Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Picture(s) of the day..

Post by Peter.N. »

The second video worked OK Neil. No I haven't tried anything else, I was hoping it would cure itself, my last problem of wrong aspect ratio went away by its self after a few weeks.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I was here today :)
Own Work
Own Work
Not for long as it was the start and finish point for our bike ride today...

The racecourse is a truly beautiful place and just reeks of money!

Here's a shot of my two favourite wheeled devices together in the glorious sunshine this afternoon at the racecourse...
Own Work
Own Work
We started our ride of 75 miles in the thick fog and by the time we arrived back the sun was shining :) It's been a fantastic day and indeed a cracking weekend :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

IMAG0068.JPG
Where is this then?

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Peter.N. wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 23:25 IMAG0068.JPG

Where is this then?

Peter

You would be disappointed if I didn't know Peter.

Some way back in this thread up came Dene Motorcycles of Haymarket Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 5#p507619

and the significance of Dene Motorcycles...as well as providing much of the furniture/fittings and other paraphernalia for "Town Garage"....it was the source of the Cash-Ball System for the Co-operative Store.

This is a decent read if you can be bothered....lots of pics and info...and if you like the short history of the Dene Motorcycle itself its there too.

http://beamishtransportonline.co.uk/wp- ... lesopt.pdf

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've really got to go to Beamish... Shame it's so bloody far away from me...

This year I'm going to try though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Its further away from me Jim :wink:

You are well travelled Neil 8-) Under the glass on the counter is a headlight bulb of the type my pre war Ford Prefect used. The sign 'Accumulators charged' was also on our shop window and was one of my first jobs.

The Co-op store is almost the same as the one we had in Petts Wood in the '40-'50s and the living quarters of the doctor and dentist are just like my grandparents house in Bromley.

The had a '50s exhibition on last time we went, all the things we used to sell and repair.

I see they have a classic car show on the 30th September, sadly our last years tickets expire about the 25th. :(

Have a night or two at the Scotch corner travel lodge Jim, its not far from there, the Skeeby one is better its off the road, and not to far from Tesco at Catterick where you can get a cheap cooked breakfast.

Its well worth a visit, 350 acres of everything including trams, railways and other vintage vehicles. Admission very reasonable and tickets can be used as often as you like for a year. We will probably go up in May this year, book early at the Travelodge and you can get really good prices.

Peter

(I have no connection with any of the above companies) :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I must go and plan a trip up that way Peter ;)

First, I'd better check my passport is up to date and has a valid visa for north of the Watford Gap :lol:
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

We've not had a bridge for a while... my usual road to work is closed due to subsidence. On the diversion route I spotted this rather fine, but sadly disused, viaduct:
avonviaduct.JPG
The road that is closed goes down into the gorge that this bridge spans - there were plans afoot 20 years ago to build a new high level road viaduct, but the council ran out of money, and they have remained on paper ever since! The road is a real clutch busting bottle neck!!

avonmap.JPG
Some further info Westfield viaduct
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I always love a good viaduct Richard :D That one's a particularly lovely one too!

Shame it's in such poor condition :(

And an even bigger shame the old railway and viaduct does not appear to have been taken over by Sustrans and become a nice cycle and walking route :(

I hope one day to hear good news on both those fronts....
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Maybach 210 v12
Capture.JPG
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 13:53 Maybach 210 v12
Capture.JPG

I never knew you were into railway locomotive engines Alasdair :D

That's all I know Maybach for ;)

They engined, amongst others, the famous 'Western' class of Diesel-Hydraulics used on the British Rail's Western Region - i.e. down your way...

Lovely locomotives :D I used to watch them race through our village as a kid from a great vantage point at the bottom of my grandparents garden which backed onto the line :D I reckon they were what originally made me fall in love with big diesels and railways in general...
Geof Sheppard - via Wikipedia
Geof Sheppard - via Wikipedia
This photo was taken in preservation on the West Somerset Railway with a Minehead train departing Bishops Lydeard...
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Their first "big" engines powered Zeppelins Jim, then they used those engines (developments) in the S-Boats (ww2 torpedo boats).
Maybach engines powered most German tanks and Prime movers.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 14:23 Their first "big" engines powered Zeppelins Jim, then they used those engines (developments) in the S-Boats (ww2 torpedo boats).
Maybach engines powered most German tanks and Prime movers.

Wow! Now there's interesting :D Especially that about the S-Boat. Another engine that ended up in a railway locomotive was originally developed for a Royal Navy Motor Torpedo Boat - the legendary Napier Deltic...

The use of a diesel engine in the German S-Boats made them less prone to fire to that of the petrol engines used in fast attack craft previously so the RN and US Navy copied the idea...

Was the Zeppelin engine a diesel too? My (albeit limited) research has failed to answer that question adequately...
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Yes

There was a Maybach engine plant in France, and a large refurbishing facility as well, based at SOMUA facilities I think.
The main facility was on the shores of Lake Lucerne outside Friedrichshafen.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

CitroJim wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 08:57 I've really got to go to Beamish... Shame it's so bloody far away from me...

This year I'm going to try though...
happy to share old pix of a couple of my visits there if you like Jim, might inspire you further. Absolute doddle to get there, straight up the A1. Make a few days of it and take in Lindisfarne and the Angel of the North while you're at it; in the same area. Use the Bus if you can't face the drive :-D
Puxa