Can you Pump up CX suspension without the engine running?

An area for all matters concerning the Citroen CX.

Moderator: RichardW

Six-cylinder

Can you Pump up CX suspension without the engine running?

Post by Six-cylinder » 22 Sep 2013, 11:17

Following Patrick Ruggs call for all CXs to return to the road for next years 40th anniversary, some may remember I have a 1983 CX 2400 I/E Auto saloon, a couple of years ago I was having trouble starting it because sometimes you used to have to wiggle the wiring behind the n-s headlight to get it to start. One day it would not start and after much churning it spat back and caught fire. After the panic to get it out the damage was minimal with a bit of burning to the plug leads, which I have replaced with new ones and a scorched bonnet that was rusty anyway and I have a replacement.

The problem is I need to load it onto a trailer to take it somewhere to make it start and MOT it for me. The car is sat down in the slopping corner of a dirt floor barn with even rougher ground outside.

Is there a way to pump up the suspension using a say a battery drill so I can tow it out and load it onto a trailer?

Chris

After the fire showing minimum damage.

Citroening

Re: Can you Pump up CX suspension without the engine running

Post by Citroening » 22 Sep 2013, 11:52

Good to hear progress with the CX, Chris!
Six-cylinder wrote:Is there a way to pump up the suspension using a say a battery drill so I can tow it out and load it onto a trailer?
I have heard this method before but I've not seen it in action or done it myself so can't comment unfortunately...

Whatever we do when there's a "dead" CX to go on a trailer/transport is use planks for wood. It helps if the trailer that you're using is one that isn't too steep and the ramps aren't too short. The longer the ramp and the gentler the slope the better!

It's not impossible to load a dead flat CX - the key is to ensure that the wheels are constantly running on the wooden planks as to raise the car just that bit higher...

When it's being winched up the trailer, ensure the wheels are constantly running on the wooden planks. Planks firstly can go at the start of the ramps (this will raise the nose up higher) but just before you get to the crest in the trailer wooden planks under the rear wheels will raise the back up enough so the longerons do not hit the bed.

Just a case of taking your time and usually it goes well. Also depends on what sort of trailer set-up it is...

You could chock the front and rear bump stops up but would involve jacking the car up - shouldn't need to do it though. Oh and ensure all tyres are full inflated - all makes a difference!

2smv627

Post by 2smv627 » 23 Sep 2013, 13:25

Hi, we have used a drill to turn the pump but it needs to be held really tight (once it starts pumping it is hard work) and probably need to be 240v rather than battery operated.
Easiest way, other than getting it running, is to chock the arms - normally we use old t/belt tensionners and brake pads lying about which work well or blocks of wood.
Shame we`re not a bit closer or I`d offer to give you a hand or see about getting it running.

fastandfurryous

Post by fastandfurryous » 21 Oct 2013, 11:04

Getting the car up to a sensible height with the engine not running is fairly easy. If you can get a jack under the car, jack it up and then put blocks in the bump-stop arms. The only one that is a little tight to get to is the driver side front one on a Douvrin engine'd car. The rears are especially easy to do.

Once it's on it's new "extended" bump stops, the car will be massively easier to move about.

I have managed to pump up a CX without the engine running, but it was remarkably hard work. The torque needed to turn the pump is more than you would expect. I used a knackered old 4.5" angle grinder, with a gearbox from a 9" grinder welded onto it (double reduction) with a pulley welded onto that. You then used any random belt you have to hand, and pull hard while running the grinder motor. I was only just strong enough to achieve enough tension in the belt to stop it slipping.

And after all that, the car sunk after an hour anyway...

citronut

Post by citronut » 22 Oct 2013, 20:40

the block wedged between the bump stops is a good one especially at the rears, the fronts if you jack the front up off the ground remove both front spheres place a length of the likes of a bit of broom stick into the cylinder, then screw the sphere back in place,

this will hold the front at that height at least till you need your broom stick back for Halloweens :twisted: #-o :-D :wink:

Six-cylinder

Post by Six-cylinder » 12 Nov 2013, 21:21

There is no electric in the barn so I guess I will have to go for jacking the car and adding new "bump stops". I should have done it sooner now the weather is turning to winter.

Chris