Eolys?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Eolys?

Post by myglaren »

On their website Rhodia imply that they developed it but do not say so overtly.
PompeyLad
My Cars: C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive facelift 2006 hatch
C5 1.6 HDI VTR hatch 2004
Xantia 2.0 HDI exclusive 99
ZX 2.0 turbo diesel Volcane

Post by PompeyLad »

Just a word on the enduring mysteries of Eolys. I have just topped up my 2006 C5 2.0HDI with PAT fluid. Clickfit colour was white. Tank wasn't empty and no warning was seen prior to top-up. Car running okay so far.
See my post in Stickies for more detail.
Pompey Lad
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

PompeyLad wrote:Just a word on the enduring mysteries of Eolys. I have just topped up my 2006 C5 2.0HDI with PAT fluid. Clickfit colour was white. Tank wasn't empty and no warning was seen prior to top-up. Car running okay so far.
See my post in Stickies for more detail.
Pompey Lad
So effectively you have mixed PAT with Eolys 176 will be interesting to see if the scare stories about mixing fluids come true.
If you have a Lexia would be interesting to see what the pressure drop across the FAP is and monitor it, if the fluid is not working one would expect the pressure drop to increase more rapidly although without any reference data what is more rapidly.....?

I have just thought of another dimension on this. The additive injection ECU has two counters one is the amount of fluid in the tank and one represents the amount of cerine in the filter presumably the ECU calculates this value based upon the characteristics of the fluid it believes it's injecting, if the fluid characteristics change then presumably the filter "load" calculation could be in error.

Not sure what this would mean in practice, unless there is some comparison between filter load as measured by pressure drop across it measured by engine injection ECU, and filter load as measured by the additive injection ECU. I don't know if they do that but if I was designing the system I would as a way of ensuring that the system was in general terms functioning correctly.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
PompeyLad
My Cars: C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive facelift 2006 hatch
C5 1.6 HDI VTR hatch 2004
Xantia 2.0 HDI exclusive 99
ZX 2.0 turbo diesel Volcane

Post by PompeyLad »

Reply to last post: The PAT fluid I used claims commonality with 42/176 and there have been many users of it. The 'clicklfit' buttons were white, which doesn't indicate 176.

I was also previously advised that the FAP pressure drop sensor is not an analogue i.e. it does not actually measure the pressure drop, just reacts to an acceptable or non-acceptable figure accordingly.

I'll be back if problems arise....

Pompey LAd
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

PompeyLad wrote:Reply to last post: The PAT fluid I used claims commonality with 42/176 and there have been many users of it. The 'clicklfit' buttons were white, which doesn't indicate 176.

I was also previously advised that the FAP pressure drop sensor is not an analogue i.e. it does not actually measure the pressure drop, just reacts to an acceptable or non-acceptable figure accordingly.

I'll be back if problems arise....

Pompey LAd
I would'nt put to much faith in the colour of the click connectors, the age of the car is the key, as far as I know DPX was phased out roundabout 2003.
The FAP pressure sensor is a true differential pressure sensor and on the Lexia you can actually read the pressure across the filter, in Bars if I remember correctly.
The engine ECU uses the pressure drop to determine the carbon load in the filter it is definitely not a "bang bang" system, the advice you were given was not correct

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Filter DP is in mbar - you can graph it in real time on Diagbox to see what is happening. My 307 is reaching 100 mbar under load - which suggests to me the DPF needs cleaning!
Richard W
triumphtoledo

Post by triumphtoledo »

Not that I am trying to openly sell the latest issue of Car Mechanics that looks into this in great detail but it was found that the clickfit colour was not entirely accurate. Plus, the manufacturers of one-size-fits-all Eolys-replacement fluids refused to hand over any type of performance evidence to back-up their compatibility claims, including not only mixing ability but also the quantity of ash deposits in the DPF. Yet, there is an alternative to the main dealer...

R
C5 and P2 2-8-2 fan
My Cars: 2006 C5
2000 Xantia

Post by C5 and P2 2-8-2 fan »

Hi all,

Having recently acquired a somewhat neglected C5 automatic (AM6) I have been gradually correcting what hadn't been done by the previous owner over the last four years, fortunately, after some work, it has just passed the mot ok.
The main problem was low eolys oil, giving rise to excessive fuel consumption (2.00L Hdi 136bhp), the fuel gauge was dropping as you looked at it! (How nice to have a fuel gauge which actually works after the Xantia)

I ordered this 3 litre kit:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141326873938 which arrived very quickly from Germany and added it to the tank, I don't know how much was left in, incidentally the pipes and tank on mine were different to all the videos, I filled via the thin tube with the green connector.

These websites may also be helpful:
http://www.pcsparts.co.uk/Web%20Pages/E ... reness.pdf
http://www.walker-eu.com/en-uk/walker-p ... nge/eolys/

Aisin AM6 Gearbox oil: http://www.smithandallan.com/

After resetting to zero with Lexia and a dose of MAF and EGR cleaner plus a good dose of Redex in the tank and an Italian tune up in sport mode the fuel consumption is much much better and the mot emissions was passed with no problems.

Hope this is of some help.

All I have to do now is drain the LHM which some misguided soul put in and replace with LDS and give the gearbox several drain and refills as I don't suppose it has been touched in 140k miles, the handbrake cables and timing belt can wait for the warmer weather!
milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Post by milleplod »

Very useful that, thanks. I'm thinking I ought to get my Eolys topped up ('09 C5 Exclusive Tourer auto) as its done 70-odd k miles now. As a matter of interest, what are your before and after mpg figures like? Do you have your own Lexia? I'm hoping to find someone local, garage or otherwise, that can do the Eolys, plus disable the tyre pressure sensors once I've had my winter tyres fitted.

I've used Smith and Allan before for my bike's gearbox oil and some very-hard-to-find special grease for its driveshaft splines - they're very helpful, highly recommended.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
C5 and P2 2-8-2 fan
My Cars: 2006 C5
2000 Xantia

Post by C5 and P2 2-8-2 fan »

Sorry I haven't had the chance to work out exact figures but I would estimate the mpg when I got the car was in the 20 - 30 range and is now in the 40 - 50 as near as I can tell, not quite as good as the Xantia but it is an automatic and a heavier car. (I think the MAF sensor was quite dirty which didn't help)

I do have a Lexia from Easy diagnostics and can thoroughly recommend them, but unfortunately I'm in darkest Essex so quite a way from you.

I would second re Smith and Allan very quick delivery via courier, very few other places seem to stock the correct oil for the AM6.

Dave
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Not so much an illustrated way to do it but some very interesting info on what it does from Citronet.
scrolling down to the bottom of the first page brings up more about the FAP system.

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenger-c ... tech3.html
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
russbif
My Cars: Citroen C3 Picasso
Mk1 MX5 Miata

Post by russbif »

I refilled my Eolys bag with PAT fluid 4 years ago, still going strong, checked the bag the other week and it had a slight weep, cleaned the bag off with alcohol and then sealed it with aluminium tape.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

That is an interesting snippet of info, 4 yrs, how many miles has it done in that time? and any info of work / checks done on the filter would be of interest
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

as im skint etc and as the pat fluid is mixed with the fueland not into dpf could i not just fill Eolys tank with good diesil and just pop off dpf anually and pressure wash?
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As certain additive types cannot be mixed together, I would certainly not recommend putting diesel into the additive tank either! You may knacker the additive pump and that will be more costly to fix. The additive should last 60-70 thousand miles at least, so not too expensive over that sort of period.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc