C4 Misfire and other faults

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rickyhoppy
My Cars: Citroen DS5 Citroen C4 Renault Espace

C4 Misfire and other faults

Post by Rickyhoppy »

Hi Everyone,
New to the forum and it's good to be here. Lots of great info and tales of woe. Looking for a little guidance on a fault that has presented itself on a recently purchased Citroen C4 1.8 petrol 2008, 109,000 miles on the clock. I bought this car as I have a lease car that has run out of miles sitting at 3 years old 10,000 a year and it's 31,000 due back in September.
Bought the car about 6 weeks ago the test drive was fine and no problems for about a week, then it developed a misfire Lexia states a permanent fault misfiring on cylinder No1 Permanent Fault Misfire on serveral cylinders generating a code of P0301. Changed the coil pack and plugs (gaps were huge) and performed a routine service and all was well for around a week then the car went into limp mode engine management light on, esp light, service light on, Faults were P0301 same as before, P1622 , P1336, P1671. Faults Log reads a 7157 external temperature fault D208 no communication with engine managment ECU and U1200 ESP fault. It seems to me to be overfueling the consumption is very poor when the fault occurs and all these light go on it struggles to climb hills even not so steep ones. I can send the screen shots from Lexia if required highlighting the data that was displayed when reading the fault codes. Anyone got any ideas I plan to change No1 injector tomorrow although I suspect that won't cure it. car always has a small misfire which does not generate a fault code until it goes into melt down with all the above mention lights on. Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks In Advance Ricky
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: C4 Misfire and other faults

Post by Lighty »

Tricky one, but the petrol C4's are very common for water temp faults, water switch itself fails & or water gets into wiring & causes high resistance, sometimes all the way back to,the ecu if unlucky.
It's worth checking live data to see if the figure of temp is stable & looks about right.
I have had a few that have read miles out & still don't log a fault.
We ususually cut a plug off an old loom & solder it to the car with a new top quality sensor.
May not be this, but worth a go.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Lighty wrote: 25 Jun 2017, 11:37 We ususually cut a plug off an old loom & solder it to the car with a new top quality sensor.

Is this cut/paste approach to break any possible capillary track from the sensor to the ECU? Also, I have heard of this capillary problem on a few PSA vehicles. Do you know if it's only petrol models or if it applies (presumably) to diesels too?
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
Rickyhoppy
My Cars: Citroen DS5 Citroen C4 Renault Espace

Post by Rickyhoppy »

Hi,
It is a strange one, I forgot to mention that when the fault occurs if you switch the engine off it will reset the fault and the engine management light usually stays on for a while, the fault may return with 10 minutes or it may not go into fault mode for a couple of days, the engine management light will usually go out after the engine is restarted a couple of times until the next time if goes into fault mode. I will check live data the next time it goes into fault mode as I have reset the fault codes and all seems ok for now

Many thanks for your reply Ricky
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

ekjdm14 wrote: 25 Jun 2017, 11:54
Lighty wrote: 25 Jun 2017, 11:37 We ususually cut a plug off an old loom & solder it to the car with a new top quality sensor.

Is this cut/paste approach to break any possible capillary track from the sensor to the ECU? Also, I have heard of this capillary problem on a few PSA vehicles. Do you know if it's only petrol models or if it applies (presumably) to diesels too?

The Diesel engine has a completely different coolant switch housing & doesn't really seem to suffer the issue as often, if at all.
I hadn't considered the soldering stopping the capillary process, but guess it prob would help.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Justin657
My Cars: Multiple french car enthusist that also runs a repair shop for these cars

Post by Justin657 »

Did this fault ever get resolved please as got same issue at the moment on a 2006 c4 grand picasso with the 1700 petrol engine in