C5 Tyre pressure sensors

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fosseym

C5 Tyre pressure sensors

Post by fosseym »

Hi All, hope someone can help me with an annoying problem !

Recently had new front tyres after the previous set wouldn't hold pressure and wore badly on the shoulders. After a week the sensors told me they were losing pressure, on checking one had lost 0.4 bar, the other 0.1. Went back to fitting centre who said the tyre valves were leaking due to the sensors fitted. Options were to remove the sensors which would leave a fault code on the dash (not desirable) or fit new sensors (£80 each !!!!)

any ideas for a cheaper solution or is it possible to stop the fault code appearing on the on board computer if I have the sensors removed ?

Love my C5, wish it was quicker off the mark though

(C5 2.0 HDI, previously had C2's, Xantia, Xsara, wife has No 1 of the C2 Loeb specials !)
Clogzz
My Cars:

Re: C5 Tyre pressure sensors

Post by Clogzz »

Throw the sensors away and get a Lexia man to turn that thing off. :evil:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Post by Estately »

The base of the tyre valve has a rubber seal where it fits into the inside of the rim and from memory I think that the sensor is fitted to the same place. If the valve and sensor have been disturbed when fitting a new tyre ideally a new seal would need to be fitted after cleaning proir to location.

If the sensor did not leak before the tyre fitter did his work I would think the seal, the cost of which is small, needs to be carefully relaced - it's just a small rubber ring and they should carry the correct size. Don't throw away an £80 sensor for the sake of a 0.5p seal.

The tyre pressure sensor is a very valuable accessory and will prevent the destruction of a tyre if punctured - or worse.

Good luck.
If it can happen it will.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, as Addo says you can disable the sensors through a Lexia and then you can just get normal valves put into the wheels.

As you say the old tyres would not hold pressure its likely that it was due to the valves too. Usually corrosion sets in around where they contact the wheel. However I have had a good few leak through the valves themselves.

You could try getting new or scond hand sensors, though they do seem pretty problematic and are they really worth it? Regular tyre check should prevent from driving with a soft tyre and people really should know when they have a total flat and avoid driving on it.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

.... pretty problematic and are they really worth it?
Are they compulsory if it's run-flat tyres?
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Norlander wrote:
.... pretty problematic and are they really worth it?
Are they compulsory of it's run-flat tyres?
Yes, they certainly are, good point.

However I dont think any C5s have run-flats, maybe some of the germanic ones, I hope not.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
The Birdman
My Cars:

Post by The Birdman »

New MOT next year says if your car has tyre pressure monitor it has to work or it will fail , either replace them or turn them off but get rid of any warning on the dash.
For what we are about to receive may we be truly thank full.

http://www.citroencodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.peugeotcodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

If you go the replacement route go to the link below, i used them for my Laguna's TPMS sensors and they work out at less than half Citroen's prices for the exact same part!

http://www.tyresensors.com/product/34/S ... art-Number
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
woodywoodpecker

Post by woodywoodpecker »

fosseym wrote:Hi All, hope someone can help me with an annoying problem !

Recently had new front tyres after the previous set wouldn't hold pressure and wore badly on the shoulders. After a week the sensors told me they were losing pressure, on checking one had lost 0.4 bar, the other 0.1. Went back to fitting centre who said the tyre valves were leaking due to the sensors fitted. Options were to remove the sensors which would leave a fault code on the dash (not desirable) or fit new sensors (£80 each !!!!)

any ideas for a cheaper solution or is it possible to stop the fault code appearing on the on board computer if I have the sensors removed ?

Love my C5, wish it was quicker off the mark though

(C5 2.0 HDI, previously had C2's, Xantia, Xsara, wife has No 1 of the C2 Loeb specials !)
Hi mate where are you located ? its a 10min job to turn them off with lexia i did mine after finding out the stupid price of a new sensor, I had normal valves put in the wheels and turned them off with my lexia. Let me know where you are.
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

Having the same problem with a sensor/valve on my wifes Laguna II , called at the stealers after work today and got a price of around £30 for the sensor plus another £60 for programming , are they taking the p**s or what , looks like normsl valves will be getting fitted.

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

As has been said it is easy to disable them with a Lexia, refitting them or new ones is a different story, plus the Lexia you need a bit of kit to excite the sensors so that the system know's which sensor is where, on early C5's you might get away with just jacking the car on each corner in turn and spinning the wheel, but then on the earlier ones the sensors have their own battery which will be well past their sell by date.
Later ones work on the RFID principle and the Exciter test gear would be essential, unless anyone knows different, but then the later ones are made of crap and apparently have a habit of corroding and breaking off letting all the air out quite quickly :-(

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
obaran

Post by obaran »

Hi this repair kit might be your and my answer as i will try them to save mine`s, i had 3 sensors exactly has the same trouble as you have,
I hope it helps.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Tyre- ... 3f116accb7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Baran
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

Thanks for the link. I did this. I got a repair kit for a single valve.
Trouble was though that the valve was so badly corroded that it just couldn't be taken off.
It seems to be held onto the sensor body by a single small screw. This screw is easily stripped on the head with a screwdriver so that's problem 1.
Problem 2 is that the valve stem is usually corroded onto the sensor body thus making it unlikely it can be removed without damaging the sensor body.
I fell foul of both problems on this. The application of loads of penetrating fluid didn't help and in the end only had the option of trying a bit of force which resulted in breaking the sensor body.
So, for what it's worth, the whole thing has cost me the £25 for the repair valve which is now spare.
If you want to give this a go then just get in touch and I'll let you have it for £15.

Off to the Lexia man............
Bob1954

Post by Bob1954 »

The Birdman wrote:New MOT next year says if your car has tyre pressure monitor it has to work or it will fail , either replace them or turn them off but get rid of any warning on the dash.
And just how are the MOT guys to know? Are they going to puncture a tyre to see if it works? Sorry if that is being a bit cheeky, but will it not be a case of checking if alarms are being registered including those sensors?
Perhaps someone could confirm that each wheel is paired to a specific sensor at each corner....

I had mine dialled out as they proved unreliable in arctic conditions, and it is not funny getting out of a warm car to confirm that the tyres are all ok after all, and continue with the warnings.
This allowed me to switch wheels as in the old days....
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Bob1954 wrote:
The Birdman wrote:New MOT next year says if your car has tyre pressure monitor it has to work or it will fail , either replace them or turn them off but get rid of any warning on the dash.
And just how are the MOT guys to know? Are they going to puncture a tyre to see if it works? Sorry if that is being a bit cheeky, but will it not be a case of checking if alarms are being registered including those sensors?
Perhaps someone could confirm that each wheel is paired to a specific sensor at each corner....

I had mine dialled out as they proved unreliable in arctic conditions, and it is not funny getting out of a warm car to confirm that the tyres are all ok after all, and continue with the warnings.
This allowed me to switch wheels as in the old days....
MOT testers will know there's an issue because you get a warning light/message on the dash. Its not a case of deflating the tyre to see if the sensor works, any warning will be an automatic fail, Renaults are wheel specific dunno about Citroens.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink: