05 Estate 1.6hdi rear boot button and wiper not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rochy101
My Cars:

05 Estate 1.6hdi rear boot button and wiper not working

Post by Rochy101 »

Hello all,
I still have the same car and problems to boot, this is why im in contact again. rear boot catch release works very seldome and i have to slap the body work or rhe rear wiper ( now not working as well ) to get the catch to realse the door. Also when the rear boot door finaly opens the wiper moves amout 10cm's ar a time but now never with the stork inside the car. i have removed the inside lining to see if there is any thing obvious and nothing so as normal any advise welcome
Currently driving
2005 C5 Estate 1.6hdi aka "Duggy" rhd
2006 C5 Estate 1.6hdi aka "Cissy" rhd
1990 Ax 1.1 aka "Baggy" Lhd
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: 05 Estate 1.6hdi rear boot button and wiper not working

Post by Paul-R »

The key information is that the wiper moves a little bit when you open the tailgate. Your problem is broken wire(s) in the loom that passes from the body to the tailgate. Over time these flex and flex again until they finally snap most (or all) of the strands of copper in some of the wires.

The cure is to take the loom out, unwrap it and then cut out sections that are broken and solder in some new pieces and cover the solder points with, preferably, heat-shrink tubing. You have to cut pieces of the heat-shrink and slide them on the wire before soldering of course! Self-amalgamating tape is acceptable but is thicker than heat-shrink. Vinyl tape is not very good as the adhesive doesn't work well on small diameter wire but is better than nothing.

You need to make the solder joints in places that don't move to give the best chance for the replacement pieces. Also, try to make the cut points staggered so that all the solder points don't align and make a huge bulge when you reassemble the loom. Don't be tempted to just solder up the broken point as this will quickly break again.

The Xsara was notorious for this and I had to do this repair twice in its time with us.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Rochy101
My Cars:

Re: 05 Estate 1.6hdi rear boot button and wiper not working

Post by Rochy101 »

Paul r many thanks , it makes a lot of sense and hrs of fun forthe whole family and soon enough a fixed loom😁
Currently driving
2005 C5 Estate 1.6hdi aka "Duggy" rhd
2006 C5 Estate 1.6hdi aka "Cissy" rhd
1990 Ax 1.1 aka "Baggy" Lhd