LHD mirror vs RHD mirror

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

sonoramicommando
My Cars: 1991 Citroen XM 2.0 carb manual

LHD mirror vs RHD mirror

Post by sonoramicommando »

Are the mirrors the same for LHD cars and RHD?
My car (RHD GSA Pallas sedan) didn't come with the passenger side mirror - but breaks came with mirrors on both sides looking at brochures etc?
The driver's side has remote control (manual) - is the passenger's side same as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: LHD mirror vs RHD mirror

Post by xantia_v6 »

Don't know about the GSA, but passengers and drivers mirrors are sometimes different. They are sometimes mounted slightly fore and aft of each other to avoid the post between the window glass and quarter light getting into the field of view, they often have different curvature of the glass due to the different distance from the driver's eye.

Check at least the first point before drilling a hole in your door.
Stonehopper
My Cars: 1975 GS Pallas
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale
1960 2cv AZL (Belgian built)

Post by Stonehopper »

Done a bit of this. My LHD GS Pallas had drivers door mirror only, and the number of marks down the side of the passenger door side bore witness to the need for a passenger door mirror - contact with gate posts and such in the past. I obtained a door mirror to match the drivers, but later found that the passenger side really ought to have a longer arm - not by much, but enough to keep it away from the glass sufficiently to get just the right amount for the mirror to be in clear view of the drivers eye line without the A pillar intruding (which it does as can be seen in this shot).

I was also 'reliably' informed that behind the outer door skin was a welded on nut ready to take a mirror should one be desired. All that would be required was to use the drivers door as a datum point to drill a pilot hole and establish the correct location of the nut. Oh dear me - no there wasn't. No internal nut at all. For a while this left me with a precariously wobbly mirror screwed into the door skin until I was able to concoct a custom made bracket within that would securely hold the mirror.

Whether RHD or UK market models and GSA's are different - I don't know, I suspect they may be, but best get the door trim off first and take a good look inside to discover what lay beneath that door skin. It's a sod of a place to get a loose fitting nut on as there is a support channel that impedes access.

PS - And as Xantia states - you will need a convex glass for the mirror.
Derek
sandybx
My Cars: Ctroen,s SAAB, s Vauxhall,s.

Post by sandybx »

GSA door mirrors should be matt black if I am not mistaken :?:
1992 Citroen BX TX i 1.6 auto with air con in White with 47,000 miles.
1988 SAAB classic 900 i with 3 spoke Ronals in rose quartz with 69,000 miles.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That's a GS though.
Mine were definitely s/s
sandybx

Post by sandybx »

I was going on pics of Andys GSA and other photos, Plus the original thread starter and the pictures of his own metallic coloured GSA with black door mirrors.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You are correct - I was just going on the pic of the GS above. :oops:
sonoramicommando

Stonehopper wrote:Done a bit of this. My LHD GS Pallas had drivers door mirror only, and the number of marks down the side of the passenger door side bore witness to the need for a passenger door mirror - contact with gate posts and such in the past. I obtained a door mirror to match the drivers, but later found that the passenger side really ought to have a longer arm - not by much, but enough to keep it away from the glass sufficiently to get just the right amount for the mirror to be in clear view of the drivers eye line without the A pillar intruding (which it does as can be seen in this shot).

I was also 'reliably' informed that behind the outer door skin was a welded on nut ready to take a mirror should one be desired. All that would be required was to use the drivers door as a datum point to drill a pilot hole and establish the correct location of the nut. Oh dear me - no there wasn't. No internal nut at all. For a while this left me with a precariously wobbly mirror screwed into the door skin until I was able to concoct a custom made bracket within that would securely hold the mirror.

Whether RHD or UK market models and GSA's are different - I don't know, I suspect they may be, but best get the door trim off first and take a good look inside to discover what lay beneath that door skin. It's a sod of a place to get a loose fitting nut on as there is a support channel that impedes access.

PS - And as Xantia states - you will need a convex glass for the mirror.
so... you actually got the correct LHD passenger side mirror (longer arm) then?
I'm guessing GS mirrors don't have remote control (obviously).
My best bet would be getting a whole door from RHD break. It has some rust at the sill anyway :p
Can anyone confirm if GSA break came with passenger side mirror stock standard and if it has remote control?
PS I was reading the Citroen GSA technical description literature and it seems to imply one is required to have both mirrors installed by (French?) law when GSA hatchback cargo space is fully loaded (i.e. rear seats folded and packed to the roof). That would explain break & van came with both mirrors standard (according to brochures)
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
Stonehopper
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale

Post by Stonehopper »

Longer arm? No. Can't find one.

Both mirrors are same length arm. The problem is seen here:

Drivers door (LHD) flat glass:

Passenger door convex glass:

A longer arm would allow the mirror to be in full view without the A pillar intruding. As it is, the mirror just clears the glass.

Looking at Citroenet, the first page for GS/GSA shows Berlines with one mirror, and breaks with two.
http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenger-c ... index.html
Derek
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I was at the local classic car show today, and managed to see a couple of GSAs with twin mirrors:

This one has the rectangular mounts and the mirror bodies seem to be symmetrical, so a LHD drivers mirror should fit as a RHD passenger mirror, but you would need to fit a flat pice of glass.

This one (a commercial version) has the round mirror mounts, and is decidedly assymetrical. Good luck if you need one of those.

sonoramicommando

Stonehopper wrote:...
Looking at Citroenet, the first page for GS/GSA shows Berlines with one mirror, and breaks with two.
http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenger-c ... index.html
It looks like the passenger side mirror on the GS break on far right is at a rather different angle, steeper - I don't know if that would help situation or not.
As for provision for passenger side mirror, I guess it is a lot crucial to get it right for GS, as the attachment surface area is a lot less to spread the load.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
sonoramicommando

xantia_v6 wrote:...This one has the rectangular mounts and the mirror bodies seem to be symmetrical, so a LHD drivers mirror should fit as a RHD passenger mirror, but you would need to fit a flat pice of glass....
Don't you mean I would need to replace the LHD driver side flat glass with a custom convex (or RHD passenger side - if they came convex)?
xantia_v6 wrote:...This one (a commercial version) has the round mirror mounts, and is decidedly assymetrical. Good luck if you need one of those....
That's absolutely hideous!
Last edited by sonoramicommando on 25 Apr 2016, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
Stonehopper
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale

Post by Stonehopper »

I wonder if that right hand mirror on the French service van didn't come from something completely different. Seem to recall Leyland Sherpas had something like that - at least, the later ones.
Derek
sandybx

Post by sandybx »

Dear Sonor,
Just been on " Franzoesische - Klassiker " de online gsa parts section, and they are showing your type of gsa door mirror in stock. 79.25 euros for the rear o/s door mirror ( with internally adjusted cable type ) and 69.00 euros for the rear right door mirror ( with the internally adjusted cable type )
You might have to check for their " suitability " for your car and model etc etc.
I hope this helps :wink:
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

You could have a new angle milled off the base, that could rotate it down and should clear the pillar.
Do both to keep the angles matching
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting