Citromobile 2019

A place to discuss any upcoming meets, club rallies and general get togethers.

Moderator: RichardW

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Citromobile 2019

Post by van ordinaire »

Yes, I know it's a little way off yet but just got an e-flyer from DirectFerries offering cheap crossings to Holland - & it got me thinking.

Anyone know the dates, I'm assuming the 11th & 12th May?

Someone suggested that, rather than driving up from Calais or Dover, crossing to The Hook's a better bet BUT when I tried to get a quote, there are only ferries from Newcastle now - anyone know anything different?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Re: Citromobile 2019

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

I've done Harwich - Hook of Holland a number of times, albeit not for a number of years.

I used to calculate that based on 50mpg, the extra cost of a day crossing (it was about £85 each way back then) over Dover Calais evened out against the extra fuel, and less mileage abroad means less chance of a potentially catastrophic Breakdown.

Lovely boats, there's an old video on Youtube, pair of them, cost something like £500 million each about 10 years ago. We also slept on one crossing, very nice it was too.

Less than an hour's drive to Amsterdam and the Beach there is lovely. Harwich is a bit closer than Dover for me, too.

Prices look pretty reasonable too, I picked a random date mid-week in March, returning a week later. . See pic.

Sure I can dig up a number of pix if of interest including of handy places to stop overnight prior if you want.
Attachments
Ferries.JPG
Puxa
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Re: Citromobile 2019

Post by van ordinaire »

Thanks for that, it must be that May is too far ahead for Direct Ferries (had the same issue booking for Dover - Dunkerque/Calais in January, they could only quote for P&O and le Shuttle, whereas DFDS's own site has prices for the dates I wanted).

As I can only reckon on 40 mpg, + Harwich is a bit further for me, it's time, rather than cost, that'll be the deciding factor. As it is, I would have to come back via Dover because of sailing times & the length of the crossing. Then there's the boredom factor: 2 hours is already too long to waste on a ferry! Still. It is food for thought, so once the dates are confirmed, I will do some arithmetic, as that overnight outward crossing has some appeal - assuming it's available at weekends.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o