XANTIA BLOWER WORKING INTERMITTENTLY

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevestix8
My Cars: Xantia SX H.d.i 2.0L (S reg, 98)

Re: XANTIA BLOWER WORKING INTERMITTENTLY

Post by stevestix8 »

CitroJim wrote:
stevestix8 wrote: I found on ebay a Citroen blower fix kit. see link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320995843641? ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That looked good Steve :-D Shame he's sold out.
Hi,

You can still get the fix kits (cheaper now) from the same ebay seller. see link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Peuge ... 5843641%26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am happy I have fixed mine with this relatively simple fix kit.

Has been working well with adjusting air speed with the internal car temp. Like it used to do on auto air flow setting. Also the variable slider switch is working well if I want to adjust air flow.

Steve
Dean Cary

Post by Dean Cary »

I'm about to find out tomorrow why my Xantia's blower stopped working. It was becoming intermittent for a while and lately it's been silent. I notice the rear window demister stopped working at the same time, so I'm assuming rightly or wrongly there is a connection somewhere (forgive the pun). It would be nice to be able to defog the bloody windows and warm the cabin up a bit quicker with the crap weather we've been having in NZ lately...Summer must be just around the corner, surely!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Dean Cary wrote:I'm about to find out tomorrow why my Xantia's blower stopped working. It was becoming intermittent for a while and lately it's been silent. I notice the rear window demister stopped working at the same time, so I'm assuming rightly or wrongly there is a connection somewhere (forgive the pun). It would be nice to be able to defog the bloody windows and warm the cabin up a bit quicker with the crap weather we've been having in NZ lately...Summer must be just around the corner, surely!
If rear window has stopped demisting then chances are it's the ignition switch so the relay mod needs to be done.
While you've got the steering colum covers off, pull out the orange relay, this is the rear window relay, and check for any scorching on the contacts. Cassy's had some dry joints inside and some impressive burning by the contacts and I wonder if that could be related to the ignition switch burning out.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Timmy69
My Cars:

Post by Timmy69 »

Hi
My blower has suddenly stopped working,The missus was out in the car then stalled it(How can you stall a diesel ?) she said when she started the car again,the blower had stopped working,i looked at the fuses and they seem fine..Should i check under the passenger side carpet for a loose connection ?.I have been reading some of the answers but am as thick as 2 short planks when it comes to electrical things.Prior to it stopping the blower was working fine.
As Before Any Help Appreciated
Timmy
Timmy69
My Cars:

Post by Timmy69 »

Quick UPDATE
Looks like someone before me has done some work on the motor..There is a really thin brown and white wire that doesn't look like it was there originally.It seems to run into the brown plug holding 4 wires and is attached to a plug and socket which i can't see where it goes.
Thanks for your time.
Timmy
smc6

No Power on Fuse 21 Xantia 1.8i 2000

Post by smc6 »

Xantia 1.8i 2000:
Heater blower has no power on red cable at brown connector into motor. I've replaced the resistor, brushes, and relay. The fan/blower works when powered.
I have power on fuse 5 but no power on fuse 21.
There is power on Block B in the engine fuse box.

I don't know how to proceed to figure out how to trace the fault as to why fuse 21 is not getting power.
I've reviewed the various threads hoping to find the answer.

Questions:
How do you remove the fuse block and is it worth it to look for something burned out?
What feeds fuse 21?
Can I jump some wire to put 12v into the relay and do so without messing up something else?
Any help would be appreciated.
Steve
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Timmy

I've sent you a couple of PMs but they appear to be sitting in my outbox and going no where. - I'm Ok for this weekend if you want me to have a look at your blower fan.

Rory
Timmy69
My Cars:

Post by Timmy69 »

My Heater is sorted Due to Rory Perrett who i can't thank enough :)
andybsmith

Post by andybsmith »

Mine went and I got another unit from a breaker
Its a French car, it has foibles, patience is a virtue
Xantia VSX 155 bhp
C5 2.2 Exclusive
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

over the years we have found that some of the blower units are serviceable and some are not if there are 3 screws in the back of the blower housing they usually pull appart after undoing the thee philips head screws we have been replacing the brushes by sanding down cheap drill brushes (often supplied as spares in a little plastic bag with the drill) to the correct size as availability of the motors become less and less over time. we used to be able to buy the brushes for a pound a set but even that supply has dried up now.
I also found with my 1998 S2 xantia that the thick red lead that connects to the back of the blower was getting hot due to a dirty spade connection this burnt the wire and the black death set in quite badly increasing its resistance making it hotter and hotter each time the blower was turned on.
this also affects the speed of the blower motor. it might just be worth checking the connection of this thick red lead and seeing if it has hardened off along its length as it may have been overheating like my old one did. my advice is if you see one on a scrappy grab it especially if it is a take appart one, our local scrap yeards sell them really cheap because they know that the brushes could be gone. brushes from fiat motors also fit with a little bit of sanding down.
regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Thanks for the posts with all the interesting information, a very useful thread!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Just to pick up where Xac left off on the ignition locks in Citroens they are a steel case with brass pins inside them which fill the spaces in the key when it is inserted into the ignition lock, the majority of keys are made of steel and they wear out the brass pins inside the ignition lock, I have found that filling the ignition lock with Vaseline twice a year in the last ten years pushing the Vaseline into the lock with the key has prevented the collapse of my ignition lock in my Xantia where previously I was replacing non-lubricated ignition locks a lot more frequently in the old Citroen BX's. a bit off topic but worth a mention.
regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
longgo
My Cars: was Xantia I LPG
now - Xantia II
wish DS23

Post by longgo »

Hi chaps,
That "old" topic open my eyes for some ideas of mine and thanks for those pictures and info. My "problem" if there is any, that somehow my Xantia Mk2 with A/C haven`t enough fan blow power or i think the case is that. All set positions Auto,1,2,3,Max - work. But.. well.. If i put the fan to max,close all ventilation exit and leave the flow-controller to window position.. still the flow is weak. I start to suspect the inside flap, or cabin filter...
With flow-controller switched to forward cabin ventilation position , i have one idea better flow pressure but again feel little weak. One other thing that i saw was that if the car engine goes overloaded , in example i drive on 3th but the rpm goes less than 2000 or even 1400 and try to keep up, the heating fan is on max but his rpm also goes down and rise again to max right after the engine goes up.
The weather is -16°C and is not such a time for doing repair or test outside, but i wish to get some tips in advance and to research the situation. Or maybe just i need to sit in another xantia and to see how actually is(was) before to make any tuning :)
Well the whole effort is because is so slow the defrost , or removing the moisture from my windshield and my memories from my ex X1 or ZX(non A/C) was for much faster and stronger effect.

Cheers
falling-out-with-my-car

The inside outside air control lever should make a satisfying clunk as the airflow is switched from inside/outside/inside.
If Not the flap control cable/ lever bottom right may have become detached from the control switch. its a bit of a grey area without actually having a look at it.
Try some of the above tips to see if it is a wiring fault, the fan motor is in the passenger footwall behind the dashboard in the corner, 3 x Philips/posidrive screws to remove it if necessary, although not to sure about the European configuration on left hand drives if that is what you have?
longgo
My Cars: was Xantia I LPG
now - Xantia II
wish DS23

Post by longgo »

The inside outside air control lever MAKE a satisfying clunk as the airflow is switched from inside/outside/inside and there is no issue. I spoke for the flap changing between straight to the cabin <-> front windshield position of the blower blast which flap is in front of the heating matrix. I hope car`s other A/C flap work well because changing from warm to cold is provided with flap moving sound and i think i feel the motor move it. Still cant be 100% sure though. And yes mine is EU car not UK version.