JLR selling off a collection

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: JLR selling off a collection

Post by wurlycorner »

Yep. The pedal cars are very collectable
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

CitroJim wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 16:58 The P8 is a looker too... When I first saw it I instantly thought Jensen Interceptor :)
Did Bache design the Jensen?
Presumably the P8 engine was a larger version of the P6 3.5 V8? Or was it an entirely new engine?
Don't think David Bache had a hand in the Jensen, although he did do a lot else (apart from Rover) including Leyland bus and truck, and I think some work for Saab. He did admire Daytona design, which had an influence on his SD1 and P8. Citroen's DS was a huge influence on P6: put the two side by side and you see immediately; structurally, too - body panels hung on a base unit.

Proposed engine for P8 was an enlarged version of the 3.5 V8. When originally a Buick 'small block' aluminium V8, it appeared in various capacities, right up to 300 cu in (5000cc). Rover opted to re-cast and machine it to 215 cu in (3.5 litre), and over the years opened it up to 3.9, 4.0 and eventually 4.4 litre. At 3.5 litre, so much metal (aluminium) was left in place that the block was nigh-on indestructible.

There were attempts to diesel-ise it (the 'Iceberg' project), but compression and heads were an issue, and it was shelved. An Iceberg V8 is on display at BMIHT Gaydon, iirc.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks for that Chris, most interesting :) A V8 diesel in those days would have been a real ground-breaker in a car...

Such a shame it (and the P8) never happened :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

white exec wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 08:02There were attempts to diesel-ise it (the 'Iceberg' project), but compression and heads were an issue, and it was shelved. An Iceberg V8 is on display at BMIHT Gaydon, iirc.
Indeed there is, or at least was when I was there 25 years ago. I found it very interesting.

The Internal Fire Museum of Power in Tan-y-groes told me there were hoping to get one for display when I went there a couple of years ago. I must go and visit again.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

The Iceberg development wasn't all wasted. I think that the crankshaft for the proposed diesel became the basis of some of the larger capacity engines, initially from a separate tuning firm, but later the rights were bought back in to Rover itself. It had thicker journals, which if reduced to the original size but cunningly done on a displaced centre could give a longer stroke. So maybe 3.9 has larger bore, and 4.3/4.4 (5.0?) has this other crankshaft
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Little Video in this article about the sale from AutoClassics

https://www.brightwells.com/news/autocl ... exclusive/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Time to put your money where your mouth is fellas. Just £2500 deposit gets you a seat at the table, so to speak. Should be an interesting auction.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

Eddie Nuff wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 11:09 Just £2500 deposit gets you a seat at the table

Gish! And gosh too... That's a lot to pay...

Not likely to be any bargains there then...

An auction for the deep of pocket only by the sounds of it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Brightwell's reserves are usually set at the top end so figures they will set the bar high expecting auction bids to follow. As it's a No Reserve auction that's not a given so I'm hoping the high 'entrance fee' puts quite a few off leaving a few bargains. That's the theory anyway, which I'm sure will be blown out of the water and leave me with egg on my face. :oops: :roll:
NewcastleFalcon

That £2500 is the on-line deposit refunded in full should you not win any bids, and of course if your wining bid/bids are less than the deposit the balance is refunded. just let’s you participate in tha auction on-line, for which you have to register. Deposits have to be lodged by close of business the day before the auction.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

That's what I said, get's you a seat at the table.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I phoned up today to ask about the deposit. If you're attending in person then you don't pay a deposit but you do need to register to bid and you need some identification for that. In addition, you have to purchase a catalogue (£20) to bid.

There is viewing all day tomorrow (Tuesday) from 9am - 7pm. On Auction Day the room opens at 9am and the auction starts at 11am. Viewing is possible during this time. The auction works its way through the items in lot number. Which means that it's model cars first, then the pedal cars, etc. There are some 200 items before the cars start and it's still possible to view them while the lesser items are being auctioned.

They were very reluctant to give a time for when the cars might start being auctioned. When cars are normally being auctioned they manage 30 to 40 per hour. This doesn't really help with how quickly they'll work their way through the models though. The best they could suggest is that you would be safe to leave it until 1pm for the cars!

Anybody else planning on going?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

NewcastleFalcon

Would like to go in person but the logistics haven't worked out. will be taking an interest in it from afar though but whether that interest turns into an active interest I have less than 24 hours now to decide!

Now if I just decide to watch and "my lot" goes for bargain money I will no doubt be kicking myself. I do think the more likely tale is that it will exceed the amount I think would give me a chance of enjoying it as a project and bringing it back into use, while at the same time offering the prospect of a later resale at increased value.

Maybe an absentee bid is the best way for me. I thought I got the "flavour" of the auction at the ACA auction at King's Lynn last summer. Most lots were going under the estimated price so was hopeful of my lot doing the same. No chance bidding started virtually at my limit, and rapidly went past it.

Quote from the Brightwells "partner" transporter to get any potential purchase from the auction up here £575 plus VAT! Ways and means of doing it cheaper but probably still £200-£300 at its cheapest.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Well my 24 hrs is pretty much up, and I am afraid I havent got myself organised enough to actively bid on the auction.

Really needed to plan ahead a bit more, organise the time off, attend the auction in person, properly sort out the money side in anticipation of a successful bid, and have some plan for getting the car home.

I'll be watching the bidding on "my" pick of the sale with interest :-D
lot number 236
lot number 236
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Leaving soon.

See you there?