Xantia HDI power steering rack leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Doesn't the V6 have an integral ram type rack?
Nope,

Same rack. It is different in that the pump has an outboard pressure regulator...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xant_II
My Cars: Xantia II Exclusive 2.0i Auto Estate '99
wish I still had:
BX19TZi '91
Renault 5 '80
Renault 4 '78
Dyane '75

Xantia II steering-rack return leak

Post by Xant_II »

Hi, I've just sprung nasty LHM leak from the steering rack return pipe, just where it changes from the metal pipe to the rubber, thought it might just be the pipe clip at first but looks like it's a split in the pipe very close to the clip - judging from previous post this seems to be a popular place for this to go! As we all know access is pretty awful down there and just wondered if anyone has any tips on how best to fix this - is there enough pipe length for example to simply cut end off and pull a bit through, or is complete pipe replacement back to the LHM reservoir the only option - I guess it will be necessary to undo and free the metal pipe section in order to get enough purchase on the pipe to push new rubber pipe over. Any tips very much appreciated, new pipe ID for example? Many thanks Charles
Xant_II
My Cars: Xantia II Exclusive 2.0i Auto Estate '99
wish I still had:
BX19TZi '91
Renault 5 '80
Renault 4 '78
Dyane '75

Re: Xantia HDI power steering rack leak

Post by Xant_II »

Hi, ..got away with cutting it back a good bit, then joining on a new piece of 8mm ID tubing using a standard 8mm pipe connector. So she's on the road, vital fluids replenished, but a little worrying as this is the second 'octopus' type return pipework to split on me, and with spare parts nye on impossible now? Any thoughts much appreciated. Cheers, Charles
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Xantia HDI power steering rack leak

Post by white exec »

At least all the returns are low pressure, so any sound repair will do the job. Same issue on XM occasionally, when the rubber elbows and joiners for the 3.5mm OD plastic return pipes join on to metal pipes. As you say, accessibility is the issue, rather than how to repair.
Chris