Front wiper motor??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LadyJLB
My Cars: Citroen xsara picasso desire 1.6

Front wiper motor??

Post by LadyJLB »

Hi everyone.. I'm new here and would really appreciate some help! I have a citroen, xsara, picasso desire 1.6. For the past month my wipers have kept on stopping, meaning having to get out and nudge them to work! Anyways they have now finally packed in! I have checked fuses, my water and jets are fine, which makes me think the control stalk is ok too?! I don't have a tester to check relays, so... I'm left wondering, if it is the motor that's ceased/gone?! I have limited tools being a woman with a small flat and zero space 😉 so any help and advice as to what it could be and what tools I will need before fixing it? would be gratefully received! #-o Thanks in advance...

Jane
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Front wiper motor??

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Welcome to the Forum Jane.

The Xsara Picasso has a single wiper motor at the front that operates both the wipers, so it's 'all or nothing'. The fact that it has been playing up indicates that it is very likely the motor that has given out, as you were ultimately able to nudge it before it gave out altogether. so unlikely to be a fuse.

There are other possibilities such as a bad fuse board, or the BSI may need resetting, which you could try first to eliminate any electrical glitches.

If you post up your VIN, I can determine the replacement part number for you to help source an new one and this will help us determine the type of electrical system you have in the vehicle as these differ on model and age.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

If physically pushing the wiper blade position a bit was the only thing that got it working again then I would agree - it will be worn out brushes in the wiper motor.

If you're unlucky when it stops it will stop at a position where the brushes don't make contact on the commutator any more because they are worn down, give it a nudge and it makes enough contact to get moving and then will keep moving until you stop them next time.

In the old days people would replace brushes in the motor but these days you'd just want to be swapping the wiper motor over...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Welcome Jane

Agreed, almost certainly the motor. Replacing it though is not likely to be a job for a novice with limited tools - you will almost certainly need a puller to get the wiper arms off, and then there is often not a lot of room to get these things out from under the front edge of the scuttle.

If you want to have a go, the tools are likely cheaper than the garage bill; and we can no doubt find some instructions as to how to do it!
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 12:27 Welcome Jane

Agreed, almost certainly the motor. Replacing it though is not likely to be a job for a novice with limited tools - you will almost certainly need a puller to get the wiper arms off, and then there is often not a lot of room to get these things out from under the front edge of the scuttle.

If you want to have a go, the tools are likely cheaper than the garage bill; and we can no doubt find some instructions as to how to do it!

A puller ? All I've ever used is an open ended spanner of a suitable size to fit around the shaft from the motor to prize the link rod off. Worked on the Xantia when I had to readjust the park position! 8-)

Or are you talking about separating the linkages to the individual wipers ? Is that necessary on that car to remove the motor ? I would have thought once you have the common linkage off the shaft of the motor the rest of the linkages can be moved out of the way by moving the wiper arms.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

No, removing the actual wiper arms, which are on a splined taper, and if they've not been off since the car was built, will be reluctant to be prised from their home! My guess is that you will need to remove the wiper arms to get the scuttle cover off to get access to the motor. By the looks of the mech on the Xasar Pic the motor is on the underneath so the whole thing will need to be removed, in which case, you might as well just fit a complete new unit from a breakers.
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It seems straight forward - book time less than an hour.

Remove the wiper arms (undo the nut on the end, then pull the arm off - probably needs a small puller)
Release 3 off 1/4 turn buckles on the front edge of the scuttle grille, then pull it down off the screen
Disconnect the cable from the motor at the centre (often need to press or lift the tab on the connector)
Undo 4 bolts (2 in the centre near the motor, and one at each end behind the wiper spindle)
Lift the mech out
Richard W