion and realised that it had better, more sensitive brakes than the Xantia despite the tiny tires. :oops: Jumping between cars the brakes on the Xantia felt heavy, ponderous and just not very sensitive compared to the Ion.

So a few days ago I finally got around to doing the spring mod on this Xantia. Wow! :shock: The difference is unbelievable.

You would think that the spring would only cause you to have to push the pedal further (but not harder) to get the same degree of braking. That's the theory, but it sure doesn't feel that way in practice!

Light to moderate touches of the pedal feel the same as before without the spring, but when you need to do a rapid or emergency stop the difference is night and day. It really hauls on the anchors now when you push a bit harder and there is no doubt that reaction time in an emergency stop is greatly reduced. All mushiness gone.

Despite owning a Xantia with this mod before I'm still adjusting to how sensitive the pedal is now, I need to relearn how hard to press the pedal...

Definitely worth a go even for those that don't think there is anything wrong with their Xantias brakes - the difference really is night and day.

A piece of 15mm copper pipe cut to the right length is perfect - although I'd recommend using a proper rotary plumbers pipe cutter (which I have - one of the el cheapo ones) because it leaves a gentle round on each end without any burrs. If you cut it with a hacksaw, even if you file the burrs off the edge is still relatively sharp and may pierce or damage the plastic capsule which it sits inside when you stomp on the pedal! :twisted:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 13:48 So a few days ago I finally got around to doing the spring mod on this Xantia. Wow! :shock: The difference is unbelievable.

My findings exactly Simon ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Maybe it is my big feet then because I can make them lock up and engage the ABS in the dry with average effort...........
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 16:49 Maybe it is my big feet then because I can make them lock up and engage the ABS in the dry with average effort...........

Maybe not.. Having owned enough Xantias, I can authoritatively say that not all feel the same and not all respond to the mod so well as others... One I owned - and I can't now recall which - felt better without...

Do the mod and see how it feels to you... It's easily reversed...

Generally though, in my experience nine out of ten times it is better...
Jim

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I wonder if the kind mr citrojim could let me know if Gabby is modified. Her brakes feel exactly the same as my activa were.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

daviemck2006 wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 17:33 I wonder if the kind mr citrojim could let me know if Gabby is modified. Her brakes feel exactly the same as my activa were.

I don't know Davie... I don't recall doing it but to be honest, I never had any issue with gabby's brakes at all...

I suspect she has been done ;)
Jim

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

I certainly never touched the brake pedal (only read about this mod after she had moved on), but the pedal definitely had more travel than in Jim's Activa - which feels much more like I remember Citroen brakes being like from the past, far more like the pedal on a vehicle with air brakes.

Granted, I never drove Gabby after Jim overhauled the rear brakes - so that probably improved things!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.