C5 Door Switch Location

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

C5 Door Switch Location

Post by EDC5 »

I'm having a bit of an intermittent fault. Somethimes when I open the drivers door the interior light doesn't come on, the seat doesn't move back and the central locking remains locked for the other doors. As I say it's very intermittent but quite annoying when it does it :(
I've had a look at the car and the forum and cannot locate the position of the door switch, there doesn't appear to be anything visible that the door would push against.

Does anyone know whereabouts the switch is located as I'm going to try and replace it.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: C5 Door Switch Location

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Based on my experience of Xantias, it is possible that the switch is part of the door lock mechanism. On the Xantia there were three switches built into the front door locks. One was for monitoring the lock barrel, the second was for the door button (OK, that is not likely to be on a C5, as there is a central locking button on the dash somewhere), while the third was for monitoring the door catch mechanism itself (so if you tried to lock the car with the door open the system would detect it was open, and not trigger the locks). This last switch MAY (only may, mind you) also be linked to the interior lights and so on.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

EDC5 wrote: 28 Jul 2017, 11:36 I'm having a bit of an intermittent fault. Somethimes when I open the drivers door the interior light doesn't come on, the seat doesn't move back and the central locking remains locked for the other doors. As I say it's very intermittent but quite annoying when it does it :(
I've had a look at the car and the forum and cannot locate the position of the door switch, there doesn't appear to be anything visible that the door would push against.
Does anyone know whereabouts the switch is located as I'm going to try and replace it.

The bit regarding the other doors remaining locked is an option you can configure that determines whether just the driver's door opens when unlocking or all the doors. It is accessed from the car menu (Press in left hand wheel button), Vehicle Parameters, Comfort Option as here:
Capture.PNG
Might be worth checking to see what the setting is there first, but wouldn't account for the other anomalies.

With the car locked, then unlocking, the interior lights should come on straight away before opening the door - check to see if this is happening.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 28 Jul 2017, 11:54 Based on my experience of Xantias, it is possible that the switch is part of the door lock mechanism. On the Xantia there were three switches built into the front door locks. One was for monitoring the lock barrel, the second was for the door button (OK, that is not likely to be on a C5, as there is a central locking button on the dash somewhere), while the third was for monitoring the door catch mechanism itself (so if you tried to lock the car with the door open the system would detect it was open, and not trigger the locks). This last switch MAY (only may, mind you) also be linked to the interior lights and so on.

Thanks for the info, hopefully the C5 will be similar, I'll investigate the door lock over the weekend and hunt for switches.

GiveMeABreak wrote: 28 Jul 2017, 12:14
EDC5 wrote: 28 Jul 2017, 11:36 I'm having a bit of an intermittent fault. Somethimes when I open the drivers door the interior light doesn't come on, the seat doesn't move back and the central locking remains locked for the other doors. As I say it's very intermittent but quite annoying when it does it :(

The bit regarding the other doors remaining locked is an option you can configure that determines whether just the driver's door opens when unlocking or all the doors. It is accessed from the car menu (Press in left hand wheel button), Vehicle Parameters, Comfort Option as here:
Capture.PNG
Might be worth checking to see what the setting is there first, but wouldn't account for the other anomalies.

With the car locked, then unlocking, the interior lights should come on straight away before opening the door - check to see if this is happening.
The first thing I did when i got the car was to configure it to open all doors.... it's very annoying going to the boot with an armfull of stuff and having to find the key agian.

the remote central locking works as intended luckily.

Sometimes I exit the car but the other doors are still locked... then a few seconds later they open and the interior light comes on, suggesting the car still thought the door was closed until the (possibly sticky) swich finally released.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Strangely enough, since this post the switch has worked every time.. how odd :P

maybe the threat of having the problem on the forum has got the car to behave haha.

When it does eventually give up I'll be back no doubt!
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

EDC5 wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 00:22 When it does eventually give up I'll be back no doubt!

Well, I'm back :(

Over the weekend the door switch seems to have died completely so it's time for a replcement.

Is this the item I need? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C5-fr ... Swl5dZceWq

There appears to be a multi-way connector so that suggests that the door switches and possibly the lock solenoids are all internal to the unit?

Has anyone ever done this before? I'm struggling to find any guides :?
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The correct part is very much RPO / year dependent. This shows overall options for an X7 with 138 engine - there's 3 possible choices !
Door lock options
Door lock options
This is how everything fits in a left hand door -
Door lock fittings
Door lock fittings
And this is how to get the lock out:
"Disengage the assembly : Lock (52) - Exterior opening handle caliper - Interior opening handle.
Release and disconnect : The connector (Lock (52) ) (at " u").
Remove the assembly : Lock (52) - Exterior opening handle caliper - Interior opening handle."

For a guide to stripping a door you could start with my 'How To' on replacing a window regulator in an X7 - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57993
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Thanks for that pic..... this isn’t going to be simple is it :lol:

Hmm, since I'll never find the right part maybe it's worth pulling the old one off and opening it up for a look. I'm guessing the switch is inside component '52'?
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Looking at the door harness layout, the only wiring that goes to any of the three components in blue in the above picture is the the one at 'u'.

Here's the harness layout for a left hand door.
Harness layout
Harness layout
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

EDC5 wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 17:26
Hmm, since I'll never find the right part maybe it's worth pulling the old one off and opening it up for a look.

I think I'd start with making absolutely sure it's not a duff wire somewhere in the door wiring loom or where the cables pass from the door pillar to the door itself.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Elis, that part is not correct for your X7 - If it's the door LOCK, then you will need:
9136 EG (9800618580) for the right door control or 9135 CX (9800618480) for the left. They now have been replaced with the part numbers in brackets.

If it's part 5 - the hinged opening door control, then it's 9144 F6 (9144 G4) for the Right Hand module and part 9143 S7 (9143 T8) for the left hand one. Again replacement parts in brackets - to aid with sourcing a spare, but I would certainly double check the harness as Bobins suggests - especially near the door hinges, inside the wiring protection tubes. :)

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Thanks for that, I assume it's the part with the switch in rather than the handle unit as the door always opens fine. Just to be clear I'm looking for part 9136 EG (9800618580) for the drivers side lock?

I'm guessing it's a door card off job... luckily I'm still fresh on that procedure from the speaker change :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's the one Elis. £107.12 inc. VAT from Citroen - IF it is this that's the faulty part.

Marc
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

EDC5 wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 18:37
I'm guessing it's a door card off job... luckily I'm still fresh on that procedure from the speaker change :)

Yep, securing bolts under the trim (50)
Door lock bolts
Door lock bolts
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 18:45 That's the one Elis. £107.12 inc. VAT from Citroen - IF it is this that's the faulty part.

Indeed so ! It's worth noting that PSA cars had a bit of a reputation regarding rubbish wiring where it passes from the door pillar to the door. :roll: #-o