Sinker xantia scrap or keep, bosch fuel pump issues...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Re: Sinker xantia scrap or keep, bosch fuel pump issues...

Post by citronut »

did you fit the seal into the reg first, or did you try fitting the seal onto the pipe first, the later is wrong,

the other thing can stop the metal spout at the end of citroen hydraulic pipes going into there socket is, if on removing them you slightly bent the spout between the start of the thread on the flare nut and the tip of this spout,
if this happens to me i find a ring spanner that fits onto the spout but not over the flare nut thread, and use this to ease the spout stright and inperfect line with the thread on the flare nut,

not so easy on 6.35 pipe as it is on 3.5

sorry i wernt sat at me complicator waiting for your shouts for help :roll: #-o :yikes: :eye: :eye: , but i had to got and collect her who thinks she should be obeyed from work
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I've come into this late and haven't read the full thread yet but if you need a full healthy
engine with diesel pump, hydraulic pump alternator and fdv, I have an engine off a
sinker '94 that is going to be weighed in if I can't find somewhere to put it. It came out
of my first ever Xantia purchased.

The engine is in Swansea and I can let you have it for £75 complete - drive your Xantia here
and I'll hoist it in the boot - it's currently in the back of an Xm!
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Box and turbo are present too:

Nothing moves you like a Citroën
PhilGreaves

Post by PhilGreaves »

Haha its ok Malcolm, had to pack up myself anyway. I got a bit of help off facebook, so slackened off regulator and tried again. help came from that jim eastment felaa...name rings a bell...but no idea were from ;)

had another look and yes I think you are right, though it is hard to be exact the seal in regulator (yes seal in reg first! but you were right to check with my lack of knowledge) is angling left, implying that the pipe is going in at an angle. That and there being a gap on the right but very very tight on the left makes me think its bent like this: \ i.e to the right therefore have bent it back left and it now sits better but still not enough. will keep trying I guess. Really need o get moving on it as I've still got to do replace and order the 9mm pipe, pull off flexi...and do front to rears really before I can even think about letting it near he garage. I need to save all the money I can to pay for he bodywork!

Hi Andrew, firstly you should read the thread thoroughly: Dr sock is a classic...(!! who knows when he'll be back).

More seriously thank you for your very kind offer. It is most generous but im afraid the xantia is in bits and no mot'd for the moment: see page 3 half way down for failure list. Even then I wouldn't know how to get your engine in. If I had a car and somewhere safe to put it/knew how to store it I'd still have it as a spare. But I don't have any way of doing these things.

Related note. Although we've never met our paths have crossed on here a few times and I would like to say how sad I am about your current collection circumstances. Though as they say there comes a point to move things on if only to save on agro....<ahem> stares at xantia....

I don't suppose Andrew you've got a suitable replacement whole xantia you could sell me?! a mk1 a sinker or not, just no airbag/badge on bonnet. VSX would be nice. Must be manual...I'd give it a very nice home with my bx..or failing that a xantia activa as I liked chris' (! wishful thinking!!) or a mk 1b/2 xantia to use whilst im rebuilding these two. I reckon I can get classic car insurance rather cheaply.

ah well back to bending pipes. Though im at a loss as to how it got bent in the first place: tis not easy to bend!

EDIT: "as per facebook CCC group. JFC: its in!!! right then 9mm pipe starting point....THANKS EVERYONE" Haven't tightened it up fully yet as I'm not sure how far to tightened it/don't want to over tighten.... come on flex..

EDIT: DEUX..Chev...no sorry wrong car. Flexi off.

right instructions to future users/idiots trying this at home.

If pipe is bent as above, below the thread, you can tell because the pipe will move the seal at an angle in press reg as I've described above. Though it is opposite way around: more space on rights then bend pipe left, as the pipe is like this \ etc

To bend take a 13mm ring spanner and put over pipe. Put around union (this will be loose ish so it wont round it off) Then put 8mm ring spanner round bottom of pipe. This is difficult as you have to be far enough down to get leverage but not too far down you wreck the edge. So tread carefully. Then pull 13mm with one hand and pull 8mm with other i.e. in opposite directions. By securing the pipe on the union with the 13mm you can get sufficient leverage to bend the pipe. Don't forget to keep lining it up to press reg to see how far you've bent it as you don't want to bend too far.

As for flexi. pull, pull..etc and twist, back and forth to loosen it....it does come off but slowly..

Thanks guys will be back on alter to check for updates. Jut that 9mm pipe to disconnect from the other end and replace. then god willing no more leaks from front end.

Come on people this car is fixable and I *will* get it mots and bodywork done... :-D just gotta keep going
Xantia Columnist xantia@CitroenCarClub.org
1984 Citroen BX 16 TRS (winner now with working PAS!!)
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (mk 1a. Jan 1994 with antisink valve. Restored by chevronics..new rear quarters fitted etc :shock: )

2009 Citroen C3 1.6Hdi 16v 90bhp Exclusive
PhilGreaves

Post by PhilGreaves »

just been talking to the farmer whos scrapping his 1.9 td dispatch van. Are any of the parts transferable? I'm thinking especially about the rubber pipes etc air filter pipe that tend to perish. But the engine bay is a different shape/orientation so i'm not sure what will fit? any thoughts? tempting to nick the turbo....but he reckons its unreliable and is awaiting scrap now.. (obviously if anyone else needs parts I can ask).

right think I've got it. Its this component and its the pipe highlighted? (photo looking towards the lhm tank and orientation as fitted to the car per fitted to car) on the other hand is there only one 9mm pipe leading into the safety valve? :?:
Also is it ok that its that rusty?

will head to dealers to enquire about pipe and new 9mm seal.

thanks very much guys

1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (mk 1a. Jan 1994 with antisink valve. Restored by chevronics..new rear quarters fitted etc :shock: )

PhilGreaves

Post by PhilGreaves »

well am assuming that above is correct component.

Just trying to remove old 9mm pipe. Access is interesting. Just trying to remove the old plastic guards underneath to give better access to clip on gearbox (??) housing. Is difficult as someone has cable tied it all together in one mess.

clip on gearbox housing is well rusted. bolt comes off but twists the pipe too. hence hoping to clear plastic and get a socket on it..or enough access to grip it. Would rather not destroy it as not sure if its still available nor at what cost..

will report back as and when I actually achieve anything today. (feeling a bit down t.b.h that even the clips are difficult to remove.)

thanks (if anyone's still there?!)

Phil

edit one on gearbox off though clip all fused together. hopefully can get a replacement as I don't fancy leaving it unsupported. other one off to though clip still on pipe I got the nut off ok. Bolt seems to want to remain where it is as it comes through inner front wing. Any idea if there are only two clips and need to know if im right over the above/which pipe on safety valve to remove

next one then...

oh dear that 9mm pipe on pressure reg is a nightmare to get to. Literally cant get the spanner onto it never mind turn it. any ideas as to what to remove :?:

PhilGreaves

Post by PhilGreaves »

Hi guys

chris has kindly come down today to help me with the pipe.

Unfortunately we are unable to get the pipe off/get to it. Have tried removing plastic wheel arch liner but to no avail as component is behind metal of front inner wing. LHM tank still out too. Nut is now rounding off. Cant really get to cut it either. Though if we do cut it and get it off how do you get a spanner to the new one??!

Please please help. This has dragged on for long enough lol and chris isn't here for too long.

SOX (Save Our Xantia!!)

thanks
chris and phil

edit never mind done! thanks to chris!!!

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Good work, I was reading through that worrying.
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

elma wrote:Good work, I was reading through that worrying.
Good work :?

They couldn't get the pipe off .. or am I reading this wrongly :roll:
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
elma

Post by elma »

Then at the end it said
"edit never mind done! thanks to chris!!!"
Unless he meant done for but I reckon they did it.
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

elma wrote:Then at the end it said
"edit never mind done! thanks to chris!!!"
Unless he meant done for but I reckon they did it.
You're right ... now why didnt that show on my end when i was reading it? I apologise profusely (think thats the right word ..)
Mike

elma

Post by elma »

You're too polite, I don't deserve an apology for that :-D
I missed it on my first read as well.
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Not over polite to all unfortunately as recent events would testify ... it's a long story but suffice to say that i've been around a lot longer than my 'Northerner' profile would suggest and am now a more mellow, mild mannered forum member, although not all would agree. As you are now a moderator, congrats btw, an apology did seem appropriate, grovel, grovel [emoji6]
Last edited by superloopy on 07 Jun 2015, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

elma

Post by elma »

Well I can't complain about that.

How's the pipe holding up Phil?
PhilGreaves

Post by PhilGreaves »

sorry haven't been on as easier to share pics on facebok etc and didn't think anyone else was bothering with this thread! lol in fairness it was always usually citronut..and well. Unfortunately his words of wisdom above wil be his last in this post :(.

re pipe don't know!! cant start it as have to refit clamps too but one may be unusable; the same one discontinued by citroen..joy. But yes as per edit chris helped me fit/is on. and citronut correct about other pipe bend (was only light/almost invisible but just enough!!).

Have replaced front spheres and will order accum and rear (all 3) tomorrow. Have already cleaned and refitted tank/filters. With £land white spirit no less, so every expense spared!! :-D

Also need to have a look at rear height corrector. Can get a new BX rear one..but have been told I'd need to change the connections round. But no idea how to.. Paul says not a big job though and should be able to use ones off old unit.

If anyone can give me clear instructions on how to convert a bx rear corrector to xantia/swap pipe connectors (my understanding is that pipe connectors are all thats required). I'd be very grateful.

Things to do
-change rear spheres,
-look at rear height corrector, either change it, rebuild, or fit modified bx one.
-bodge washer pipe. Have bought some 6mm internal diameter silicone pipe which is a damn good fit. would recommend to avoid taking front wing/n/s apart. Seems the bit near bonnet gets weakened.
Pick up plates from national.

Book in at garage then.. hopefully at chevrons?

will keep it updated then if you are actually reading this..will put photos of car too with fresh looking bumpers!!

thanks

Phil

RIP Citronut (still weird seeing his post above , so recent..)