Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day..

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

For train enthusiasts and Isle of Wight enthusiasts on the FCF, here's a picture of the day.

Inspired by my own curiosity for seaside piers, and a random incident over at the Pickled Egg, I give you...

A class 483, Island Line former London Underground train! (1938 Tube Stock no less and still in service nearly 80 years later..not bad for an EV :-D )

Class 483 "Island Line" train - geograph.org.uk - 1407091 [CC BY-SA 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], by Ian Capper, from Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 05 Nov 2017, 13:40, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

And the Isle of Wight railway is one of the most reliable in the country.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Neil, that is a most wonderful picture :) Thanks for posting it up... Love it!

I'm planning a cycle ride around the island next year and seeing such a picture makes it all worth it too :)
Hell Razor5543 wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 13:38 And the Isle of Wight railway is one of the most reliable in the country.

Because it uses well-proven and solidly reliable 80 year old rolling-stock! There has to be a lesson in there somewhere ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Jim, let me know when you head over there. I have a cousin who lives there, and she may be able to offer advise. I feel sure that DeanXM will also be able to help.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 15:35
Hell Razor5543 wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 13:38 And the Isle of Wight railway is one of the most reliable in the country.

Because it uses well-proven and solidly reliable 80 year old rolling-stock! There has to be a lesson in there somewhere ;)

More likely because it's so short you could cycle the entire length of the line and not need to get out of first gear. :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 15:46 Jim, let me know when you head over there. I have a cousin who lives there, and she may be able to offer advise. I feel sure that DeanXM will also be able to help.

I will indeed James :) Thanks, appreciated muchly! I've already spoken with Dean about it...

Neil, not sure if this is a good one for POTD but this afternoon this happened... It is related to cars..

headgash.jpg

This injury was inflicted by the tailgate of one of my cars... Not my little darling Sally but my Pug of Love 207 :twisted:

Her tailgate struts are a bit iffy ad her tailgate does not rise fully without assistance... I forgot and loading my toolbox back into her from Sally I walked into her tailgate... It really bled... I must have a very hard head as it didn't hurt!!!

Secretly, I think the Pug of Love is jealous of Sally and this is her way of showing her disapproval to me ;)

EDIT: I don't know why I'm on my side in the photo above. Admins, can you please rotate me back to vertical?
Last edited by myglaren on 05 Nov 2017, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: image rotated
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 13:33

A class 483, Island Line former London Underground train! (1938 Tube Stock no less and still in service nearly 80 years later..not bad for an EV :-D )

Regards Neil

Interestingly.... or quite possibly not...... London Undergound carry close to 3 times the number of passengers in a day than the Island Line carries in a year. :shock:
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 16:08

Blood red !..... Hmmmm, wonder if that'd be a good colour for the Activa if/when Zel gets it ? :-D :lol:
Last edited by bobins on 05 Nov 2017, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 16:16 Blood red !..... Hmmmm, wonder if that'd be a good colour for the Activa if/when Zel gets it ? :-D :lol:

At least it shows I'm human and not some strange creature from a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse* :)

*HHGTTG fans will understand that one ;)
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

EDIT: I don't know why I'm on my side in the photo above. Admins, can you please rotate me back to vertical?

It's because you are on broadband Jim!

You need Tallband for upright photo's :twisted:

nicked from autoshite :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 18:16

It's because you are on broadband Jim!

You need Tallband for upright photo's :twisted:

nicked from autoshite :)

:rofl2: Love it! That's priceless :)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

So whats going on/about to happen in space exploration?

Well this is NASA's Orion Mission, part of the preparatory work for a potential Mission to Mars in the 2030's. Its mind boggling in its own right, and this simulation is an excellent introduction to the mission, should it all come together as intended.

and for the human aspects of space travel, a little insight from the space station can be found over in the ONTV thread. As well as the incredible technical difficulties, which have been pioneered with unmanned spacecraft to Mars, the human endurance, and courage required of the astronauts who eventually set off on a manned mission will be immense.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Interesting stuff Neil... I'll be looking forward to it happening and I'll be following with great interest and passion...

The natural drive of human endeavour will see it happen in the same way as all other great feats have been achieved - Everest, Antarctica, the moon landings, making a Pug 205GTi idle and so on... Bring it on as soon as possible I say

You'd need to be definitely proof against claustrophobia to even consider such a trip though. I'm well ruled out on that basis... A shames as I'd love a trip to Mars...

I don't even like travelling in a lift or using swimming pool changing cubicles because of it...

This is a tenuous link to space in a way...

This was Sally and Robyn's C1 parked next to each other earlier today... Space-wise there's little to call between them... Sally is only about six inches longer than the C1 overall...
Own Work
Own Work
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Yes "lost" on Teeside in unfamiliar territory in the early evening busy road darkness!

Took a wrong turning but ended up passing this Spitfire replica on a roundabout and a school named "Bader Primary" on the adjacent road.

Now thats far too much intrigue not to look it up!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.53342 ... 6656?dcr=0

Turns out the school was built on the site of Thornaby Aerodrome, and Sir Douglas and Lady Joan Bader opened the school in 1971.

https://picturestocktonarchive.files.wo ... t15142.jpg

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

When you sad "Spitfire" I imagined a Triumph Spitfire :oops:

Haven't seen that or heard of the existence of the airfield.
When I was much, much younger my family used to make an annual pilgrimage to RAF Middleton St. George - now South Durham Airport or similar.
My daughter and family live a mile from there now :)

My dad knew Douglas Bader, lived not far from their mansion.