Honda/JLR/Ford/Nissan/Toyota/BMW/PSA et cetera

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Honda/JLR/Ford/Nissan et cetera

Post by myglaren »

It's too ugly to build here.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

M.Thatcher offered EEC Britain as a platform for companies to build and export their products tariff-free into Europe. Brexit tears up that long productive agreement, and the last two years have signalled to the EU that they should sign their own tariff-free agreement with Japan, which they have now done. The UK has thus lost much of its relevance to Japanese automobile production destined for Europe.

And trade minister Fox today claims the Swindon closure is a result of the decline in demand for diesel.
Diesel . . . Honda ?? . . . Hardly their mainstream product.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, quite, it’s nothing to do with the ‘B’ word, it’s all down to the Japanese / EU negotiated tariff reductions which are now zip, so no need to have manufacturing in EU countries. They can keep everything made in Japan, provide home jobs and probably reduce costs.

Too many cars being made, said it before.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

'B' word or no 'B' word, Honda are moving their production back to Japan as the EU have signed a trade deal with Japan and there is now no financial incentive to build cars in Europe. The 'B' word is of only minor/partial relevance. I'm sure any one of the European countries would jump at the chance of getting Honda to set up a new plant in their territory......... but Honda don't seem interested in any EU based manufacturing.

ALL car manufacturing is going to come under incredibly intense pressure in the coming years as there is oversupply and they need to dramatically cut costs as they start to realise they're just not going to be selling the numbers of cars they've become used to. The 'motoring' we've become used to doesn't have a long term future in its current form.

From the BBC article:
"In a tweet, Mr Tomlinson said: "Honda are clear this is based on global trends and not Brexit, as all European market production will consolidate in Japan in 2021."

The car industry has also been struggling with falling demand in China and a slowdown in diesel sales.

But according to Sky, Brexit is understood to be one factor in the decision, with the carmaker concerned about the imposition of new tariffs after the UK leaves the EU.

Rival Japanese carmaker Nissan also cited Brexit as one reason for cancelling plans to build its X-Trail SUV in Sunderland earlier this month."
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

white exec wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 20:17
And trade minister Fox today claims the Swindon closure is a result of the decline in demand for diesel.

On a point of order - from the BBC article:
"Honda's Swindon plant produces both VTEC turbo petrol engines and diesel i-DTEC engines."
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Quite so, but the big picture for Honda has been petrol. They came into diesel fairly late on.
Didn't realise until this morning that so much of Swindon's output was diesel.
Chris
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Indeed, but if they're going to consolidate production back in their home country, it's not surprising they don't want to keep a factory going in a foreign country that builds (at least in part) an increasingly unpopular product.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

To add a touch of visuals here is a niocely presented earlyish 1999 "Swindon Civic" only 34,000 miles from new. A car which goes and stops, has four doors, and seats for passengers.
nf own work
nf own work
So whats going to happen to their big factory in 2022? Advertised for "redevelopment", covered in a brand new housing estate, or seen as an opportunity by an entrepreneur.

Is there a factory building electric vehicles on any sort of scale in the uk? Nissan of course, and maybe Geely in the form of the London Electric Vehicle Company who boast the UK’s first dedicated car factory to produce electric vehicles.

Is it going to be the first and the only dedicated factory to produce electric vehicles in the UK.......of course not....we are leaders in such things!!!!!!

So there's going to be an empty car factory at Swindon in 3 years time......surely its going to be utilised by the UK's 2nd,3rd or 20th dedicated factory to produce electric vehicles. There's a pool of labour there who can build vehicles as well. A word in Honda's ear may even persuade them that it could be a good idea.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I can see an opportunity at some point in the future for a company to produce modular electric powertrains. Cutting edge development and a flexible approach to allow smaller car manufacturers to slot them in to their own bodyshells. Add in an 'off the shelf' autonomous driving package and you could have a low to medium scale production facility building desirable cars just for the local market, with the main r&d costs taken up by the drivetrain manufacturer and not by the smaller scale car builder.
As an interesting side thought - will NCAP testing be relaxed when you get fully autonomous cars, as the likelihood of them crashing or hitting something will be massively reduced ?
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 20:29 No, quite, it’s nothing to do with the ‘B’ word, They can keep everything made in Japan, provide home jobs and probably reduce costs.

Too many cars being made, said it before.

If you believe it's nothing to do with the B word you'll believe anything. Yes, it's to do with that wonderful new trade deal the EU has with Japan...BUT I' m pretty sure that if the UK had remained in the EU, Honda wouldn't have gone to the massive expense of transferring production to Japan, creating bad feeling with all the job losses (sure to affect sales), the added expense of transporting the finished product to Europe from Japan etc... as they wouldn't have any tariffs to pay on UK produced cars. I wonder what sort of pay-off May gave Honda to state it was nothing to do with Brexit?

Brexiteers will blame all these closures on anything but the truth.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

bobins wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 20:42
white exec wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 20:17

On a point of order - from the BBC article:
"Honda's Swindon plant produces both VTEC turbo petrol engines and diesel i-DTEC engines."

Anyone who believes *anything* the fantasist Mr. Fox says is as deluded as he is.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

bobins wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 20:53 Indeed, but if they're going to consolidate production back in their home country, it's not surprising they don't want to keep a factory going in a foreign country that builds (at least in part) an increasingly unpopular product.

Yes! Especially one that already exists, runs well, is efficient...

Oh. The cars produced will be subject to tariffs anywhere apart from the country they're made.

Nope, nothing to do with the B word at all.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Having just listened to the Japanese ambassador to the UK on Radio 4, he says Honda are ceasing production at Swindon when the model comes to the end of its life cycle. They are also shutting their factory in Turkey at the same time. They wish to consolidate new model production with new electric motive power back in Japan.
But then again, what does the Japanese ambassador know ????? :?
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

bobins wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 13:21 Having just listened to the Japanese ambassador to the UK on Radio 4, he says Honda are ceasing production at Swindon when the model comes to the end of its life cycle. They are also shutting their factory in Turkey at the same time. They wish to consolidate new model production with new electric motive power back in Japan.
But then again, what does the Japanese ambassador know ????? :?

Well, he knows that Turkey is not in the EU either...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

In a statement they said: "The significant challenges of electrification will see Honda revise its global manufacturing operations, and focus activity in regions where it expects to have high production volumes
VP of Honda
They are clear this is based on global trends and not Brexit as all European market production will consolidate in Japan in 2021.
Swindon North MP Justin Tomlinson
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc