Xantia HDI power steering rack leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Xantia HDI power steering rack leak

Post by HDI »

During a routine inspection yesterday I noticed a fluid leak on the power steering rack had become noticeably worse.
It was more of a heavy mist 6 months ago but is now wet with LHM at the nearside.
Has anyone replaced the seals on this and if so how easy is it to find the parts and how difficult to do ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Whereabouts exactly is the leak coming from HDI?

The ram can leak and if it does then it's a new ram if the ram seals themselves have failed. A ram leak will be indicated by the plastic bag that protects the ram piston being wet with LHM. On the end of the ram is a leakage return collar which is not normally replaceable but an XM one (of the sort I use for Activa Ram repairs) will fit.

Another favorite place for a leak is in the pinion return line where it changes from a metal pipe to a rubber hose. The rubber hose can split on the joint or on the corner where it turns sharply upwards on its way to the LHM reservoir.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Yup, it's the plastic bag section !
Surely the seals must be replaceable ?
Last edited by HDI on 31 Oct 2010, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If it is the ram proper that's leaking then I believe it's goodnight Vienna but do check the leakage return collar, as indicated by the red arrow in the picture below:

If that one is perished or split then it can be replacved using the XM component under part no. 95 640 212.

If it is the collar that's failed there will be relatively little LHM in the plastic bag. However, if the plastic bag is full then sadly it is the ram itself that's gone, most likely due to a scored/damaged piston rod.

It may be worth a chat with Pleiades to determine the repairability of a ram.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Many thanks for that Jim, most helpful :)

Looking at that pic it could be the leak return collar, fingers crossed !
I'll be able to check for certain on Tuesday when I can get the car back on the ramp.
Do you know if the ram can be replaced with the rack in situ ? Just in case it is the ram !
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

HDI wrote: Do you know if the ram can be replaced with the rack in situ ? Just in case it is the ram !
I can't say for sure but I reckon it can. I once swapped a 405 ram in-situ without much difficulty and the overall setup is pretty much identical. It's be a bit fiddly...

You may need to make up a custom flare-nut spanner for the hydraulic unions as space might be a bit tight to swing a full-length one. On the 405 I needed to chop one in half...

Fingers crossed it's the collar that's bid a fond farewell and not the ram itself...
Jim

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

I'm not saying it can't be done, but when I had a similar problem, after some time stuggling to get the ram off with the rack in the car I gave up and took whole rack off. If I'd had the car up in the air it might have been easier rather than just up on axle stands.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Not sure about UK cars, but ours have a heatshrink sleeve over the pinion valve return rubber line.

Inside the sleeve, the original hose splits as it pleases, causing leaks around the area spotted by our OP. Replacing the whole return hose is an absolute monster!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Replacing the whole return hose is an absolute monster!
You're very restrained in your language there Adam :lol: Indeed it is a complete ******** of a job :evil:
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

What I and others need, isn't (AFAIK) specifically sold.

For the Xantia return "trees" I need like a plug cutter to clean the last bits of old hose from the factory pressed-together union. In the past, using a small right angled die-grinder with drill chuck and shortened 1mm bit (a little like dentistry!) has worked.

But I reckon on wimping out, and making new trees from metal with bubble flared ends and using hose clamps...

Or we go to one of the "made to order" plastic places in Thailand or Vietnam, and get new unions moulded off some originals (and what about heater hose elbows while we're at it?).

A leakback fitting and new strap for my nearside strut is three days away, and just over £47. Some things about Australia are less good!
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

HDI,
HDI wrote:Yup, it's the plastic bag section !
Surely the seals must be replaceable ?
I have a couple of spare rams in the garage.

The only question is are they same ram between 1.9TD and HDi :?:

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Same ram I suspect. It was an HDi ram I replaced and the spares I had, one of which I used were off a 1998 2.1TD and an unknown Series 1 car - not sure which I used but they all looked the same.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

I also think they are the same, could anyone confirm please ?
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There appears to be two types:

4011 47 for V6 / 2.0T / 2.1TD / HDi 110 (£270)
4005 A2 for everything else (£230)
Richard W
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Doesn't the V6 have an integral ram type rack?