My X7 in for warranty work

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: My X7 in for warranty work

Post by Paul-R »

Still waiting for the replacement radio. In the meantime some other faults have emerged.

On Wednesday evening I noticed that the display was saying Zero Satellites received. I switched to the map (I don't normally run with that on just pootling around in the UK) and, sure enough, it was miles out*. I couldn't say how long it's been out for sure but it was definitely working two and a half weeks earlier when I went to Anglesey.

Then, yesterday afternoon, I received a phone call on my mobile and the Bluetooth connection didn't work. Now that was definitely working 24 hours earlier as a similar phone call was routed through the system. It was later that same evening that I noticed the bit about the satellites so possibly not coincidence. The Bluetooth could be a problem at the phone end, of course, but at the moment I'm not inclined to waste any time on something that might be replaced anyway. The Bluetooth is showing as active on the screen but doesn't sync with my phone. Same again this morning.

I'm beginning to feel the car is falling apart around me!

*According to the map I'm currently driving through the Irish Sea!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's indicative of the tuners Paul - or the EEPROM chip - if you can rule out water ingress from the aerial base corroding the wires, or trickling down to the electronics, then the unit is very likely duff. Is the the RNEG Myway? - another member here has an issue with his restarting all the theime after 2 minutes - these seem to be notorious for faults. EEPROM chip to blame AFAIK, which will affect most functions to some degree. Hold out till you get the new unit, but I'm sure this will be the issue.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

The aerial base was replaced a couple of months ago so I would assume that they checked the coaxial cable(s) at the same time.

You'll have to remind me what the RNEG Myway option(s) is/are. I've been reading the other post about the unit restarting. Mine has rebooted a couple of times randomly in the four months I've had it. That could have been a portent of something going wrong in retrospect.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Hi chaps.. my nav3d is rebooting often now.. worryingly i have noticed 2 other things.. the dash and other lights flicker at the same time.. and the power steering starts to switch off also..

Battery at rest seems to be 12.5 and around 13.6 idling.. i havent tested it yet during one of these 'moments' though..

John
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

John - that sounds like an electrical issue if the dash lights are flickering too and the PS is playing up - I would double check the earthing points, whether the battery terminals are making good contact and all the plugs on the engine fusebox are secure. Next I would check the alternator - is it actually generating current?

Marc
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

About to set off on a 3hour drive Marc.. may have a look about over weekend ..hope all is ok in the meantine..

I guess alternator is doing something if volts are 13.6 but maybe when all the clicking starts things will be different..
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

The fact the engine has been changed and earth points and fusebox disturbed could be relevant though.. good thinking ;)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

OK good luck - let's just hope you don't need Flintstone Power!

Marc
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

well car as always was amazing over the weekend.. it really is a great car for long journeys, by far the best I have had.. I think around 48mpg with a windsurfer on the roof, taking it steady. No electrical issues at any point.
but there is a pattern.. after any weekend away, the gremlins pop over on Monday.. always without fail.. today I made work with no probs (4 miles) except the clickety-clicks.. an ominous sound..

on my way home, they happened again, and as usual, all warning signs came on.. tyre pressures, remote door locking, handbrake and the only one that is annoying - a gearbox limp mode.. just bizarre..

I feel I am starting to understand when things will go wrong, which is a start ;)
great car, and I will figure a way to sort this issue..
j
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

jgra1 wrote:but there is a pattern.. after any weekend away, the gremlins pop over on Monday.j
Change the car's date to when you want the gremlins to appear, say, Friday ... :D
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

Vb! That is a great suggestion!! :rofl2: :-D thanks a lot!
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

You're welcome ... :D
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Got a phone call on Thursday saying that the radio had arrived from Italy. Took it in yesterday morning and when I picked it up after work they said that Long Wave reception was much improved and that they could confirm that the SatNav could see the satellites.

But (there had to be a but) as soon as I got into the car I could tell that the R4FM "shushing" noise was still there. I thought I'd better give it a bit more time but the short trip home merely confirmed that the problem is a bad as ever. So what could be the problem? Is it a design fault? Could the aerial cable front to back be at fault somehow? Is there something else in between that's causing the problem? Could the replacement aerial/amplifier and/or radio be faulty? The radio isn't a new one, it's a service replacement so supposedly fixed and brought up to date with the latest firmware.

I was also unable to pair my phone with Bluetooth. This may be a problem with my phone so I'll try my wife's over the weekend.

Now the good news. The on board maps have been updated. All are 2015-16 2ed which I hope are the latest.

So, a difficult phone call on Monday morning to see what the next step is. Getting anything further done is going to be complicated by the fact that we'll be going away next weekend for the summer. And then, come September, there's only a month and a bit before it falls out of warranty.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well it seems there was obviously a fault with the unit regardless, as you can see the satellites now. Re the Bluetooth - did you delete the actual pairing data from your phone first and then make it discoverable and try the routine again?

Assuming you have RDS on - it sounds like it may be an aerial / aerial wiring issue - or there is something in the car causing some interference. The most common source of noise or interference is the Antenna. It might be that it's not grounded properly, or that the antenna is running too near to other electrical equipment. I believe you can put an additional supressor between the Head Unit and the Aerial. Assuming your car will give you a few minutes and isn't going straight into enonomy mode, do you still get the radio interference without the engine running or ignition on?

In case you're up for a bit of DIY signal sourcing - you might want to give this a try which I found this evening:
Finding other sources of interference
Interference can also be radiated by a metal part of the car insulated from the main body.

The bonnet and boot lid, bumpers, rear axle and suspension units are among possible sources.
Some electronic devices may also cause interference. The more that are fitted or added, the greater the chance that one is interfering with another, producing a humming background noise.

There are two ways to locate the source, both requiring special devices.
For an AM radio, use an aerial extension lead with a metal rod attached. Plug the lead into the set, start the engine and turn on the radio. Do not open the bonnet.
Probe underneath and all around the car with the metal rod to find where the interference is strongest. Earth that part to the body with a bonding strap.

For an FM radio, use a metal plate with a long earth lead bolted to it. Secure the other end of the lead tightly to bare chassis metal under a convenient nut or bolt. Start the engine and turn on the radio. Do not open the bonnet.
Hold the plate with a pair of insulated pliers and move it underneath and all around the car. The plate acts as an interference reflector.
If the interference decreases at a certain point the reflector has picked up the source of the trouble. Earth that component with a bonding strap.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I deleted the Bluetooth pairing from my phone and then started again. Pairing is much quicker now compared to before.

I also phoned the dealer yesterday. They don't have any more ideas. I gave them my possible causes and he said "maybe" to the design fault and agreed that h would see what else he could find out. They can't fit me in the workshop this week so that means it'll be September before they can take it back in. I'm getting worried I'll run out of warranty first.

I haven't been able to try the shielding exercise but I'll try to make some time when we're on holiday.

He also suggested asking around on the forums. Does anybody know any good ones? :rofl2: