Electric vehicles-Conversions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by Mandrake »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: Just for balance the Renault Zoe is also well available secondhand now like this example. Plenty more where that came from but with it being a relatively new market, it is as well that the prospective purchaser gets really genned up about the "offers" and what they entail. Its always better to go into the negotiation where you know as much if not more than the person trying to sell you something and spouting the usual sales BS!:) .

http://usedcars.renault.co.uk/used-rena ... =se_na_re_
The original Renault Zoe (which those linked to will be) have only a 20kWh battery and a range of 80 miles at most. Also battery rental was the only option that it was ever sold with so no matter how old and worthless it was by the time you'd bought it you'd still be facing a reasonably hefty (relative to an old second hand car) monthly "rental" cost for the battery. Not a good deal when the car itself is down to banger prices IMHO!

The new Zoe has a 41kWh battery which gives around 130-140 miles per charge realistically and is sold either with battery rental or at a considerably higher cost without rental. So shopping for a second hand 41kWh Zoe you'd have to be careful to know whether the one you were buying had a rented or purchased battery...

After watching a few reviews I've kind of gone off the Zoe - even the new 41kWh version - it may be one of the cheapest EV's at the moment but it seems like it is a very basic entry level EV and not particularly good as a car in many ways. Here's one such review of the new 41kWh model which is very ambivalent:

They also own a Tesla and have posted reviews on a lot of other electric and hybrid cars.

And of course there is Robert Llewellyn review of the original Zoe in 2013:

And here is is review of the new 41kWh model:

Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Mandrake wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote: ....it is as well that the prospective purchaser gets really genned up about the "offers" and what they entail.
After watching a few reviews I've kind of gone off the Zoe - even the new 41kWh version - it may be one of the cheapest EV's at the moment but it seems like it is a very basic entry level EV and not particularly good as a car in many ways. Here's one such review of the new 41kWh model which is very ambivalent:

Just watched the first one Simon, all adds a bit more useful knowledge and there's plenty more of the same out there. I think personally at this stage I would fit into the "timewaster" category so don't think I could walk into a Nissan or Renault showroom and book an extended test drive of an EV. Thinking about it though that's exactly what you would want to do...even when considering investing in a second hand EV.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and todays Electrek selection a few pictures and a video of the Tesla Model 3 from the Gigafactory1

https://electrek.co/2016/05/10/tesla-mo ... res-video/

The grill-less front end of the model 3 is, dare I say it......very Renault Caravelle-esque!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

...and a touch of Chrysler Neon...
US starting price looking good. Unfortunately, US$35,000 translates into GB£35,000 :cry:
Chris
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I was reading the Gōteborgs Posten (Gothenbug Post) this morning and apart from a massive blaze in the Volvo factory in Torslanda, just outside Gothenburg, they had news of Volvo electric busses being sold to Harrogate.
Transport Engineer

PRNewswire
NewcastleFalcon

Just found out that although Volvo Cars are owned by Geely-Auto from China, Volvo Buses/Trucks and suchlike are a still a separate entity with a base in Sweden although owning amongst other things, Renault Trucks. The companies still share the Volvo logo and co-operate in running the Volvo Museum.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Brilliant. Good to see. It's beginning to roll!
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

Two stories at Electrek https://electrek.co/

are linked in some way.

Firstly there is an article about Honda parthering with Hitachi to make electric motors, the other about a Europe wide partnership on charging stations.

https://electrek.co/2017/02/07/honda-hi ... le-motors/

https://electrek.co/2017/02/07/electric ... ks-europe/

Honda are one of the few automakers still pursuing fuel cell electric vehicles, and with Battery EV's and networks to support them being the order of the day, a suggestion that Honda may be hedging their bets with this move.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Have hydrogen fuel cell vehicles lost out to BEV's?

Well once the R&D shuts down, the game is just about up!

http://evobsession.com/samsung-sdi-clos ... batteries/

Next logical question

How long before ICE vehicles lose out to BEV's and car makers shut down their R&D into petrol and Diesel ICE?

Maybe a bit longer because the "Car Makers" will be a little more reluctant to write-off their investments in ICE, and want to shift their existing stocks, and utilise ICE manufacturing capacity, and production lines.

The BEV makers without such baggage could very well dominate the emerging market. With Gigafactory 1 not fully opereational and plans for gigafactory2 in Europe you would think that Tesla would have enough on their plate for now, but apparently not.

(Electrek.co)Tesla aims to launch in India as soon as this summer, says CEO Elon Musk

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Honda's flagship fuel-cell model the Clarity, is also to have a BEV version the Electric Clarity, and a Plug-in Hybrid Version. More evidence of hedging of bets against a background of very slow development of a hydrogen refuelling network.

https://electrek.co/2016/04/21/honda-cl ... c-plug-in/

Toyota's flagship fuel cell model is the Mirai, but is having difficulty selling them even in the US, where much investment has been put into hydrogen refuelling stations but without much effect. Toyota also announced in November 2016 that they were appointing Akio Toyota, the company’s CEO and grandson of founder Kiichiro Toyoda, as President of a new ‘EV Business Planning’ department to steer the production of long range battery powered electric cars by 2020.

https://electrek.co/2016/11/07/toyota-l ... s-failing/

The other major Fuel Cell player is Hyundai, who also appear to be going with the current flow, and planning a range of BEV and Plug in Hybrids, while keeping a token hand in the Fuel Cell Vehicle "market" with one fuel cell model.

https://electrek.co/2016/11/16/hyundai- ... cars-2020/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
Mandrake wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote: ....it is as well that the prospective purchaser gets really genned up about the "offers" and what they entail.

Just watched the first one Simon, all adds a bit more useful knowledge and there's plenty more of the same out there. I think personally at this stage I would fit into the "timewaster" category so don't think I could walk into a Nissan or Renault showroom and book an extended test drive of an EV. Thinking about it though that's exactly what you would want to do...even when considering investing in a second hand EV.

Regards Neil
Just came across their review of the 2012 Peugeot Ion, also known as the Citroen C-Zero:

Keep in mind this is a 5 year old design and is most definitely a "short range" EV with a realistic range per charge of 80 miles in the summer and 60 miles in the winter, so it falls squarely into the "second car runabout" category not a primary vehicle, however this is about the same range (maybe slightly less) than the first generation 20kWh Zoe which also only managed 80 miles max, and from the review above it looks like it may be a lot nicer car in other regards.

For example remember they complained about even the basics in the Zoe, like the seats being very uncomfortable (even in the new 40kWh model) and the ride being skittish at the back, no such complaints here. They basically gave the new Zoe the thumbs down whereas the Ion gets a good thumbs up in the review, within the scope of what the car is.

At £5000 for a 5 year old second hand one in good nick, I wonder if this could be the perfect "dip your toes in" introduction to small EV's as a second car ?

It's clearly not designed to be a primary car with that short range however my daily commute is only 16 miles round trip, maybe 20 if I divert for groceries and errand running. Likewise it would be the perfect shopping basket to make the mile trip to get groceries without firing up a cold V6 for such a short journey. With a 16kWh battery it can fully charge over night from a 13A socket no bother so I wouldn't even need to install a fast charge socket at home. So I could see a car like that if it is a nice enough car in other regards replacing my daily use of the Xantia for both commute and shopping, leaving the Xantia as a weekend car for trips!

I had already been considering something like a C1 as a second car for short commutes, (and also trying to convince my other half to sit her driving test so I'm not chief taxi driver all the time!!) and a C1 would certainly have no issues with range being a petrol car, however the C1 is a rather small car in terms of boot size for fitting prams etc... I'd have to check the specs but it looks like the Ion/C-Zero is quite a bit longer bigger car than the C1 for about the same money, but with shorter range - maybe a better compromise for a short daily commute, and a way to get started in EV's, and so that I don't just end up with two polluting petrol cars instead of one ??

Being a Peugeot/Citroen I presume my Lexia would work with it for diagnostics - that would have the diagnostic side of the car covered too. :)
Simon

1978 CX 2400
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I can heartily recommend a C1 Simon... Excellent little cars and very, very frugal. I had one from new... I can't comment on the Lexia as I never had reason to even try connecting it...

It remains in my family even though it's no longer mine... It's Robyn's car now..

Electrically/electronically they are very simple. I believe they're not multiplexed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

One of my neighbours had a C1, loved it, until one day she nudged a bollard and got the edge of the wing stuck on the tyre, the cops came, breathalysed her.......................she doesn't drive now and the car's gone. :(
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote:I can heartily recommend a C1 Simon... Excellent little cars and very, very frugal. I had one from new... I can't comment on the Lexia as I never had reason to even try connecting it...

It remains in my family even though it's no longer mine... It's Robyn's car now..

Electrically/electronically they are very simple. I believe they're not multiplexed...
Hi Jim,

I was actually referring to plugging the Lexia into a C-Zero or Ion. As you know, diagnosing and doing DIY work on modern cars does somewhat require a diagnostic tool, so if the tool I already have would work on them that is bonus points for a Citroen or Peugeot EV rather than some other brand for which I would have no diagnostic tool. Being able to properly diagnose any faults or problems would take away some of the fear of the unknown of an EV, and in fact I could even use it to do a "health check" on a car I was potentially buying.

I'm sure a C1 is a great car but so long as I'm the only driver in the household it then just becomes a second car for me to drive that gives better MPG than the Xantia but at the expense of a lot less room and performance, and it is still a petrol car in a day and age where petrol prices keep increasing, and still has all the same maintenance items like oil and coolant changes, exhaust repairs and so on of an ICE car - it's just two conventional cars for me to maintain then instead of one! I've owned two petrol cars at once before and keeping them both maintained, warranted and on the road at once was a real pain!

But an EV as a second car appeals both as something that is theoretically even cheaper to run than a C1, cleaner running, cuts out a lot of the maintenance items of an ICE and gives a "toes in the water" early start to EV ownership, as I won't be able to afford a long range EV as my primary (or only) car for many years, probably at least 5-10 years, but I am impatient to get "into the game" so to speak... :) I love technology and waited for EV's for years and now feel a bit like the EV revolution is here and passing me by due to my current lack of funds.

I see EV's as the long term future of cars so to buy another small petrol car now seems to be an expedient (for MPG reasons) but not very forward looking action. Two years ago a car like a C1 was a no brainer but now a small second hand EV even a short range one that can cover the weekly commute and shopping trips is a serious contender for me.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Currently only 3 C-Zeros for sale on autotrader - and one is new. This one has cost about £3/mile in depreciation!! Not exactly cost effective for the original owner....
Richard W