How to replace the Shift Knob?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

begins
My Cars:

How to replace the Shift Knob?

Post by begins »

Hi all,

So disappointed today, my 2007 C5 shift knob actually cracked when I was shifting the gear. I wonder what sort of material do their use in France? :-D

Can I simply replace it with a universal shift knob? By the way, is it easy to pull out the existing shift knob in the 1st place?

Kindly advise me and Thank you very much.

Regards,
begins
My Cars:

Re: How to replace the Shift Knob?

Post by begins »

Hi all,

Surprisingly easy to replace the gear knob. Simply pull upward and the knob is off.

The bare stick is pretty long so make sure get yourself a longer universal gear knob. IMHO, the internal depth of the knob should be at least 10cm to fit well.

Regards,
nonnus
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 2.0HDi Activa
Citroen C5 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by nonnus »

begins wrote: 08 Jul 2013, 05:55 Hi all,

Surprisingly easy to replace the gear knob. Simply pull upward and the knob is off.

The bare stick is pretty long so make sure get yourself a longer universal gear knob. IMHO, the internal depth of the knob should be at least 10cm to fit well.

Regards,

Hello Begins...
Can you tell me if the gear knob you pull out from your C5 is similar to this? (6 speed manual!!)
As shown in the url image https://preview2.netcarshow.com/Citroen ... 600-2f.jpg
I need to replace my gear knob, because the "rubberish" part of the knob is breaking to pieces!! :(
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I think on later cars you have to grab the knob, rotate it 90° anti-clockwise and then pull it upwards. Be careful pulling it off as it will come away suddenly and you might hit yourself in the face!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
nonnus
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 2.0HDi Activa
Citroen C5 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by nonnus »

Paul-R wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 09:53 I think on later cars you have to grab the knob, rotate it 90° anti-clockwise and then pull it upwards. Be careful pulling it off as it will come away suddenly and you might hit yourself in the face!

Ok... Paul-R!
So, no matter what, to remove the gear knob, the main thing is also a matter of pulling up with "carefull" force!!
I will try that and see if it works!

Thank you very much... ;)