C5 Tyre pressure sensors

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: C5 Tyre pressure sensors

Post by Stickyfinger »

3 BAR for high load, Totally correct....that's me getting my conversions mixed up...my bad...sry
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Don't think the OP says what C5 he has, but just to dispel a few mistaken posts.
The New Shape X7 has tyre pressure sensors and they are wheel specific. You cannot rotate the wheels as the low pressure warning tells you which tyre is low. Next, the sensor valves on my car look different from my old C5 with no sensors, so maybe an MOT tester would know by the type of valve fitted?
Most importantly though if you have sensors fitted and disabled via Lexia, you're in clover as long as you don't get involved in an accident where your tyres are checked (quite normal). if your pressures are low, it obviously changes handling and you could find yourself uninsured.
I had new sensors fitted by Citroen F.O.C. when two of them kept flashing up a low pressure warning, even though my car was well out of Manufacturers warranty so it's worth asking. They obviously know there was a problem.
I suspect the tyre fitter is at fault, as it's not actually the sensor that leaks.
If you get new ones fitted, make sure the valves are kept clean and given a light coat of silicon grease after washing, to prevent salt corrosion.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

This is gonna soud dumb vut I always wondered re the pressures. My c5 says 2.3 normal and 2.7 loaded but I always wondered is it 2.7 if it is going to be loaded or 2.7 while loaded?
C'est pas possible!
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

While loaded. Probably wrong, but mine stay the same,loaded or not. Two massive suitcases, loads of bags,coats,shoes,food and wine. 22+ stone of passengers. Is that loaded?
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

One day, I will conquer this Android tablet, and stop double posting, but not yet.
Rick.

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

boristhespie wrote:This is gonna soud dumb vut I always wondered re the pressures. My c5 says 2.3 normal and 2.7 loaded but I always wondered is it 2.7 if it is going to be loaded or 2.7 while loaded?
Tyre pressures are always taken @cold, unloaded.

I carry Cast Iron Radiators over distance in my C5, a lot of them :), I max it load wise all the time, I carry a small cheap 12volt compressor and digi pressure reader (never trust the cheap ones or those at a petrol station).
I will increase the pressures before I load and DE-pressure after dropping off, I notice the difference if I don't do this ...
qprdude wrote:One day, I will conquer this Android tablet, and stop double posting, but not yet.
best of luck
qprdude wrote:One day, I will conquer this Android tablet, and stop double posting, but not yet.
best of luck
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Had a disaster before long trip couple days ago. The garage swapped my new spare across to a balding wheel. The bloke talked about the s**t sensors and how they corrode.

Before going home I decided to blow up the rest if the tyres and on the last one when i pulled the pump off the valve split in half. I managed to drive up to the house with a .loud hiss but the tyre quickly went flat.

The garage guy offered to come in on Saturday early to replace with normal valve and when i got there at 8:30 am he said he would do them all as they all looked corroded and they were liable to blow. He did this but now I have the "tyre pressure is not being monitored" followed and hour or so later with "you have a puncture" and the STOP light on. Pain in arse but livable for now. Thibg is one of the plastic rings on the sensors which hold the valve broke although it may still hold while the other valves broke or are corroded badly.

Can you confirm is they are particular to a particular wheel and place in the car as we were in such a rush that
We never took note of where each came off of
C'est pas possible!
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

The X7C5 has tyre specific monitors. Can't remember which car you have. I think you need to have them mated to the car via lexia, but if the new ones (expensive), are Citroen original, they might be "found" by the ECU after a while. I think you can disable the sensors via lexia too, but there was some word of the MOT requiring original equipment to work. If you have changed them and disabled the errors who's to know.
Rick.

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

When I had different wheels on the c4 the warning did not activate for about 1/2 hr and went off again after seconds. It passed mot like that and with the headlamp washers not working.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
blizzard
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive

Post by blizzard »

Hello again ladies and gentlemans !
After I've sort out my rear suspension ( I have a topic dedicated to this ) ... my mechanic sent me to psychiatrist :-D ... now I've got another problem: tyre ressure sensors ... all 4 of them! The story is short: after I bought the car I realised that all 4 sensors are missing. Obviously a warning message an the dash : Tyre pressure sensors not monitored!
I bought 4 new sensor : Brand: Continental. I guess they are made for LandRover and Jaguar but the seller assured me they will fit Citroen C5. I've got them fitted, working (have been checked with an digital exciter) BUT my car can't see them being fitted on it. I've tried to relearn the system with the new sensors codes but still no joy so far. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanx
"I know I'm stupid but, when I look around me I get very optimistic ..."
《 Ion Creanga - Romanian writer 》
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Do they need enabling . Maybe need a Lexia/ Diagbox session for that.
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

New (X7) C5 monitors are wheel specific. I think the TPS ECU is in the boot (RHS) Older cars had a sender under each wheel arch I believe.
I'm thinking that eventually there will be a method of checking whether standard systems have been switched off as it is becoming far too regular a practice.
Removal of DPF etc .
That said, did the OP use National Tyres? I got the same reply when my new tyres started losing pressure. "We checked took both wheels off and your pressure monitors are corroded mate"
Bollocks, I said, they are only a year old. I'm firmly with the "disturbed seal" explanation. Maybe you should take the car back to the tyre fitters and ask to see the "corroded" monitors?. I suspect my lot have a stock reply to all pressure monitor leaks. Citroen monitors did have a problem, as I had new ones fitted under warranty . Unfortunately the age of the car isn't mentioned so it's difficult to say whether the monitors have reached the end of their life. They used to have a 5-6 year battery life at one point, which would mean a fault could pop up, but an accurate pressure check would surely tell if the sensor is genuinely reading low pressure, or just dying a natural death
By the way, I have heard some real horror stories about using repair kits, most of them reporting a wasted £25.
Rick.

blizzard
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive

Post by blizzard »

Thanx for reply mate.
The sensors were fitted couple of days ago and my mechanic tried to write the new sensors codes into the system but still no joy.
The sensors are these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Citroen-C4 ... SwvUlWqhIE

Thanx
"I know I'm stupid but, when I look around me I get very optimistic ..."
《 Ion Creanga - Romanian writer 》
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

The only sensors brand that currently work (can't say some manufacturer won't make compatible OEMs) for the C5 X7 TPMS are the VDOs (some hidden trickery which makes them the only models that can actually be paired and recognized to the car's TPMS) ... a single unit costs roughly 50-60 GBP ... you do the math why yours aren't working ... :D
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I concur. I had a good look around for replacements before Citroen offer OEM ones FOC.
Rick.