What've You Had in Yours?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: What've You Had in Yours?

Post by white exec »

Must admit to a load-lugging defeat with our XM hatch, back in year 2000.
On honeymoon around the Italian Lakes, we stumbled across a tile/ceramic warehouse near Lake Orta, and as we were in the middle of renovating a hallway and a couple of bathrooms back in the UK, we got smitten with some Italian tiles.
Spent quite some time choosing what we liked, phone calls to our son in UK to confirm m², and got everything priced up. AOK, so far...
It then dawned on me that the weight could be considerable, and I was amazed that the owner's daughter managed to calculate it within a few minutes: 800kg :shock:.
We didn't make the purchase, but it was an interesting shopping expedition! :roll:
Chris
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Oooh, that's a bit of a disappointment, always thought the Accord looked like a really decent sized Estate.
Never seen inside one though hence my ignorance til now of the facts.

My 405 takes Mum's old style "DMA" Wheelchair complete 'On End', but for its Foot-Rests on one side of the car with the forward and rear parcel Shelf lugs swapped for a pair of bolts with a large washer & locknut on each end & a Bungee.

Its a boon when you've got other luggage, not having to lay it down taking up the whole Boot.

We started off with a lightweight modern one, but I suggested one of these, with its pneumatic rear tyres would be more comfortable and that's proved very much the case.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8

Chris: I used to work for a Tiling Company many moons ago. Our then recent Bedford CF2 would only take as many packs of 6" square floor tiles as would fit in just one layer over the load area.
Puxa
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Pops is Fiercely independent so a small rear wheeled chair is a definite no, he has a std folding quickie chair, up until recently had no aids on the car at all to help him drive, but after much badgering from me and an incident were he drove home from france with a ferry trip etc with a Broken right hip, doing from the port in plymouth back to st. Austell with his foot on the accelerator and the handbrake as a brake - dont ask!! He has had hand controls fitted and now transfers into the car, dissembles the chair and puts it all on the passenger footwell and seat, ots a lovely car, well spec'd, but 3in the back is a struggle woth an adult, 12year old dauggter and 8yr old daughter you are squashed right in!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

All light weights, try cast iron radiators :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I had an early BMW 5 series estate and it had no room in it at all, even the dog couldn't stand up straight.

Peter
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

The issue of size in modern estates was a big plus for my getting the van. Especially as the prices of the nice old Merc and Volvo ones have gone stupid.

I've been pulled by the police once so far in the Lada because they thought it was overloaded because the body roll sees the outboard mud flap nearly touch the ground. Nothing on board but me and a full tank of fuel...if I'd got four people on board the flap would definitely be dragging! They just do that!

Have to admit, I'd still like a Volvo...Early 240 (before the interior facelift) preferably, in denim blue with a brown velour interior. I'd not be picky though.

The Activa will be getting loaded up quite a bit soon as I've a lot of stuff that needs to go to the tip and they get upset if you take a van in (even a camper!) so that will be happening soon. Suitably carefully to make sure the interior doesn't get bashed or filthy unduly of course as she's more cherished classic than workhorse these days.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Most worrying load I've had in my C5 estate is 200 Redland concrete roof tiles. I needed around 120 to do a project at home and getting a small quantity would have cost around £60 collected. I saw an advert on ebay for 200 left over from a re-roofing job. I bid and got them for £22 but they were 35 miles away. I was worried about the weight so I borrowed a tile to weigh. One tile was 1.35Kgs. So I was happy.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I used to carry a lot of ex Granada TV's from all over the country and got stopped by the police several times but they were OK when I showed them the receipts. Got stopped on the M5 once in light rain, they looked at the paperwork and sent me on my way but obviously didn't notice I had no drivers side wiper, the arm had detached itself and flung across the motorway just before they stopped me.

Peter.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Timmo wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 20:38....from the port in plymouth back to st. Austell with his foot on the accelerator and the handbrake as a brake
OMG that is definitely not one to recommend. He sounds like a right Character! I hope I'll be similarly independent, spirited and still motoring abroad at his age. Good on him! I take it he only told after he'd got safely home.

Hmm, so the two Estates that both looked reasonably sized (from the outside) Peter, I was both mistaken about, not that I’d ever want to own a modern BMW. Accord maybe... I’ll remember that next time I’m getting all Anglo-Saxon under the car and wondering ‘where do you draw the line’.

Were TV’s generally nicked back in the day when they required a fit man to lift em? I bet your average House Burglar was as fit as the Bin Men back then! Must've been one of the priciest items in the house.

I do like your taste in Estates Zel, shame prices have gone silly and inevitably good useable cars will be sitting in someone’s garage as merely an investment. Is the ride quality in the Lada on a par with the Body Roll? Last time I went to the tip they charged me £1 or so for a bag of wood, its classed as DIY Waste apparently.
Puxa
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I usually have these in mine - and don't I know it afterwards :roll:
Big Mac.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

on the subject of McD's, did you see this? [-X
Attachments
McD.JPG
Puxa
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well I guess even robbers need to eat, but they just don’t like paying for it!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Puxa

The BMW estate looks big from the outside as you say but it has a very high floor level, certainly wasn't much good for carrying the TVs. The engine was nice, straight six diesel but I only managed 47 mpg to Scotland driving very gently, the XM's would do nearer 55 mpg. The seats were uncomfortable too. The ride wasn't bad but they had sensible tyres on them in those days.

Peter
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

not much to say about Peugeot-ism of late, but with house move in full swing, this is novel.

One car, two double wardrobes. His & Hers Pine. Seems Pine's very out of fashion of late, with prices accordingly rock bottom; but we like it, so all good! Gallon & a half of fuel, pleasant round trip and an 8oz steak for a fiver to finish the day (Hungry Horse Tues' deal)! Trailer is un-hitched, at the Pub for tea.

House move most definitely not welcome, but I've got a Driveway; wahey!
Attachments
Two Wardrobes 1a.jpg
Puxa
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Once bought a 2m metal uplighter back from France - in a BMW 323i cabrio; oh, there were 2 of us in the car!

Obviously, it wasn't the weight that presented the challenge.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o