2005 Citroen C5 Hand Brake Question...front right cable snapped and all other calipers cannot engaged?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AlvinCitroenC5
My Cars: 2005 Citroen C5 II

2005 Citroen C5 Hand Brake Question...front right cable snapped and all other calipers cannot engaged?

Post by AlvinCitroenC5 »

Hi,

Recently, I have replaced the front right hand brake cable on my 2005 C5 II V6 Petro, because it snapped when I pulled up on the hand brake.

My question is: To my understanding, the hand brake, unlike other cars, engages all four brakes. However, when the front right cable broke, the hand brake level was unable to engage any other calipers. Is this how the hand brake is designed? I would think that an engineer who would design a vehicle to have an improved hand brake design where all 4 calipers will engage would allow the other calipers to continue to engage in case of one cable snapped, or at least the rear two calipers to engage.

Can someone enlighten me on this?

Thank you.

Alvin
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Re: 2005 Citroen C5 Hand Brake Question...front right cable snapped and all other calipers cannot engaged?

Post by 411514 »

Hand brake only operates the front two calipers. The hand brake cables are attached to the handbrake by a 'bridge' which is attached to the handbrake lever at the centre, and the cables are mounted to the outer ends of the bridge. Thus, if one handbrake cable is snapped, the bridge will likely just pivot about its centre and so the other cable will not be pulled taut, if it hasn't become detached completely.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
AlvinCitroenC5
My Cars: 2005 Citroen C5 II

Re: 2005 Citroen C5 Hand Brake Question...front right cable snapped and all other calipers cannot engaged?

Post by AlvinCitroenC5 »

Thank you for clarifying this.