The Pickled Egg Library

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: The Pickled Egg Library

Post by CitroJim »

Bobins, that's an amazing image!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Another perfect candidate for the Pickled Egg Library...

For the "Bricks with maker's name on" lover. There's plenty round here as my submission for POTD today testifies. North-East Collieries all had their local brickworks making use of the fireclay deposited along with the coal seams, and proudly stamped their names on their bricks.

But the North-East by no means has the monopoly on these reminders of times gone by. This website covers all the UK.....fascinating if like me you like a bit of industrial history.

http://www.brocross.com/Bricks/Penmorfa/index.htm

REgards neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

"The Longest Kill" by Sgt (technically Corporal of the Horse) Craig Harrison. It is NOT a nice read; if you know of somebody who wants to join the Army for the glamour this would almost certainly put them off.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 18 Oct 2020, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

This is semi-fascinating

This is semi-fascinating

365daysofmotoring.com

You put a date in and it comes up with a timeline of motoring-related stories occuring on that date. Have a go and pick something out.
screenshot
screenshot
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Calling all F1 followers

Post by mickthemaverick »

I thoroughly recommend "How to build a car" by Adrian Newey ISBN 978-0-00-819680-6 published by HarperCollins.
390 pages of absorbing information, tho admittedly the odd highly technical passage can get you confused, which any true F1 fan will find fascinating.
newey book rotated left.jpg

Probably best read before too many bevvies! :-D
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 13 Sep 2019, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

P.E.Library-Fair Wear and Tear

Dry as Sticks....probably but if you are PCP, PCH, PLP or whatever they call "renting an new car for a few years" here's the industry standard, for that end of lease/hire period fair wear and tear assessment.....
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

If you ever want to find out the whole story of the transatlantic undersea cables this site has it all. Tremendous detail.

History of the Atlantic Cable & Undersea Communications
from the first submarine cable of 1850 to the worldwide fiber optic network

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

May I suggest (just for the fun) "Tales from the White Hart" by Arthur C. Clarke. Basically it is like a load of tall fishing tales, but with science instead.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have been watching "The Trial Of Christine Keeler" as I vividly remember it happening and thought at the time it was great fun.
In retrospect a tragedy.

Christine's co-conspirator Mandy Rice-Davies, was famous for her quips and for some reason I thought that she had said "I'm a moist kind of girl" - it would have been typical of her.
This popped into my head half an hour ago and I tried to find it's source.
Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather when I found it.
“Too arid for my taste,” Sharrow smiled, rubbing her fingers up and down the stem of her glass. “I’m a moist kind of girl really, deep down.”
From one of my all-time favourite books, Iain M Banks' Against A Dark Background.
But the amazing thing I found was that the whole book is there to read online, free, apparently.

https://www.you-books.com/book/I-M-Bank ... Background

Not much use to me as I have a hardback copy of it bought years ago but a pleasant find nonetheless.

Just been reading the Vilanelle books (Killing Eve) bought for buttons from Kindle. Went to get the last in the series and it is an outrageous seven quid and not published until April :)
They bear little resemblance to the TV series.

Also bought a pre-order Kindle version of a Jeffrey Deaver book, again relatively expensive as I usually pay nothing or £0.99p.
Was supposed to be April for that too, came last week. Big disappointment, it was only about fifty ages and all about nothing.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've got a bookshelf full of motor related stuff. I'll sort a list later and put it all on offer...…..fed up of dusting it all. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Every cloud has a silver lining apparently, with the FCF disappearing for a few hours today, I defected to Autosh*te and discovered an absolute gem of a thread entitled
Chod North East. Spotting through time.
By Jim Bell, September 4, 2015 in AutoSh*te

https://autoshite.com/topic/21654-chod- ... me/page/7/

What an astounding collection of street scene Pictures of Newcastle and Tyneside , absolutely littered with "Chod" by which I presume he means old cars....but mainly not your pre-war ancient history but much of it late 60's 70's. Theres even the 88 Bus from Marlborough Street.....my bus from shopping trips into Newcastle in a stinky diesel fumed draughty smoke filled piece of nostalgic public transport. The thread has been going for 5 years and keeps getting added to......marvellous :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Somebody on another forum I am a member of was asking for book recommendations, and I remember being told about a book by Colin Kapp; "The Unorthodox Engineers". I got it for my Kindle (£3.99, as opposed to £150 for a hardback copy!), and the first chapter is rather amusing. I posted this up on that forum;

I have started reading "The Unorthodox Engineers", specifically "The Railways Up On Cannis". There are a few issues on this planet, including iron that will NOT harden, and volcanoes that pop up at short notice (if you watch the lichen you get 10 hours warning!). Anyway, here is a paragraph about the iron;

"The UE metallurgist was going quietly crazy trying to figure out why the Canian iron refused to harden. He finally decided it was due to the perverse allotropic form of the native carbon, and broke down an electrolytic refining cell of Terran origin to gain a less temperamental sample of the element. Two pounds of this steel prepared in the laboratory exhibited a cold short brittleness of such a degree that it was rendered into iron filings by a few taps of a hammer. Increasing the silicon content and using Canian carbon he obtained a steel with the same tensile strength as lead. At this point he broke down and wept bitterly, then went out and joined in the construction work."
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
NewcastleFalcon

One for the Keynesians and the Pagnellians
Zelandeth wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 01:52 Things I learned today: The music video for Cliff Richard's Wired for Sound was recorded virtually on my doorstep.
Never knew that until someone pointed it out to me earlier.
From Zel's selection on the Pickled Egg Jukebox
https://www.totalmk.co.uk/music/how-mil ... ok-out-now
Milton Keynes - Wired For Sound' cuts through the foundations of the new town and talks to many of those responsible for building music into its fabric.
The book digs beneath the concrete and explores some of the music makers and risk takers who have made Milton Keynes a more colourful place.

Step back to the early days of rock 'n' roll and the famous Wilton Hall dances, learn more about the jazz stars who poured their passion into a music venue here, and join some of the National Bowl headliners as they recall standing on the world-famous stage.

The book is an opportunity to learn more about the Father of Loud, Jim Marshall, and the pages also probe the stories behind some of MK's most popular bands and figures, past and present.

Milton Keynes-based author Sammy Jones has spent three decades writing about the music scene in the town and decided to tell the stories in the 350-page book.
A 360 page book on
How Milton Keynes became wired for sound.
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 25 Jan 2021, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've been reading this for a second time...
Goodreads
Goodreads
It's always been of great interest to me as it happened relatively local to me...

This book goes into exquisite detail in all areas... How it was planned, how it was executed, the forensics, the hunt for the suspects and the subsequent trial...

This is possibly the best account I've read to date and despite sounding a bit 'dry' on the face of it, the book is a bit of a 'page-turner' and a good well-written enjoyable discourse...

Some of the revelations may surprise...

Highly recommended...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 17:26 I've been reading this for a second time...
No flicker of interest for this one Jim :?:

viewtopic.php?p=672879#p672879

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey