Forums still dead ?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 09:30 The whole concept of FB is a masterstroke. If you don't sign up like all your friends then you'll be a Nobby-no-mates and no one will contact you or like you any more.
Superbly engineered peer pressure at it's best whose primary function is revenue generation for other people. Fantastic !

Yes, and just like smartphones, the Internet and email, it's no longer a plaything and a 'nice to have' but an essential part of one's life...

That's the master-stroke...

I know I'd be lost without Facebook and one institution very dear to me might well cease to exist...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think that the rubbish phone calls we get and junk mail seem to indicate that everyone already knows all about me, but then I'm a pretty open sort of person so there is not much anyone could find out that I wouldn't tell them if they asked me, so it doesn't worry me a lot. :)

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

bobins wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 09:06 A question for those with a better understanding of the situation than I have:
*IF* FB have harvested data about me from contact I've(1) made to FB users, then how does the data that's produced differ from data gathered during the paper's phone tapping scandal ? It's the concept I'm asking about as opposed the actual nitty-gritty of what's acquired.
(1) - I'm not a registered FB user.
The first few paragraphs of their Data Policy would prevent me from reading further, yet alone sign up for it:
https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/
The cop out of course is in the classic line:
....By using or accessing the Facebook Services, you agree to this Statement, as updated from time to time...
So despite the fact that you have basically given them permission to geotag, photo-fit and spy on everything you do using any of their services, they can change the terms at any time as long as they notify you by email - so another reason for people to make the time to read the T&Cs!!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

bobins wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 09:30 If you don't sign up like all your friends then you'll be a Nobby-no-mates and no one will contact you or like you any more.

Excellent. I'm glad I've closed my account then! Peace at last.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 10:52 I think that the rubbish phone calls we get and junk mail seem to indicate that everyone already knows all about me, but then I'm a pretty open sort of person so there is not much anyone could find out that I wouldn't tell them if they asked me, so it doesn't worry me a lot. :)

Peter

Same here... Going shopping this morning it occurred to me just how much Tesco know about me courtesy of my Clubcard...

They know my name, phone number(s), address, what I buy in Tesco, my spending habits and no doubt much else... From that they can deduce a hell of a lot about me. I have a Tesco mobile phone and I'm sure they know another whole raft of stuff about me from that too...

That, for me, puts it well into perspective...

And we're all on the electoral roll (by law) to some extent so basically, those that want to send us crap have plenty of ways of getting our name and address to do so without ever going near Facebook or the like...

There's bugger all we can do about it so just accept it, stop fretting about it and get on with making the most of every minute of every day and enjoying life..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Michel wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 11:19
bobins wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 09:30 If you don't sign up like all your friends then you'll be a Nobby-no-mates and no one will contact you or like you any more.

Excellent. I'm glad I've closed my account then! Peace at last.

^^^^^^^^^^
That made me chuckle :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

At least with a Clubcard or Nectar points or other loyalty card you get a financial inducement - either perceived or actual - for signing up, and the data collected is centred around spending habits. The inducement for FB, as far as I can see, is down to peer pressure. To me, that's not good :?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 12:05 The inducement for FB, as far as I can see, is down to peer pressure. To me, that's not good :?

Not for me it's not... It's an essential tool for conducting a lot of my social life, especially my sporting activities and some of my other arcane interests ;)

One VERY strict rule I have on FB is that my Facebook friends are strictly those I know and see very regularly in person. i.e they are my real friends/family and not any old person who happens to want to be my friend on FB. If I don't know you as a friend in the normal sense of the word you will not be a 'Facebook friend'

And it's bloody excellent for keeping in touch with my diverse set of friends :)

As I say, I'd be lost without it :D
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

bobins wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 09:30 The whole concept of FB is a masterstroke. If you don't sign up like all your friends then you'll be a Nobby-no-mates and no one will contact you or like you any more.
Superbly engineered peer pressure at it's best whose primary function is revenue generation for other people. Fantastic !

I R Nobby-NoMates :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 11:39
Peter.N. wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 10:52 I think that the rubbish phone calls we get and junk mail seem to indicate that everyone already knows all about me, but then I'm a pretty open sort of person so there is not much anyone could find out that I wouldn't tell them if they asked me, so it doesn't worry me a lot. :)

Peter

Same here... Going shopping this morning it occurred to me just how much Tesco know about me courtesy of my Clubcard...

They know my name, phone number(s), address, what I buy in Tesco, my spending habits and no doubt much else... From that they can deduce a hell of a lot about me. I have a Tesco mobile phone and I'm sure they know another whole raft of stuff about me from that too...

That, for me, puts it well into perspective...

And we're all on the electoral roll (by law) to some extent so basically, those that want to send us crap have plenty of ways of getting our name and address to do so without ever going near Facebook or the like...

There's bugger all we can do about it so just accept it, stop fretting about it and get on with making the most of every minute of every day and enjoying life..

I have just been trying to buy - click and collect - a cooker from Tesco and they have completely forgotten me.
I only shop there about twice a year :)