Fuel filter/ priming bulb nightmare help please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnsonr380

Fuel filter/ priming bulb nightmare help please

Post by johnsonr380 »

Hi folks,
Well I decided to clean the egr on my c4 picasso 1.6 hdi all went went and cleaned, or so it seemed. Put everything back, including fuel filter which has not been long changed.

Anyway car was running okay, bit tricky to start at first but was okay for a day.

Went to fill up with fuel and shortly after wouldn't start again.

Anyway it started and got me home, then wouldn't start again.

The fuel filter doesn't appear to have much fuel in it. The priming bulb won't go hard now as I was told to try priming it again. Maybe I've messed something up putting it back in, I've taken the top fuel pipe off and was told to put my finger over over it until the fuel came out......it didn't but there was a gurgling noise.

To top it off I've decided to part ex it, after all that messing around, I know.

I don't want to spend anything on it now, should I try filling the filter with fuel?? Part ex offer isn't great as it is but I've found a lovely replacement at a great price.

Maybe it's full of air, I'm not sure I've done a few egr valves but not really come across an issue like this.

Pain in the backside, any suggestion help or tips would be much appreciated ....massively.
johnsonr380

Re: Fuel filter/ priming bulb nightmare help please

Post by johnsonr380 »

Just to add, I've used the air valve to release air on the filter just now and a bit came out, tried the priming bulb again and it won't go hard just putting more air into the filter.

My uncle removed the 2 x fuel pipes with the white tabs, would it cause an issue if he's got these 2 pipes the wrong way round ??

It's bloody frustrating and it's killing the battery.

I'm about to grab a very large sledge hammer
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I can't imagine you've got the pipes on the wrong way round, I don't think they would fit. The primer never goes hard - when I've done mine, I've just squeezed (a lot) till it stopped gurgling air in the tank, left it a while, then given it another go. It's easier if you pop the primer out of the mount, then you get a proper hold on it. I remember someone saying they were sometimes troublesome to bleed - and to do it with the outlet pipe off the filter first. It may be of course that the primer is faulty, which won't help!
Richard W
johnsonr380

Post by johnsonr380 »

Cheers mate, I thought that about the fuel pipes just trying to rule everything out.

I've taken the bulb out and primed, I've taken the top pipe off but it's not pumping any fuel out.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Has someone emptied the tank?
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Old-Guy wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 20:03 Has someone emptied the tank?

I messed about for ages trying to start a neighbour's Cortina (new) and eventually discovered that someone had cut the fuel line and nicked all the petrol :(
johnsonr380

Post by johnsonr380 »

All sorted, had an air leak on one of the pipes, had it replaced and used a vacuum hose. All is good again.

Haha who steals fuel 😂😂😂