C5 X7 ambient lighting (and some other bits and pieces)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

przemekwieckowsk
My Cars:

Re: C5 X7 ambient lighting

Post by przemekwieckowsk »

As collogue vborovic i'm going to make few thinks in parallel . Today i've bought switches module with ( over the steering wheel ) with gear shift pads - it is more important mod for me than make running amibinet light ( of course i'll not throw this topic away ). I got this complete switching module by around 30,00 EUR. I'm wonder if there is wire harness in my car for handle it - but for me it is just simple switches . Now i need to find dedicated steering column for gear switch pads... at least i'll do milling by my self :)

Some small thing and lot of happiness :)

When i'll receive module i'll will create new topic for people interesting in.

Regards for all
P.W.
Regards
-
Past : Citroen BX 1.9TRD, Citroen GSA 1.3, Citroen XM 3.0 V6 12V, Citroen Xantia 1.8i, Citroen 2.0 Turbo CT
Now : Citroen C5 (I) 2.0i 16V , Citroen C5 (X7)Tourer 3.0V 24V
przemekwieckowsk
My Cars:

Now i need to find dedicated steering column COVER for gear switch pads... at least i'll do milling by my self :)
P.W.
Regards
-
Past : Citroen BX 1.9TRD, Citroen GSA 1.3, Citroen XM 3.0 V6 12V, Citroen Xantia 1.8i, Citroen 2.0 Turbo CT
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Just wondering? Do you have the AT6 gearbox? If yes, then the gear shift pads won't be of use to you ... :)
Last edited by vborovic on 08 Oct 2016, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

OK....interesting....are you saying the gear change switch controls are plug and play ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Don't know the english term, literal translation from croatian would be manual controlled/piloted 6-speed gearbox ... if you have it, it will work plug & play (but, that gearbox option already has the pads on the steering wheel in the first place) ... for the AT6 transmission, there shouldn't be a possibility of wiring the pads to the gearbox control ... I've researched this already, and that's the conclusion I came up with ... I'd rather I was wrong of course ... :D

The gearbox in question in the car looks like this:
pilotedec0b_zpsawlkbrtd.jpg
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 13 Nov 2021, 09:35, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Restored Images
przemekwieckowsk
My Cars:

My gearbox is BVA AM6C - called also if i'm not wrong : TF-80SC. It is automatics gearbox and it can work in manual sequence mode. So i'm sure i can bring this pads into life even if there is no wire harness. Hope .. :)
P.W.
Regards
-
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I've seen one C6 for sale with those pads - and it has got same gearbox. So shouldn't be problem.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

przemekwieckowsk wrote:My gearbox is BVA AM6C - called also if i'm not wrong : TF-80SC. It is automatics gearbox and it can work in manual sequence mode. So i'm sure i can bring this pads into life even if there is no wire harness. Hope .. :)
Yes, we know which gearbox it is ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... per the Service Documentation (couldn't find the related schematics so far), the pads are only available for the piloted/robotised 6-speed gearbox ... I know I used to search how to get them working on the AT6 gearbox quite a while back, but never found the location(s) which needed connecting or modifications to get things working.
padsb8fe_zpssrgipllx.jpg
On a side note, the sequential gear selection is so slow to pick up the gear change, I don't know who enjoys it, I just use D mode, and off we go ... :)
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 13 Nov 2021, 09:35, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Restored Images
przemekwieckowsk
My Cars:

Hello,
I agree , gearbox Is slow, whole care is slow :) , event it is 3.0 V6. It is not a racing car but i think sometimes these pads could be useful, I think.
Today i've received pads with other switches

Tommorow checking if wireharness exists

Colegue vborovic don't be so pesimistic - shifting is just a 0/1 signal on wire ( wires) so even if there is no wire harness it could be easy to attach do gearbox handle in specific logic / sequential mode +/- control /
P.W.
Regards
-
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

przemekwieckowsk wrote:Colegue vborovic don't be so pesimistic - shifting is just a 0/1 signal on wire ( wires) so even if there is no wire harness it could be easy to attach do gearbox handle in specific logic / sequential mode +/- control /
Electronically speaking, you're right ... but I guess Citroen had some kind of logic going on when they decided to leave the pads out from the AM6 gearbox ... fingers crossed you succeed ...
Last edited by vborovic on 08 Oct 2016, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
przemekwieckowsk
My Cars:

Thanks , keep your fingers crossed strongly :) it will be helpfull. I think reason to not connect pads to AM6 is the same as not to install ambient light in newest C5 X7, or making lifting on car for next year - i'm pretty sure ( maybe i'm wrong ) that just marketing guy can explain this - because form technical point of view it is not problem . Maybe some person in project department forgot about this or just thought that it <eg. shifting pads> will be improvement in next generation of C5 X7 III just to be some expensive option you can choose or not - marketing.
AM6 is japan AISIN gearbox and is used widely in the word by car producers.
For example if you'll look into volvo instruction : http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/ ... F-80SC_AWD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In this case paddles are an accessory for the same gearbox i have in my C5. I think that someone in Citroen just not predicted to install paddles in C5 X7 early version ( probably when someone thought about this ,it was too late - i work in automotive industry and its standard that some possible options are considered when its to late, and provided in next version /facelift/ of car ). In my opinion there is no technical reason of that.
P.W.
Regards
-
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

For the others wondering, a single pad from the dealer costs approx 40 GBP ... :) ... luckily I have other projects waiting for me, so I don't want to attempt this at this time, but, later, who knows ... :D
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

I will keeping watching this thread as I believe that the pads will work even if you have rewire the car by extending the switch wires from the gearstick upto to the steering wheel mounted pads. My only thought is, does the BSI need to know stick has been moved sideways before changing up or down manually? If not the adaption should be quite easy.
I also agree with comments regarding options being left off, but not to be included in future models but to save money. If you remember just after the car was launched Citroën were struggling for market share and then the world economy crashed at the time of the facelift launch, also with less on the car there's less to go wrong and reliability increases. Which is the same reason the Hydro suspension is being dropped.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Sloppysod wrote:Which is the same reason the Hydro suspension is being dropped.
Generally, quite possible. But, the next redesigned X7 (new engines and new multimedia system) still has the Hydractive available, so go figure.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

vborovic wrote:
Sloppysod wrote: the next redesigned X7 (new engines and new multimedia system) still has the Hydractive available, so go figure.
Citroen have not committed publicly to this either way....but why would they after the rumor came out and they had some reactive customer "feed-back"
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting