Citroen 25 DTR Turbo diesel pump settings?

An area for all matters concerning the Citroen CX.

Moderator: RichardW

MeInKiev

Citroen 25 DTR Turbo diesel pump settings?

Post by MeInKiev » 30 Sep 2015, 02:26

I wonder if anyone has any info on the correct settings on the fuel pump of a Citroen 25 DTR Turbo (1985 Series I)?
My diesel mechanics reconditioned the pump and injectors, but were not sure of the settings. It took them several goes to successfully time it, but this seems to be working well now. it has plenty of power but people travelling behind me continually tell me it has a strong diesel smell and is sometimes smoky (black).
Can anyone point me to a settings source? I have a small workshop manual (half car manual size) but we couldn't find any settings in it?
In lieu of a proper settings guide, do we just experiment, and if so how lean do we go?
Shane

lexi
donor 2017
My Cars:

Re: Citroen 25 DTR Turbo diesel pump settings?

Post by lexi » 02 Oct 2015, 22:23

I think the same engine is in the Talbot campervans. It may be an avenue to search blogs and stuff for additional info if nothing turns up here,
Citroen C5 HDI 110 Mk 1 hatchback

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:
Peugeot 406 LX Hdi estate, 01, blue
Peugeot 406 GLX Hdi estate, 01, blue

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. » 02 Oct 2015, 23:24

With this age of engine the pump timing is best set by ear and trial and error. If it starts and runs OK you have it about right. If its over advanced it will knock more, if retarded it will be more difficult to start and quieter and possibly smoke. It could be of course that the mechanic has increased the pump delivery which will make it smoke, it will also make it go better.

Peter

MeInKiev

Post by MeInKiev » 07 Oct 2015, 00:21

Thanks Lexi and Peter.
when they first set the timing a year ago, it was very lacking in power. Then they increased the fuel supply (just one increment on the pump setting). When this didn't help they re-timed it and got that right because it went like the powers. I think I will ask them to adjust the fuel supply back to what it was or one lower and see how it performs then. Hopefully that will fix it.
Thanks for your help.
Shane

MeInKiev

Post by MeInKiev » 10 Oct 2015, 06:01

I took it back to the diesel shop and a new mechanic who had lived in France most of his life and worked on CX diesels in his younger days was glad to work on it and adjusted the fuel setting down and then set the timing again, and it is now going like a dream. It has at least as much power as before and does not smoke or smell diesely. Thanks again.
Shane

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:
Peugeot 406 LX Hdi estate, 01, blue
Peugeot 406 GLX Hdi estate, 01, blue

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. » 10 Oct 2015, 10:36

Pleased you got it sorted. I had three diesel Safari's many years ago and must have done something like a quarter of a million miles in them, never driven car like it, before or since.

Peter