HowTo: Replace the oil cooler on a 1.9D DW8 (Dispatch/Expert, Berlingo/Partner etc)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kenbw2
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: -
Current:
2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD: daily driver
1997 Peugeot 806 1.9TD: backup vehicle
1996 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD: donor car
1997 Citroen Xantia 2.0 16v: Aussie play thing

Former:
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8: got a new owner
1994 Peugeot 106 1.5D: killed by a deer
1996 Peugeot 106 1.5D: cremated

HowTo: Replace the oil cooler on a 1.9D DW8 (Dispatch/Expert, Berlingo/Partner etc)

Post by kenbw2 »

Writing this up because I've had loads of help with this, so I thought I'd pass on my newfound knowledge in the hope it'll help someone else out. Feel free to add any feedback or anything I've missed.

This is based on a 1.9D DW8 engine on a Citroen Dispatch, but should also apply to other DW8s such as Berlingos etc. I assume most of it extends to the older XUDs, but I think the cooler on those is slightly different.

In attempting to diagnose and fix oil getting into my coolant, I've swapped out the oil cooler as a first step before getting the engine stripped. It's a cheap job - £25 got me a replacement cooler from a scrapyard, and it's easy to replace yourself so it's definitely worth a try.

What you'll need:

- Replacement oil cooler. Check first whether yours is the steel or aluminium kind as they are *not* interchangeable (the ring on the back is about 4mm wider on the aluminium ones)
- Mole grips or pliers
- a 27mm socket or spanner
- A bucket or other suitable item to catch coolant and oil spills
- A bit of spare oil and coolant to top up afterwards

First job is to find the cooler. It's mounted on the front of the engine block, sandwiched between he block and the oil filter. It has two coolant hoses on the top of it, and the oil comes through the middle (this will become clear later).

Now is the time to place the bucket underneath to catch runoff. Some of the oil will travel along the oil sump, so make sure it's a bit further back.

Remove the hose clips on the coolant pipes by squeezing the tabs together.

Slide them backwards, being careful not to damage the hoses.

Once they're off, remove the coolant hoses by sliding them off. If they're stuck, don't pull at them. Use a set of mole grips around where the hose was clamped onto the cooler and gently wiggle the hose until it loosens.

Lots of rust on mine, and black on the left one. Not good signs that it's in good nick.

Now remove the oil filter by rotating it anticlockwise. Use appropriate tools if it's super tight. You should then see the front of the cooler with the bolt running through the centre.

With a 27mm socket/spanner, loosen the nut until it can be pulled out. It's not attached to the cooler, but the cooler will drop when the centre bolt is removed so be ready to grab it.

Leaving you just the engine block with exposed oil channels.

Obligatory "Refitting is the reverse of removal". Place the replacement cooler on, reinsert the bolt and tighten (anyone want to let me know torque rating?), add the filter back on, reinstate the coolant hoses and put the clips back.

Start the engine and check for oil and coolant leaks:

If there are no leaks, you're all set! If you're doing this because there's oil in your coolant, be sure to do several thorough flushes of the system with degreaser additives. Remove the header tank and give that several flushes too because the oil will have floated to the top and got in all its nooks.

Good luck!