GS 1300 Lumpy idle and running any ideas please.

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

Stonehopper
My Cars: 1975 GS Pallas
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale
1960 2cv AZL (Belgian built)

Re: GS 1300 Lumpy idle and running any ideas please.

Post by Stonehopper »

The infamous cassette sets on the SEV Marchal dizzy I find a little easier than the Ducellier. With a suitable hole drilled into the side of the dizzy, an allen key can be inserted to adjust the points using a dwell meter. The allen key turns an adjusting screw which is not locked, but held by friction spring on the adjusters serrated circumference. Dob of blue tack or cork will keep the elements out if needed.
Derek
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:Back in the day I never relished the task of points adjustment and in the GS I'd relish it even less!
Never a fun job on a GS but one that seemed to need doing frequently.
2cy
My Cars: 1974 Citroen-Cimos Ami Super Berline Luxe

Post by 2cy »

.."seemed to need doing frequently " : et se delinquent frog-eyed DEMON :twisted:
macplaxton
My Cars: 1978 GS X2

Post by macplaxton »

Stonehopper wrote:I find a little easier than the Ducellier. With a suitable hole drilled into the side of the dizzy, an allen key can be inserted to adjust the points using a dwell meter.
I find it harder...

You see I had a SEV to start with, and started with no hole. That's great! So I drilled a hole.
Distributor modification 1 by macplaxton, on Flickr
Distributor modification 4 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Slid an allen key in...

Distributor modification 3 by macplaxton, on Flickr
Distributor modification 2 by macplaxton, on Flickr

All okay to that point. Then I found two problems :grr: :grr:

First the cap clip on that side gets in the way of the hole a bit. Then the inner wing gets in the way a bit too. Add to that a new cassette that lasted a grand total of 1706 miles and broke the day my eldest was born.

So currently the car runs a Ducellier.
Stonehopper
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale

Post by Stonehopper »

A suitably shortened allen key should do the trick, and yes the clip is in the way, but switching the engine off then making an adjustment, then clipping back and restarting - and all without removing the distributor cap - must be easier?

I've just ordered (£££gulp!) a Lumenition electronic set for the Marchal. Hasn't arrived yet, and I have a few other issues to deal with like getting the Skoda through an MOT, but I'll post progress as and when.

PS

What broke on the cassette? I had a new one that wore the fibre heel down so fast it closed the gap completely during the first sixty miles or so (failed on the driveway as it happened - thank heavens!) Reset, and it's been fine ever since.
Derek
2cy
My Cars: 1974 Citroen-Cimos Ami Super Berline Luxe

Post by 2cy »

"I see that Lumenition list a kit for the GS with Marchal distributor, but not Ducellier, although they have kits for other Ducellier models which maybe could be adapted."

On Friday I spoke to Cameron @ Lumenition re. optical ignition for the GS 1015 / G10. Yes, the SEV Marchall is much easier, as Lumenition's fitting kit (optical trigger unit) has been made to simply swap out that dissy's cassette ...but they also have a adapter for the Ducellier. However it's expensive. The electronic kit PMA50 is the same for both @ £165, whereas the fitting kit for the Ducellier is £74 verses just £16.25 for the Marchall. The kit for the Ducellier expense is both because it's so low volume and because they have had to make a new distributor base plate. It does mean that the base-plate-with-points is removed / replaced as a lump, and so is easy enough to carry in case of optics failure. But totalling £239+ I've decided not to go that route.

I have not enquired as to 123 Ignitions as I've heard various reports which lead me to question their quality control. It seems that their systems either works very well for years ..or can be persistently troublesome within days. And as I can't be arsed with unreliable.., I called Bransden Boyer. I've been happy with their motorcycle ignition before, and in fact still have their electronic / optical system on my Norton Commando. Their technicians were good enough to check the system over (for very little money) when I first bought this bike, and so I'm happy to use them on a car.

So, after due consideration... of living with the distributor's access issues (particularly with the Ducellier's outer bearing).., I've just invested £35+ in a Bransden Boyer ignition unit. This still retains the points - but reduces the power across the contacts to mA's. Thereafter the electronics accurately monitor and control the power to the coil. Bottom-line being that apart from wear on the heel, there's no wear on the contacts - so that they stay set, and rarely need replacing again. New Valeo points will be fitted.

NB. This car's standard coil has a 1.3 ohm primary resistance, and so Bransden are sending me (for just a couple £-quid) an appropriate 1 ohm resistor. This'll raise the resistance to be within their unit's 2 to 4 ohm criteria. It's simply fitted in-line between their unit and the coil.

I'd preferred an optical trigger unit.., but not so much as to warrant a £200+ (almost seven times) difference in price !

Conversely, with no changes inside the distributor, and their unit placed in series between the distributor the coil... it'll be very quick n' easy to bypass the Bransden (perhaps for diagnostics, in the event of problems, or a totally flat battery ) and revert back to the standard set-up. In practice it'll not be needed very often, but I sorta like the idea of having the option :-)

I'll let you know in due course how I get on.

p.s. what size allen key for the Ducellier ? ..looks to be a long 4mm ?
macplaxton
My Cars: 1978 GS X2

Post by macplaxton »

@Stonehopper
Later investingation showed that the points had jammed open somehow http://www.citroencarclub.org.uk/drupal ... hp?p=37252

@2cy
a) It's a S.E.V. that uses an allen key.
b) As per photograph description, it's a 3mm key
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Derek,
The carb is definitely a webber.
I know its only a 2 cylinder but my 2cv 123 ignition setup has been nothing but reliable
ever since I fitted the Harley Davidson coil pack and carbon plug leads
the original coil pack suffered with over heating badly because of its mounting position tucked
under the bonet lid.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Stonehopper
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale

Post by Stonehopper »

A Weber, OK. Webers are good. Some would say easier to set up than the Solex, but I wonder if there is much difference really.

Odd about 2cv coils. In over thirty five years of owning and running A series, I have never had a coil fail. I do have a few spares which have come my way over time, but the Harley coil seems to be a good choice if changing. The original 2cv coils are oil filled. If the oil escapes, then its cooling medium is compromised, though this would be noticeable upon inspection.
Lots more HERE:
http://www.2cvgb.co.uk/forum/showthread ... ight=coils

Still haven't got round to installing my stupidly expensive electronic set up. Old bones and outdoor fettling does put one off if the weather is anything but just so . . .
Derek