Manual Gearbox Oil - Change, or Not to Change? That is the question.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andle
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2007 - Picasso Xsara - 1.6 HDI - VTX - CH9HXC - DV6TED4 - Manual - 80k clock.

VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Manual Gearbox Oil - Change, or Not to Change? That is the question.

Post by Andle »

Picasso Xsara
1.6 HDI VTX
92 bhp
9HXC
DV6TED4
Manual Transmission

Gearbox oil hasn't been changed - ever.

Is there good reason to do this at this point?

Should I change it now - or am I tempting fate?

Are the myths surrounding the dangers of changing transmission oil change exactly that - myths - Or - is there more to this?

My thanks to anybody willing to contribute.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Manual Gearbox Oil - Change, or Not to Change? That is the question.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you decide to go ahead with the gearbox oil change make utterly certain to use the right oil, as anything else is almost sure to lunch it. I am NOT certain what your gearbox will use, but it is likely that Total BV 75W80 is suitable. The PSA group have used this oil in their manual gearboxes for a while now.

If I am right (please make sure I am before proceeding) you will want 1.8l gearbox oil (cheaper from GSF than a PSA dealership). You should probably also get new sump plug washers for the gearbox (two of them). Take the car out for a run to warm up the oil prior to the change. I have found that it is easier to refill the gearbox through the reverse switch hole (although I do take out the 'level' plug, to make certain I do not overfill the gearbox).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

Yes, I would change the oil.

I changed mine firstly at about 70k miles, and it was pitch black and distinctly thinner than the new oil.

Correct oil is Total Bv 75/80, which is now called Gear 8. You will need 1.8l. I always buy it from Neilsen CDG on ebay, see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Total-Transmi ... SwQPlV8Ab-

Most people seem to refill through the breather on the top of the gearbox rather than trying to find the level plug (i'm not even sure they all have a level plug - i've never found mine despite looking).

Very easy job. I tend to change mine now every fourth or fifth engine oil change, and it barely adds ten minutes to the job.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
Andle
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2007 - Picasso Xsara - 1.6 HDI - VTX - CH9HXC - DV6TED4 - Manual - 80k clock.

Post by Andle »

Ok - so I'm seeing two votes for yes, provided the oil is spot on

I'm wondering how I can find the level plug? Is there a correct procedure to follow that you could share? This will be the first time i've ever changed transmision oil.

Please note, I'm still interested in further opinions on the matter - should i even be contemplation this oil change?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Depending on the gearbox there WILL be a drain plug somewhere on the lowest point on the gearbox, and there MAY be a similarly sized plug on the vertical surface (somewhere behind the nearside wheel). If this second plug exists this is the level plug. The sealing washers should be the same size for both plugs.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

The gear oil is now called Total Transmission 8, and is 75W-80 and importantly GL4.
Chris
Andle
(Donor 2020)

Post by Andle »

white exec wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 08:32 The gear oil is now called Total Transmission 8, and is 75W-80 and importantly GL4.

GSF - Once reg has been inputted - stock this.

Can you tell me if there are any issues with this - or - whats the right way to ensure I get the absolutely correct transmission oil for this particular car?
transmission oil.JPG
Appreciate any input you can give me today as gsf have 56% of all orders till midnight tonight - with promo code WKD56
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Real need to check whether correct spec for the car is GL4 or GL5.
The two are not interchangeable, and 5 is not a replacement for 4.
My guess is that you should be using GL4, which is pretty well universal for recent Citroens.
Chris
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Do you have the owners handbook for the Picasso? If you do, it is likely that it will have details of what oils to be used, including that for the gearbox.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Andle wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 18:13
GSF - Once reg has been inputted - stock this.

Can you tell me if there are any issues with this - or - whats the right way to ensure I get the absolutely correct transmission oil for this particular car?

The easiest way is to post up or PM your VIN so one of us can check. The reason for the need for a VIN is some of us have access to the Citroen electronic workshop manual - we enter in the VIN and it comes back with everything needed to know about the car - from how to change a lamp, replace a clutch, calibrate whatever needs calibrating, etc, etc. Part of the info returned is what spec and quantity of lubricants are required for the car. The other handy feature is a complete run-down of what your car left the factory wearing i.e. optional extras, specs of components, etc, etc.
Various bods on this forum have provided this service for years - have a look on the 'VIN Decoder' thread to see !

For info, the spec for Total BV 75W80 is it's a GL4+ that meets PSA spec B71 2330
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Andle
(Donor 2020)

Post by Andle »

Bobins - thanks for specifying the correct oil.

I will be doing this for the first time ever - as a diy project.

I'm asking if there is a procedure sheet from Citroen - or videos that can guide me.

Especially about where I need to watch out and be careful.

Any life hacks would be great too.

My sincere thanks to anybody willing to guide this newbie.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Here's the layout of the gearbox drain / level / vent plugs:
Xsara gearbox plugs
Xsara gearbox plugs
1: Drain screw.
2: Level plug.
3: Vent.

Make sure the car is sitting level before you start.
Expect the oil to drain out to everywhere except the drain pan you've carefully placed underneath. Oily rags, newspapers, boards are all very useful, as are plenty of hand wipes :roll:
Once you've drained the 'box and are as sure as you can be that all the oil is out, replace the drain plug with new washer if necessary. Remove the level plug and vent plug if you hadn't already done so. You can refill via the vent plug hole - a length of CLEAN hose or tube with a CLEAN funnel stuck on the top would make the job a lot easier. Don't be surprised if oil comes out of the level plug just before you've put all 1.8 litres in. You may get a few more cc's in if you let it settle a bit, but you won't get much more in.
Have a quick look in the old oil once you've drained it. Check for signs of metal filings. In the highly unlikely chance you find lots, then have a long hard think about your future relationship with the car :wink:
Andle
(Donor 2020)

Post by Andle »

bobins wrote: 25 Sep 2017, 20:19 Here's the layout of the gearbox drain / level / vent plugs:

xsaragearbox.jpg

Expect the oil to drain out to everywhere except the drain pan you've carefully placed underneath. Oily rags, newspapers, boards are all very useful, as are plenty of hand wipes :roll:
Once you've drained the 'box and are as sure as you can be that all the oil is out, replace the drain plug with new washer if necessary. Remove the level plug and vent plug if you hadn't already done so. You can refill via the vent plug hole - a length of CLEAN hose or tube with a CLEAN funnel stuck on the top would make the job a lot easier. Don't be surprised if oil comes out of the level plug just before you've put all 1.8 litres in. You may get a few more cc's in if you let it settle a bit, but you won't get much more in.
Have a quick look in the old oil once you've drained it. Check for signs of metal filings. In the highly unlikely chance you find lots, then have a long hard think about your future relationship with the car :wink:

bobins,

I'm very grateful for your response. Your technical precision is really something.

My Vin: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Is this a job I can do at home?

Since I'm having the front brake pads changed- is it easier to get the job done - whilst the front wheels are already off?

Also - Hell Razor5543 mentions that filling through the reverse switch hole - might be easier? What are everybody's thoughts on this?

Where is it on the diagram?
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Andle wrote: 30 Sep 2017, 19:51
Is this a job I can do at home?

Since I'm having the front brake pads changed- is it easier to get the job done - whilst the front wheels are already off?

It's a little difficult to say whether you can do the job at home as I don't know what kit you've got, but with fairly basic tools* it's possible to do it at home. It's definitely easier with the front wheel off, and you need to make sure the car is both supported safely and level before you start draining the oil. A certain amount of crawling underneath is needed in order to get to the drain plug, but it shouldn't be too hard to get to from the wheel arch. I don't know the layout of your engine bay under the bonnet, so it might be necessary to move and/or disconnect a few things to get to the vent plug - or it may be visible as soon as you open the bonnet and look in the right area ! If it's a lot of grief to get to the vent plug then consider refilling it via the level plug on the side of the gearbox. If your new bottles of oil don't come with flexible tubes attached to them, then you'll have to rely on getting the oil in with a length of tube with a funnel on the top. It can be a slow process to do it that way, but we're only talking of minutes extra, not hours !! :)

*- sockets, spanners, jack, axle stands, drain pan, tube, funnel, rags, tea, etc.
You might need an Allen key or drain plug key to undo the drain plug or refill plug - much depends on what was fitted to your car.
Andle
(Donor 2020)

Post by Andle »

Andle wrote: 30 Sep 2017, 19:51
bobins wrote: 25 Sep 2017, 20:19 Here's the layout of the gearbox drain / level / vent plugs:

xsaragearbox.jpg

My Vin: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Also - Hell Razor5543 mentions that filling through the reverse switch hole - might be easier? What are everybody's thoughts on this?

Where is it on the diagram?